OC ReMix BitTorrent Distribution: Issues; also SEEDERS WANTED

djpretzel

Well that was fast, lol - we got complaints, took it down. :(

Dang, if you were only pumping out 1/10th, of your available bandwidth, I'm REALLY surprised that people noticed and complained.

I usually only get in trouble when I'm using all the bandwidth for several hours at a time. <shrug>

Anyway, thanks for helping out. From the numbers, it looks like the bit torrent initiative is quite successful with nearly 2TB put out in less than 10 days. Pretty cool...

Aubrey

This is with OS X.2.8 and BitTorrent 3.2.2a.

Hmm, I didn't test that client. The system I'm using here is also on 10.2.8, but I'm using BitTorrent 3.3a. I bet if you upgrade to a newer client, your issues will go away.

Doh. I could have sworn I had the newest version. That one works. Thanks.

I would imagine djp would add a link to bt to the goodies section except for maybe a few reasons.. like, it is linked to in the forums here, on the main page as a spotlight, and on each download remix page.

And maybe more signifigantly, he is planning on unveiling the new site design sometime soon, so maybe he's just waiting to add it to the goodies section of the new site.

Also, some of the first 1000 remixes were removed because of request, and or submission violations that weren't discovered until later. But just the same, the bt remixes are the ones you can still download from this web site.

Aubrey

AAAAAAAAAAAAH! The songs are all messed up, they end to early and what's missing on one song is in the beginning of the next!

Is this just for me?

Is this only while downloading?

Is this the end of the world?

HELP!

Nope. I had that same problem, and I was a little nervous myself, but it all got sorted out in the end.

I was actually REALLY nervous, considering it was doing that to some files that I had archived on my hard drive... But just have faith. They all work great now. Better than ever.

*Breathes huge sigh of relief*

They oughta mention that at the Torrent . .. download . . . thing :wink:

I'll seed when I'm home... which won't be much for the next 3 months but probably lots more during the summer.

... I'm getting quite a few errors saying it can't open [x] file. Sometimes they are files that I had clearly heard working right minutes ago. Then I have to go and leave the Torrent and go back in (and then the thing re-checks stuff, probably costing you bandwidth and taking away valuable seeding time). And specific reason for this problem?

Hmm... I've been seeding for ~5 hours now, but my upload speed for both of the torrents is only ~15 kb/s. (My max upload speed being 1.2 Mb/s when not downloading). I looked around in some BT faqs but couldn't find anything on it. Is this low speed due to lack of people downloading things, or something else? Sorry if this is an unnecessary question.

If I had to guess, I'd say that all the people downloading from you are using modems. In order to get around that myself, I bumped up the number of connections my seed will talk to to like I think 20.. The default settings allow for a maximum of 4 users to connect to you.

If that is not the problem, please let us know.

I have noticed that sometimes, even though the torrent has an overall high download rate, my home connection sometimes downloads the data at a snails pace, and I'm not totally sure why.

Aubrey

Alright, on the BT site, it said that it will detect the mp3s you already have and will just not re-download them. However, I have several, 700mb, folders in an overall OCR directory so that I can keep it organized so I can just burn them whenever without having to pick and choose. Will BT read all of the mp3s in these subdirectories if I just set it to the top directory?

In nine hours I've downloaded 22.18mb and uploaded 269.36mb....is it suppose to be so disportional? I'm on DSL...I'm so not use to these 0-3k speeds. :cry:

And I tried turning off my firewall. I accessed my router, checked the "Disable Firewall" field, and saved it. Yet, still the light is yellow. God dammit...

EDIT: Through toiling, pain, and the terror of not being able to talk with my router for a few minutes, I finally got the firewall off and got port forwarding on for BT. Now the lights are green and the d/ls are slightly faster. Huzzah! (hey, 35 hours beats the hell out of 565 hours :P )

I'm seeding one of the torrents now. But it's getting, at most, about 12kb/s. And my d/ls only get up to about 25kb/s. Earlier in the thread people were talking about 500k and such. I have DSL, so why aren't I pumping out larger upload values?

I am assuming that there are not enought seeders distributing the file, and maybe moer than enough leechers. If you have Shadow's experimental BT (dunno about other BT programs), you can see how many people are d/l it and who has the complete files (they show the percentage complete).

Alright, say my upload rate is 15k. Is that 15k per person downloading off of me or 15k divided amongst them?

If you have Shdow's BT, then you can check who you are d/l from. This also applies to who people are uploading from you. When I am looking at my upload rates, I see that the total ul rate is just all of the uploading rates combined. So if it was 15k, in your case, then it would be that one person is ul at 2k, another at 6k, and another at 7k, which totals in at 15k.

I hope that this helps.

After a month of waiting and issues, I've finally had the bandwidth upped on SuperTux to 45 megabit! (5 & 1/2 Megabytes per second) Anyway, I've removed the bandwidth caps I had in place on my seeder, so now might be a great time to download the songs. I'll probably leave it that way for the weekend.

Aubrey <- finds some twisted happiness in contemplating how to use the newfound bandwidth.... :twisted: