A Realm Reborn: Final Fantasy XIV Online

My only fond memory of goobbues is killing them for tree cuttings, and that was torture (8.3% drop rate). I hate goobbues, no sale!

I have no fond memories of goobbues. They were always just that one monster type in every zone that was extremely likely to kill you while trying to level up. Or while on the way to a skillup party in the Booyah Tree.

Back in the day, if I needed gil, it would be Beast Blood farming the Gaylas in Zi'Tah.

I have no fond memories of goobbues. They were always just that one monster type in every zone that was extremely likely to kill you while trying to level up. Or while on the way to a skillup party in the Booyah Tree.

Back in the day, if I needed gil, it would be Beast Blood farming the Gaylas in Zi'Tah.

King Ranperre's Tomb was my personal camping ground. Tree Cuttings were a pain to farm, especially since they were so easily accessible and random travelers would kill the spawns before I could reach them.

I never hung out much in Zi' Tah. I always felt too endangered there, but that area had the best background music in the entire game.

Nerd level is 95% in this thread BTW.

I never hung out much in Zi' Tah. I always felt too endangered there, but that area had the best background music in the entire game.

The music was one of the main reasons I used it as my farming spot. Well, that and the fact that Beast Blood was one of the more profitable quick ways to make gil while the level cap was still 75.

Only real downside was having to contest with so many other farmers and the bots. Those bots were awful - we actually ganged up there once and covered the whole zone to make sure they never managed to get a single kill! Kind of fun.

Only real downside was having to contest with so many other farmers and the bots. Those bots were awful - we actually ganged up there once and covered the whole zone to make sure they never managed to get a single kill! Kind of fun.

I hated those guys!

Back when you could kill people with trains by warping out (I was BLM), I would player kill suspected gilsellers.

I say suspected because I think some of them were just normal players. Oops? >.>

I've been keeping this game locked on my radar, being a veteran of FFXI. For those of you playing, how are things now? Are the servers lively? Optimistic?

I'm studying their PDF about 2.0, but I'm not sure what to think of it. New graphics engine.. graphics were a problem? And then there's this:

"The current maps in FFXIV are not only massive, but allow for seamless passage across wide expanses of the realm. In order to maintain this seamlessness, however, we were forced to heavily reuse assets, resulting in static, repetitive areas."

Obviously, I love the idea of making the maps dynamic akin to FFXI's, but his tone just... it pisses me off. You were forced to reuse assets? To maintain seamlessness? Bullshit. You reused them because you wanted to roll the game out too damn early. That they can continue to be so unapologetic about everything and continue to create excuses just blows my mind.

EDIT: I read further and saw that they are "abandoning seamlessness" in exchange for dynamic areas. I just don't understand why things can't be seamless and dynamic.. Skyrim did it ffs.

I really want to get into this game since I loved FFXI so much, but the whole thing seems so shaky.

EDIT 2: Holy dang, this isn't going to be ready until 2013? This has got to be the most elaborate overhaul in history. I guess I have plenty of time to decide O_O

And that's all dependent on the money for said overhaul to still be available with the financial failings of Square-Enix as of late I hate to say I don't see this getting done before the project is abandoned all to gather as it is causing them way to much money to keep it running and once subscriptions start except for a very few hardcore fans they are going to lose there player base all-together I was one of them but I can't pay for a game that lacks content its just not feasible for me. But at this point who knows and I hope they do somehow pull it off as I love Final Fantasy as a franchise and like you XI was great.

I think 2.0 can revive the game, if not in the west at least in japan. I kinda have faith, a lot of the changes that have been introduced have made the game a lot better than it was back on release. I'm mostly playing to see and do pre-2.0 stuff since once 2.0 hits you can't do them anymore.

The real problem is that FFXIV already has a stigma now. Regardless of how much better the game becomes, the first thought people will have is of "that terrible game" due to its state when it first launched. 2.0 might revive it to an extent, but it'll probably never really take of like it could have done.

they probably count on the PS3 launch to make a new start. So far the game is horribly limited by the game engine. Basic MMo stuff is not possible like Linkshell admin power, more than 40 players displayable etc.

The real problem is that FFXIV already has a stigma now. Regardless of how much better the game becomes, the first thought people will have is of "that terrible game" due to its state when it first launched. 2.0 might revive it to an extent, but it'll probably never really take of like it could have done.

People heeding stigma are people we don't need in the game anyway. If a game is good, it's good. If it's not it's not. It's just a completely non-nonsensical way to think, to write off a game because it was bad before a massive overhaul.

