A Realm Reborn: Final Fantasy XIV Online

Certainly is a massive update. I wonder if content will be released this often and of this amount in the future. So here's my next FF14 tale I would like to share:

We were facing Chimera. Normal party of 2 healers, 2 tanks, and 4 DPS. I was of course a white mage. During the course of the fight, the entire party wiped...... save for me. There I was, a lowly iLevel 62 WHM vs this massive beast of monster. I sprinted away as fast as I could and ran around the arena in a circle while casting all the DoT's that I could while waiting for my swiftcast to come off cooldown. When it finally did, I cast raise on the other healer. Still running around I was doing everything I could to keep the hate on me as the other healer started raising the party one by one. (I think I got another raise after swiftcast was available again). Then, after what seemed like an hour, the entire revived and buffed party charged in a hailstorm of arrows, magic, and swords. We beat that Chimera down into the snow and when it was finally over, I felt like the biggest BadA** on Eorzea. I can't believe how awesome that fight was.

Your turn! What great stories do you have?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This game just didn't do it for me. I thought it was going to be a spiritual successor to FFXI, but it was completely different. Count me in the "quitter" category.

I asked my friends to all get voice chat set up because I was kind of bored, and when that didn't happen, that was it. Some good memories playing with my brother though.

Time for another tale from my experience in the game. I was fighting Iron Giant boss(Or maybe it was Nero) in Praetorium or Castrum (don't remember which one) and this was just a duty roulette so everyone was rushing it. Even though I skipped the cutscene my PS3 just loaded so slow that the party was able to pull the boss and lock me out before I could get there in time. And me as the healer too! from outside the battle I kept taunting them like "Gee it sure looks like you could use a /medica II right about now." and "I'll bet that a /raise would feel really good wouldn't it?" Poetic justice.

Your turn. Anyone else with stories to tell?

• 2 months later...

Wow. I am blown away at this new trailer for patch 2.5 The fact that they made a dungeon out of the remains of Agrius with Midgardsormr as the boss is just unbelievable. Plus you get new hard mode dungeons and THE GOLD SAUCER!!!! With actual chocobo racing! Not just bet on the winner, you actually run the race! There is triple triad, new manderville quest, new dungeons (The world of darkness raid looks really intriguing with the cloud of darkness being the final boss.) Even though I quit the game almost a year ago, this still has my interest.

Edited by Thin Crust

Also I am finishing my Zodiac tonight. Just 800 Soldery, and I am done!

What's hilarious about my situation is that I had TOTALLY forgotten that the Party Finder existed. For the past month or so I could have created my own Nexus Light parties and gotten it within a week or two! :o Started one last night and got from tier 7 to tier 8 within and hour and a half of Garuda and Turn 4 farming.

And I think I must have been begging for Triple Triad since even before they opened up the forums during 1.0's run! Finally have something to do while waiting for queues with my in-game buds. And freaking Gold Saucer! I predict a lot of FC "date nights" happening.

What's hilarious about my situation is that I had TOTALLY forgotten that the Party Finder existed. For the past month or so I could have created my own Nexus Light parties and gotten it within a week or two! :o Started one last night and got from tier 7 to tier 8 within and hour and a half of Garuda and Turn 4 farming.

And I think I must have been begging for Triple Triad since even before they opened up the forums during 1.0's run! Finally have something to do while waiting for queues with my in-game buds. And freaking Gold Saucer! I predict a lot of FC "date nights" happening.

Date night? You have to watch this if you know what's good for you. Prepare for laughs.

Well folks, the patch has been released! I hope everyone is having fun while I'm stuck at work for the next 5 or so hours! One thing I don't remember if I mentioned in the revised opening post is that they added a new PvP game type to Frontlines called Slaughter. This new type is another i80 gear-synced match that takes place on the same map, the Carteneau Borderlands, however as the name suggests, this game is a team death match as opposed to territories, complete with killing sprees and bonuses therein. I've been huge into PvP in the game and I can't wait to take a stab at this one. Anyone already tried it have any impressions?

Additionally, one of my favorite things of the patch strangely enough is that I can now exchange the PILES of Syrcus Tower gear for GC Seals, which should make the latest step in our relic weapons(Zodiac) much, MUCH easier(I just got Nexus this Sunday after a PvP win no less)! Sasuke Blades, here I come!

And lol to the FFVII abridged, TC. :-P

• 1 month later...

I was actually looking forward to it all, especially after the announcement of Dark Knight being a class. And then I read they are going to be tanks.. Seriously? A class that has had itself based on sacrificing health for damage and a class stepping to the darkness for "more power" is going to be a tank? I guess FFXIV won't be what cures my lack of an MMO now. Everything the patch and expansion looks to add otherwise is rather nice.

I was actually looking forward to it all, especially after the announcement of Dark Knight being a class. And then I read they are going to be tanks.. Seriously? A class that has had itself based on sacrificing health for damage and a class stepping to the darkness for "more power" is going to be a tank? I guess FFXIV won't be what cures my lack of an MMO now. Everything the patch and expansion looks to add otherwise is rather nice.

Thing is, they already have enough DPS classes. There are only 2 tanks. Adding in this class is going to get more people to play them as mains.

Or at least a year ago it was.

Thing is, they already have enough DPS classes. There are only 2 tanks. Adding in this class is going to get more people to play them as mains.

Or at least a year ago it was.

There were also better choices for a tank that didn't just rip apart a defined class like the Dark Knight. FF3 the Dark Knight gave up health to do AoE damage. In FFIV, Cecil turned his back on the darkness to become a Paladin.. TO DEFEND which is something a Dark Knight wasn't about. Gaffgarion in FFT was not a tank. Dark Knight in FFXI was not a real tank. Final Fantasy Explorers the Dark Knight shows no real tanking ability. Dark Knight in Bravely Default (Seeing as it is a spiritual successor to an FF game)is raw offense.

How about a Geomancer? Earth magic for defensive skills, fire skills for threat generation and damage, water for a supportive effect. They could have even brought Blue Mage back with the concept of their tanking involving monster skills for offense and defensive balance.

Granted I have nothing against those who like the idea of them tanking. Fine, enjoy the game. But for me, the class was an iconic "Sacrifice everything for power" and it was something they ruined. FFXIV is a good game, they did so much right.. and are continuing to do so. But this to me is not a Dark Knight. The other classes just do not stick with me... And finding that class that "fits" me like a Dark Knight hasn't happened. I'll just move on.

I'm very excited for Heavensward - I'm a career dragoon, so the machinist looks pretty good but it won't be too high on my radar. Far as my zodiac is concerned, just need to get 29 more Alexandrite before I get to the light farming part. Personally I am really not looking forward to the daily prayers to RNJesus to get the dungeon drops.