A Realm Reborn: Final Fantasy XIV Online

Update(Jan 13, 2015): Well folks, Final Fantasy XIV 2.0(A Realm Reborn) has been going on strong since its release back around August of 2013 with a sub base of around 2.5 million users. While it's certainly no WoW-Killer(Yet), it just goes to show that there's a place for subscription-based MMOs as long as the quality of the game is above and beyond excellent.

To a lot of people, this has certainly been the case! Up until now, there have been 4 major patch series that have introduced all types of new content from new dungeons, to new 24-Man raids with the Crystal Tower story arc and hardcore raids such as the Binding Coil of Bahamut and new class/job combo of rogue/Ninja! They've introduced two types of PvP: Wolves' Den and Frontlines, with the latter being a tremendous good time. They've also added ancillary stuff such as gardening, FC and personal housing, chocobo dying, hunts, and a HUGE amount of story-focused content such as the Misadventures of Inspector Hildebrand.

Within One week, we will finally reach the conclusion of the 2.0 storyline before a new arc is introduced early this summer with 3.0, with patch 2.5: Before The Fall.

Final-Fantasy-XIV-Patch-2-5-Before-the-Fall-Releasing-on-January-20-Video-469844-2.jpg

2.5 Before The Fall Trailer

2.5 will eventually conclude with a lead in to the game's first Expansion, Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward.

Final_Fantasy_14_Heavensward_68058.jpg

Here's the promotional site

Among many things coming are 3 new jobs: Dark Knight, Astrologian, and Machinist, new primals such as Bismark, and two new beast tribes. More excitingly will be the addition of flying mounts and airships, as well as a new playable Dragonian demi-human race known as the Au'Ra.

All of these things and more are in the pipeline for the years to come, and it doesn't look like it'll be slowing down anytime soon. If anyone's on Hyperion, hit me up! My character is Ariadne Marduk. Here's my Lodestone profile.

If anyone is playing on other servers and wants to keep track of other OCR members playing on their server, just post your character name and server and I'll add 'em to a list here on the front page! Happy gaming, folks.

Edited by Malaki-LEGEND.sys

Myself and a bunch of friends are avid FFXI players, and those of us that know about this thus far are pretty stoked/weirded out by the sudden WTF announcement.

It looks like a high res version of FFXI itself as it even has the same races I believe(or at least races that look like 'em) which could be a good or bad thing. Hopefully they'll take the stuff they learned in FFXI and add in some things from other successful MMOs and make it sweet.

It wasn't mentioned as a PS3 exclusive. There was a little wordplay on Tretton's part; he said it would be playable only on the PS3 when it launches in 2010. It'll probably make its way to 360 and PC eventually, but PS3's going to get the initial release.

It looks pretty cool; I'm interested in seeing more of it.

I noted that too, very clever. Let's hope the 360 version is two days after if I haven't gotten a PS3 by then.

Not that I dont want this game... but really, How do you expect me to even get excited for this when the slew o ff13 games have yet to be released?

This is the problem I have. I want to be really excited, but I'm still rather dumbfounded by it all. At first I thought it was Jack Trenton confusing FFVersusXIII with FFXIV like they goofed Valkyria Chronicles as a PSP release last year.

Well we'll have to wait until SE's press conference tomorrow to see if they give any details about it at all.

Not that I dont want this game... but really, How do you expect me to even get excited for this when the slew o ff13 games have yet to be released?

Because it's a different kind of game? It's not like they're releasing FF7 and FF8 (which are both single-player RPGs) back to back. XIII and XIV are a single-player RPG and an online/MMO game; they don't really compete with each other.

Because it's a different kind of game? It's not like they're releasing FF7 and FF8 (which are both single-player RPGs) back to back. XIII and XIV are a single-player RPG and an online/MMO game; they don't really compete with each other.

Yeah but thats not my problem... I just cant afford the two.

You know, with the rarity in people actually doing ps2 online (forgive my ignorance if I'm wrong. I just don't see anyone that did it.) this should be a much more successful game. PS3 right out of the box has free online play. I don't know if I'll get it, seeing as I've never done an mmo before, but I'll definately keep my eye on it.

Yeah, but you still have to pay the monthly fee, which to a lot of people is like paying for Live Gold. Plus as far as people have told me, the 360 version of FFXI doesn't require xbox live gold, but its still kinda considered a lower tier MMO to most groups. Unforunately I'm on the Odin server, which is packed full to the point that they offer world transfers monthly. I considered doing it, but unforunately I'd have to transfer my wife, and her mother and brother both play too, so its just a big mess.

I've played FFXI for years now, and the most puzzling part of this announcement was the fact that previously SE had started that their next MMO would have nothing to do with FFXI. While this does not directly tie into FFXI, it essentially looks like they are making the same game, in a different world, with the same races, and somewhat obviously, much better graphics.

As a longtime player, this does look pretty cool though, and as long as there is a PC version, I can see myself giving it a shot.

I think it's definitely true that when FFXI launched, not many people had their PS2 connected to the internet and the hard drive needed to play FFXI, versus now with PS3 owners who obviously have a hard drive since the system comes with one and are presumably connected to the internet. This will be a lot easier for people who are interested to just buy and jump into, which could help the game's sales numbers, especially given the FF brand again. That said, don't expect it to be anything like EQ(2), WoW, or any North-American based MMO. FFXI is a bit of a unique, somewhat oldschool black sheep in the MMO market, and I would expect FFXIV to be much the same despite the passage of time between games, I guess time will tell.

I played XI for a while myself, even got one job up to 75/37 though I kinda decided MMORPGs weren't for me and trailed off. So I don't know if I'd get into this.

I don't think it'd hurt to keep it in Vana'Diel though, it's a cool world.

I played XI for a while myself, even got one job up to 75/37 though I kinda decided MMORPGs weren't for me and trailed off. So I don't know if I'd get into this.

I don't think it'd hurt to keep it in Vana'Diel though, it's a cool world.

Just one? :lol: (Pay no attention to me...)

That said the trailer did at least confirm that it won't be Vana'diel, it will be Eorzea, which from the trailer seems to feature FFXII-like airships (that sort of star wars feel), large flying monsters (could that have been a possible summon?) tail-less Galkas (but those were totally Galkas!), and a hill very similar to the same hill in the first CS of FFXI... weird, but very.... Square.

Yea this is coming to PC and 360 as well. Make no mistakes about that. I'm pretty excited about this game, maybe a bit more than 13 o.o

Also about it being weird having 2 FF games announced so soon, think back when FF9 was announced, they also announced 10 and 11 as well.

This really caught my attention today. I played a lot of FFXI back in the day and even recently restarted playing casually. I've been moving away from playing games on my PC though, so to be able to play on PS3 on my couch with a widescreen tv sounds promising :)

I just hope they make PvP more accessible, that was my only complaint with XI.