I give consumers a little more benefit of the doubt, personally. If it truly makes itself as good as FFXI was or better, word will get out and it'll take off.

Crap... Dragoon... I might get sucked back into playing this again. But only so long as Dragoon isn't as neglected as it was in FFXI.

All in all, the changes are sounding like they're doing what everyone had actually hoped for in the first place - FFXI with better graphics and some important system changes.

I don't really know what the point of adding back the old jobs is though - I thought the new jobs in XIV had some pretty interesting ideas. It was one of the changes from FFXI I thought was pretty good.

Crap... Dragoon... I might get sucked back into playing this again. But only so long as Dragoon isn't as neglected as it was in FFXI.

All in all, the changes are sounding like they're doing what everyone had actually hoped for in the first place - FFXI with better graphics and some important system changes.

I don't really know what the point of adding back the old jobs is though - I thought the new jobs in XIV had some pretty interesting ideas. It was one of the changes from FFXI I thought was pretty good.

You and everyone who doesn't post on the official forums. The people with the most voice are all FFXIophiles instead of people who'd actually like to see new ideas be iterated on.

At any rate, patch 1.21 looks mighty fine, and hopefully it'll add the cohesion to make everything feel connected and important(and fun). I'm fine with the late February date though. It gives me plenty of time for FFXIII-2, Resident Evil Revelations and school. Plus it's right around my birthday. :-P

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a copy through Amazon today because it was only $10. Won't be activating a membership for a few more months, but looking forward to seeing you guys online when I do.

Unless SE gives up on it, which would be the most disappointing thing in my life.

EDIT: OK, I'm looking at this Crysta system and trying to figure it out. It says for a 180 day subscription for one character, it's 300 Crysta. The 500 Crysta pack is only $5, so a yearly membership only costs $10? Bwuh???

Edited by Modus

EDIT: OK, I'm looking at this Crysta system and trying to figure it out. It says for a 180 day subscription for one character, it's 300 Crysta. The 500 Crysta pack is only $5, so a yearly membership only costs $10? Bwuh???

That sounds like a pretty major typo - from what I know, it's 1,000 Crysta per month for a sub (3,000 for 180 days).

If it's not a typo then :o

Crysta actually sucks outside the US anyway... 100 Crysta = $1/£1/€1

Come on Squenix, those amounts don't match! >:

I can't say I appreciate where this whole server merge business is going. FFXI was all about getting people from all over the place playing and interacting together, but now it seems like everyone would rather segregate themselves into little packets. True, servers will be going back to normal once 2.0 hits, but who's to say we won't just see the same thing happen?

And people gave Japanese players shit with the "JP onry" nonsense.

Reading through the forums is also a serious exercise in "internet entitlement". For all the clout these people have as a "great community", I can't help but think that it's made up of socially awkward 16-year-olds that are still waiting/hoping for puberty to finally hit.

Now that I think about it, maybe self-segregation ain't that bad in this instance.

Reading through the forums is also a serious exercise in "internet entitlement". For all the clout these people have as a "great community", I can't help but think that it's made up of socially awkward 16-year-olds that are still waiting/hoping for puberty to finally hit.

... really? I honestly don't want to play this game if that's true. In FFXI, I was used to playing with lots of married couples, home owners, people starting their careers, etc. I'll take a look myself, but I doubt these bad eggs represent the community as a whole. Or I really hope not.

@Moomba: I missed a window marked as "basic service", which costs 699 Crysta on top of the character charge.

Good to see Square learned absolutely nothing from their last convoluted account management system, PlayOnline.

is the only reason I liked PlayOnline.

... really? I honestly don't want to play this game if that's true. In FFXI, I was used to playing with lots of married couples, home owners, people starting their careers, etc. I'll take a look myself, but I doubt these bad eggs represent the community as a whole. Or I really hope not.

@Moomba: I missed a window marked as "basic service", which costs 699 Crysta on top of the character charge.

Good to see Square learned absolutely nothing from their last convoluted account management system, PlayOnline.

Ah that makes sense, I forgot Squenix like to charge per character as well as the service.

It wouldn't surprise me if the forum only consisted of the most vocal and whiny of the community so as you said, it probably doesn't represent the community as a whole. During my time playing early in its lifetime I met a few cool people, though no-where near as many as I did in FFXI. They definitely exist though.

PlayOnline had awesome music <3

I see your space track, and raise you dolphin

though I dug them both.