A Realm Reborn: Final Fantasy XIV Online

I would recommend just getting a mic instead of the headset route in your situation. I'd be the first to agree that headsets usually make more sense but considering your setup and the fact that you've already got a laptop, you might as well just grab a mic, connect it to your laptop and be off to the races. I have a roommate who uses a mic similar to this with mumble and it works like a charm.

Just talked to a friend who suggested a really simple solution. In order to get sound both from the TV and from a gaming headset, all you really need is 2 sets of audio. Basically, I would listen to the game through ear bud headphones, and I would put the USB gaming headset overtop of the ear buds I'm already wearing. This cuts out a whole lot of problems with trying to get 2 sources to play through the same audio.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's been a long while, but there have been a steady slew of alpha test videos and CG trailers released over the past few months, with the latest trailer, A New Beginning, having released today along with the Beta Test Application/Survey page. All previous players who qualified for Legacy status will have access to the Beta starting with Phase 1, while those looking to get into the PS3 Beta test(starting in Phase 3) will have to fill out an application. You can find a .pdf with the current Beta Test roadmap here.

For those who missed the aforementioned videos(including the amazing End of An Era trailer), here they are as follows:

Alpha Test Videos:

Trailers:

Edit - Finally updated the first post. I need to be more responsible about these things.

Edited by Malaki-LEGEND.sys

I've also been following it on a linkshell's website. And after watching "A new beginning" trailer (probably the opening cinematic) I have a question. My knowledge of insignias are a bit lacking but, was that a Garlean Flag on the chocobo at 5:52? And does this mean that the empire is joining the Eorzean alliance in opposition to Bahamut?

That being said, with regards to the audio issues I'm having, I've noticed that when I use headphones from the audio output on my TV, the audio is so low. I have to crank my TV up to max volume in order to get a decent sound. Is it because the audio output doesn't push out a lot of power?

• 4 weeks later...
I don't know why didn't extend Legacy to longtime FFXI players. That was a disappointment.

Because FFXI was never bombing anywhere near as hard as FFXIV was if at all.

Of course I really wish that they'd bring back that discount for subbing to both games so I could go through Audolin at some point. Of course getting people to go along with me is pretty much not happening.

• 2 weeks later...

Yessir, beta is finally upon us! Good luck to those who are already invited or who are waiting for an invite, remember to have fun, and give any and all feedback you may feel is constructive to making the game that much better. Can't wait for my shot at it.

On the official forums side of things, people are losing their shit about people with Legacy status with such mantras as "it sucks! why didn't I get in!? it's not fair!" and "Legacy shouldn't exist!" and other wonderfully banal and ridiculous posts.

Sorry guys. SE was very forthcoming with information about, selection criteria, and relevant dates for the Legacy campaign. Bloody thing lasted a year and a half, and you didn't even need to actually be active in the game to qualify; just pay the subscription for 3 consecutive months, and I'm told they didn't even need to be consecutive!

Internet and video gamer entitlement...

I got legacy because I forgot I was paying for the game.

ahah, i was still around because we had a cool linkshell to play with (even if the game itself had a awful start) but yeah 3 month subscription wasn't a hard task to reach.

if we can we should totally met somewhere during the beta testing.

EDIT: http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/02/21/massivelys-comprehensive-preview-of-final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm/#continued

some video.

Edited by Doulifée
link

I got legacy because I forgot I was paying for the game.

This was more or less what happened to me as well.

I'll come clean, i played this game since launch. I'm not sure how much time i'll have for it but I plan on playing the beta in a few days just to see how the game is.

When the servers come up let's get organized and play together! Airships and Catchicks baby! Airships and Catchicks!

...you'd think other games would have picked up on this demographic by now wouldn't you? :)

Well I'll be updating the first post of the thread with this info, but Square-Enix recently went on a media tour for the purpose of promoting the game before beta starting, and Joystiq's massively.com has quite the smorgesborg of videos and articles detailing many systems and aspects of the game. Several key elements are videos describing what I see as an excellent solution to a gamepad control scheme, as well as comparison vids between PC and PS3 showing new videos. Poor, unoptimized PS3 version...

Anyway, here's the link. I still haven't gone through all of the articles, but have at it!

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/02/21/massivelys-comprehensive-preview-of-final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm/