two questions/ideas - mobile version of site, hardware/software reviews

first off, is there any plans for making a mobile (pda, psp, etc) version of this website - specifically, the forums? i know that i'm not the only person who tries to access the forums through a psp, and i'm sure that other people are interested in using their iphones and blackberries to get online.

second, something i'd love to see would be a hardware/software review forum built off of, say, the remixing forum. limit it to just new threads posted by members who've been around a while (to prevent spam), and have it also limited to just one post per item/subject. overclock.net does this pretty well with a custom interface, but i think that just using threads could be nice so that people aren't always posting "is [product] any good" threads in various forums.

just some ideas that i've been thinking about.

There was talk about a mobile ocremix forums a while back, I can see the words from the thread in my head, but who was saying them and if it was thread or irc I cannot remember. I also like the idea of the hardware forum. most people who come here do have PC questions and often need help.

Since I don't think everyone's got a netbook handy to surf on OCR at any given time, a mobile/smartphone version might be very appealing to some.

+1 for an Hardware/Software sub-forum nicely moderated & filled with interesting reviews.

It would be great to have something separate & organized, to find good gear or software in order to get a good headstart.

i'm more interested in a seperate mirror of the site's forums that's automatically rendered at 320x240 or whatever the standard mobile screen size is, similar to what gmail does with their mail. doesn't have to be an auto-detect thing, just a link that you go to. of course, that's just the forums - the site should be easier to mini-size since it's all dave's code, right?

as for gear, how long ago was that? i don't remember it, so that makes it older than april 2004. consider the number of users that have come here since then. we're what, four times larger than we were?

i'm more interested in a seperate mirror of the site's forums that's automatically rendered at 320x240 or whatever the standard mobile screen size is, similar to what gmail does with their mail. doesn't have to be an auto-detect thing, just a link that you go to. of course, that's just the forums - the site should be easier to mini-size since it's all dave's code, right?

as for gear, how long ago was that? i don't remember it, so that makes it older than april 2004. consider the number of users that have come here since then. we're what, four times larger than we were?

Personally I've seen a decline in forum-usage, ESPECIALLY any forum related to music production and remixing. Off-topic and community is still buzzing but the rest of the forum is quite frankly a ghost town.

Not everyone wants to be productive like us ;-)

Luke, where are your MM4 wips? :)!!

Personally I've seen a decline in forum-usage, ESPECIALLY any forum related to music production and remixing.

It may come from the recent re-arrangement of the forums...

But concerning the Remixing forum, it's more or less due to the lack of proper organization in general (exept for FL studio), which might confuse a new user.

To other users, since they know more or less how to make music, they only look it up when in need of precise information on a specific matter.

Which lead me to think there may be a need/way to split the remixing forum in two: beginner and advanced.

Maybe the beginner part with tutorials & basic questions could be in the Newbie section.

While the advanced part & more specific thread (EQ, mastering, filters) could be in the Remixing (or advanced remixing for that matter).

Dunno, just throwing ideas here. :wink: