Radio Free Gamer podcast

justinj212

Hey all,

I mentioned a while back that I was starting up a new podcast, Radio Free Gamer, on 8bitx.com. I'll feature VGM (original soundtracks, remixes, arrangements, or music related to video games) that can be downloaded for free on the internets. My goal is for this show to become a source for people to learn more about the many and varied VGM artists on the net.

To that end I need some online sources for free VGM as described above. Anything goes, as long as it's related to video games and is free to download. Please either respond to this thread with links, PM me, or email me at radiofreegamer@gmail.com. Please send anything fitting the description, I need as many sources as I can possibly get. If you yourself are a VGM artist and would like to be on the show, let me know. I'd also like to do some Skype interviews, as those are always fun.

I aim to start the show in June. Until then, you can check out the other shows on 8bitx.com. My show will be available as a podcast, and will also be aired regularly on 8bitx.com. I'll post again when the show is available. Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(latest)

This week Radio Free Gamer will interview MAGFest PR Director Nick Marinelli! We'll also give away 2 free passes to MAGFest! If you want the skinny on how to win, check out the forum post at 8BitX. As always, we're live from 7-9PM Eastern on Wednesday. If you guys have any questions about the contest, or if there's anything you want me to discuss with Nick during our interview, please leave them here or email them to me at radiofreegamer@gmail.com. Thanks!

Hey all,

My new podcast for free VGM airs next Wednesday, June 3rd at 7PM on 8bitx.com! The goal of this podcast is to introduce people to the many VGM artists on the internets, particularly those who offer their music free to download. I will have music, listener interaction via chat and Skype, and interviews with VGM pplz such as:

-The UMD Gamer Symphony Orchestra

-Larry Oji (Liontamer)

-Mattias Häggström (Another Soundscape)

-Andrew Luers (OA)

-Shinobininja

And many more!

Tune in live Wednesday June 3rd at 7PM, or download later as a podcast from 8bitx.com! I will have the exact address for the podcast in a bit, so stay tuned! Also, if anyone would like to point me towards some free VGM, would like to be interviewed, or has an idea for the show (perhaps a nifty segment or way to improve interaction between the audience and me) drop me a line at radiofreegamer@gmail.com! Also, if you're on twitter, follow justinj212 for updates!

Thanks,

-Justin Johnston

Hey all,

My new podcast themed around free VGM will air live tomorrow night at 7PM, only on 8bitx.com! It will then be available to download as a podcast from 8bitx.com. Each week I will feature spotlights on VGM artists, with music and exclusive interviews! This week I will showcase the UMD Gamer Symphony Orchestra with recordings from their recent concert and an interview with some of the head honchos there.

Anyway, I hope this will be the next big thing: an outlet for new VGM artists to promote themselves and for people to learn about and download some of the amazing VGM that's scattered around the internets. So please help spread the word, and tomorrow at 7PM point your browsers at 8bitx.com!

-Justin Johnston

Hey all! Listen to Radio Free Gamer this Wednesday at 7PM EST only on http://radiofreegamer.8bitx.com/ to hear a spotlight on OCRemixer and Composer Mattias Häggström Gerdt (Another Soundscape). We will air an exclusive interview discussing his site and his work scoring Xbox games, play tracks from those games and from OCR, and air a (semi) exclusive preview track from the upcoming Xbox game Kaleidoscope.

If you can't listen live, stay tuned for the podcast. I'll have the podcast for last week's show (spotlighting the UMD Gamer Symphony Orchestra) available sometime later tonight or tomorrow morning at http://radiofreegamer.8bitx.com/.

Hey all, here's a link to subscribe to my new podcast, Radio Free Gamer:

http://feeds2.feedburner.com/RadioFreeGamerPodcast

The show will be THE source for free VGM! Every week I'll spotlight a VGM artist, airing exclusive interviews and (sometimes) exclusive tracks! Listen live Wednesdays at 7PM EST on http://8bitx.com/ or download later via the podcast link above! Please help spread it around, as I need all the help I can get publicizing!

-Justin

Hey all! This week's episode of Radio Free Gamer (your source for the latest video game music and news) will feature an interview with Larry Oji (Liontamer)! We discuss N00BFL00D and the efforts OCR has taken to introduce new remixers into the OCR community! We also discuss the OCR convention schedule and the big contests that will take place over the next few weeks.

The show airs live on Wednesday at 7PM EST. You can listen to the show live here or download the episode later via podcast. If you have any questions, email them to me at radiofreegamer@gmail.com. You can also follow me via Twitter @justinj212 for updates!

