OCR01093 - Breath of Fire "His First Good Deed"

djpretzel

Trenthian definitely knows what he's doing with the arranging part of this. Production is nice too. It's almost epic, in an understated way. Percussion is done very well.

Wait... here come the synths and the groove. Nice!

Wait... back to orchestral/ambient.

Wait... back to groove.

Damn, this is nice!

Wait... lots more groove. XD I won't write any more, just prepare for a nice little ride with this remix.

Wow, I wasn't expecting it to be this good, I was a bit reluctant myself about downloading this.. seeing as this is the first BoF, I feel that BoF3 and 4 deserve to be mixed too. Anyhow, I like it. As far as the whole "epic" ideal - it should have been more epic. I am biased towards it and would've credited it much more than I already do. Love the guitars! :wink:

Wow, just the other day I downloaded an original song by Trenthian called "Where our Travels Lead" and thought it was pretty cool. This song rocks, defiantly something a bit different but in a very good way. Without a doubt I'll be looking forward to more from Trenthian.

Wow. Just wow. (isn't this the third post starting with wow? The mix sure deserves it)

I love the music of this game more than any of the BoF games, maybe even all games I've played. But apart from the shot of nostalgia, the whole extra epic feel you added just give me goosebumps (especially the part with the battle sounds....even though many people didn't seem to like em that much. then again, I'm not an audiophile ;)). Personally, I think it's just epic enough. ;)

Beautiful.

TRENTHIAN? ACCEPTED???? 8O

Bah! It's my turn! :)

NO! It's mine! He beat me in the race! ;_;

HAha!race? you guys are way behind... the WIP I submitted for owa rounding the judges panel corner.. I know because I submitted it about 3 weeks after BOF :) it was finished then, and it is finished now :)

anyways

really good luck with your Submissions. Im confident in your work in general blake. Although I cant remember which one of yours you submitted! :)

to talk breifly about my BOF mix. I'd just like to say... the rooster is your king! also.. I would like to say. the SFX were not the focus of the peice, just there to help tell the story.

Story of Ryu's First good Deed

--- opening---> Ryu Arrives in Camlon, a desolated town, taken by monsters, the people have been kicked out of their homes, and the duke forced from his keep. The children are not safe.

---1:12---> Although its not really his quest and is going to be time consuming, Ryu decides that it is completely within his power to lend these people a hand.

It is on the way to Windia afterall anyways.

Ryu makes his way to the Ducharchy and tells them to step aside,

--- 1:35---> as a man on a mission he makes his way through the keep's gates (strutting is optional) and

--- 2:07 ---> lays eyes on the giant oak doors, which he then opens. The mysterious halls reek sour of spoiled and spilt blood.

---2:22 (make a wish ryu)---> he moves on down the halls. A great battle took place here. Bones lay scattered about...

---2:39--->Loses his cool for a moment,

---2:47---> he rebounds

---2:49---> and dumbly stumbles forward. His wits save him from a lethal claw swipe from a Giant Ugly Toad.

---2:52---> the battle between good and vile has begun! At first Ryu gets his bearings and musters up the will to stand his ground... but the beast is huge... by the crown it wears atop its head, it's likely also the leader of the monster incursion. the two face off in a lethal dance.

---3:35- A blow is struck upon the beast with keen precision! Ryu's courage is bolstered and the beast is bleeding and angry. As Ryu successfully connects a few more hits home, the Toad gains a second wind, and is totally super pissed.

---3:43---> the Toad fights back and ryu pays with some of his own blood this time...

---3:49---> and just as it seems hopless again, the toad comes crashing down atop the young man... as the toad tackles him, Ryu slashes bringing the blade in a circle and Up into the toads heart.

---3:57--->Silence,

---3:58---> no one is watching so why make it dramatic? Preferring his life more than suffacating under the dead stinking toad, Ryu climbs out from beneath it, bathed in putrid, green, slimey blood.

---4:15---> the toads body glows and blinds the room in a flash of red-orange light.

A steady stream of energy pushes Ryu gently back the way he came to the giant oak doors,

---4:32--->As he approaches them they open... upon sighting him, the Hamlet rejoices in the name of the Light Dragon Clan. (NOT the Wu-tang, or cherry clans.) A night's rest and good food in the temporary shelters ouside the city help Ryu to ease of mind. A week later after the wounds have all healed, Ryu finds himself wandering again towards the lands of Windia, with the blessings of the Duke of Camlon on his shoulders and karma totally super awesome. ---End---

THAT is the way it was. (its true)

Very nice. A variety of styles here.

The clicks in the background during the first minute give it a tribal feel, but the booming bass behind it keeps it unified.

Kind of Arabian tones at 2:45, then Russian/European folk feel at 3:00.

Don't like the sound effects mixed in at 3:35 or so- there's just no need..

All in all, great.

HAha!race? you guys are way behind... the WIP I submitted for owa rounding the judges panel corner.. I know because I submitted it about 3 weeks after BOF :) it was finished then, and it is finished now :)

I submitted mines about two weeks ago. Mine should show up in the judging panel soon. I changed the link and have notified DJ Pretzel, haven't gotten feedback, sooo HOPEFULLY I'll at least get to see

*NO* "Ultima Online: Rennasiance - First Day in Minoc"

trenthian, ah yes, he's seemed to become quite popular round here, probably for his work with One Winged Angel (which is very good, might i add).

i'm defiantely liking this, throws you in a loop between genres, though i would say it gears towards orchestral more than others.

i really like the sound effects in here, especially around 3:47 where it really hits the mark.

very awesome, im defiantely looking forward to seeing more from trenthian.

This is pretty tight stuff. I didn't like the amount of sound effects and the fact that they were panned far to the right, but it wasn't too bad. There's some reverb on bass kick in the beginning that I don't like. Even so, the beginning was my favorite with the ethnic beats and sounds. Kewl.

I'm also wondering why this wasn't just kept at a steady 128kbps...its not near the 6mb limit or anything if you do that.

This is pretty tight stuff. I didn't like the amount of sound effects and the fact that they were panned far to the right, but it wasn't too bad. There's some reverb on bass kick in the beginning that I don't like. Even so, the beginning was my favorite with the ethnic beats and sounds. Kewl.

I'm also wondering why this wasn't just kept at a steady 128kbps...its not near the 6mb limit or anything if you do that.

@ 128 it was 5.2 mb on my machine

and I thought the limit was 5 mb ! lol I may update with a higher quality bitrate, *esp around 128-160 vbr or something considering the space I still have :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I liked Trenth's remix of OWA so much I got the rom of this game just to compare it and this mix (not that I wouldn'tve anyway since it's the only BoF game I don't own). It made me love this even more. Ab-so-tootly groovin'. It made the Originals sound a lot better too I think, having heard this version. Very good adherancy to the game's sound and atmosphere while vastly improving on it.

And maybe I'm the only one who feels this way but I actually like the sound effects a lot. The first time it was a bit of a bummer but after the 5th time or so it feels like a nice addition to me. :)

Loved the strings but was a bit dissapointed with the panning when I think about it. Hardly noticable but my only CC.

Great work as usual. Why don't you have mooooore? Need inspiration? Vectormannnn. *sways*

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
As for the music, this was a masterpiece, very good orchestral, but I didn´t just like those sound effects of the fight, aren´t really necessary. Nice usage of the techno synth inthat arabic part, Trenth.

By the way, does EVERYBODY remix that sad melody from bof?

If I did, Im unaware.

I probably wouldnt mind in the future though :)

• 3 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01093 - Breath of Fire "His First Good Deed"