Upcoming guests include Andrew Luers (OA), Jeriaska of Nobuooo and Gamasutra, and Raheem Jarbo (Random, Mega Ran). If you like the show, subscribe to the podcast and tell your friends! Thanks.

Raheem Jarbo (AKA Random AKA Mega Ran) will be featured on this week's episode of Radio Free Gamer. Tune in on Wednesday June 24th at 7PM EST to hear our discussion about his albums, his upcoming tour dates, and his work on an excellent upcoming project for Capcom! Listen live or subscribe to the podcast only at http://8bitx.com/.

Radio Free Gamer is a weekly radio show and podcast on 8bitx.com. The show is aimed at spolighting VGM artists through exclusive interviews and (when I can get them) exclusive tracks and announcements. The show airs live Wednesdays at 7PM EST and is posted to the podcast on Fridays. Listen live or subscribe to the podcast at http://8bitx.com/. Please email radiofreegamer@gmail.com with any questions and follow @justinj212 on Twitter for updates. Thanks!

Hey all,

This week on Radio Free Gamer we will feature an interview with Andrew Luers (OA), project director for Final Fantasy IV "Echoes of Betrayal, Light of Redemption." Not only will we have an exclusive interview, but we will also play two full-length preview tracks! The only place to get them (until the album releases) is on Radio Free Gamer at 8bitx.com! Listen live Wednesday at 7PM EST or download the podcast on Friday. Both links are in my signature.

Radio Free Gamer is a weekly internet radio show bringing you the latest free video game music! Every week we spotlight a VGM artist with exclusive interviews, tracks, and announcements! The show airs live Wednesdays at 7PM EST and is available as a podcast (updated Fridays). Learn more at http://8bitx.com/.

For those of you who have been paying attention: yes, this interview was also featured on my old radio show, 8-Bit Radio. But that was before I graduated from UMD and got kicked off the school radio station. This is a different show now. Good job spotting it though, you get a virtual pat on the back.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, under the suggestion of OA I have decided to make one thread for all my posts related to Radio Free Gamer rather than make a new thread every week. Please mark this thread for weekly updates on Radio Free Gamer, your source for FREE video game music and interviews!

This week on RFG, Jeriaska (writer for Nobuooo, Gamasutra, and GameSetWatch) joins us to discuss a roundtable he held with four independent game composers. This leads to an interesting conversation about music in independent games. Also discussed is his monthly series of video interviews with VGM artists.

Also, a very special Win of the Week for all you Valve fans and a preview of Otakon 2009 (or in other words, I tell you how I plan to distribute the 2,000 business cards I just ordered!).

Listen live Wednesday July 8th at 7PM EST only on 8bitx.com! The podcast will be updated Friday, or thereabouts. Links are in my sig. See you then!

This week on Radio Free Gamer, we have an exclusive preview of the OCRemix Donkey Kong Country 2 project! Joining us are project directors Bahamut and Geoffrey Taucer who will discuss this excellent follow up to the first ever OCRemix album, Kong in Concert! Not only that, but we have TWO EXCLUSIVE PREVIEW TRACKS that you can't get anywhere else! Tune in live on Wednesday at 7PM EST or download the podcast on Friday! The links are in my signature.

Also, last week's episode is now available to download via the podcast. Check it out if you missed the live show!

The episode with the DKC2 project interview and exclusive preview tracks has been added to the podcast! Check it out now by clicking the link in my sig. Thanks again to Bahamut and Geoffrey Taucer for being on the show! Check back next week for another episode of Radio Free Gamer (special "Otakon devoured my entire weekend so I had to put this show together in two days" edition!).

Thanks to everyone who went to Otakon! I met a ton of people who hopefully will become active members of the 8bitx community, and I had a great time at the panels, concerts, and every other bit of craziness that goes on at Otakon. I'll talk about that for a bit on the show.

As for this week, we will feature the new Final Fantasy 4 remix project: Echoes of Betrayal, Light of Redemption! We've been waiting a while for this album, and it was certainly worth the wait! Check out the show Wednesday at 7PM EST, and join the chat via the link on the homepage (hopefully some of the artists who worked on the album will be joining us). Check it out, only at 8bitx.com!

Will update the podcast tonight or tomorrow night. While I'm doing that, I'll also publish a blog post on the RFG page which will contain links to everything I played.

@Bahamut those were both by an artist (or group? I don't know, think the page was in Japanese) called Germania Monte Mario. Will post a link on the blog tonight or tomorrow.

Also, if anyone wants to check out what went down in the chat room, there is a mostly complete transcription in the chatroom memories section of the forum. You don't have to register to see it, but feel free to register and leave a comment if you would like! Trying to get some pplz on the forums is kinda hard actually >_>