A Realm Reborn: Final Fantasy XIV Online

So they've mentioned that they've come up with new ways for people to play, develop their character, as well as things they've learned from other MMOs and FFXI. My LS buddies and I came up with the following:

It might be possible if they add some kind of public quest system like Warhammer in that people could complete area specific quests with other people for certain rewards. a distinction with this would be that the players would have to actively join an alliance with other players in order for all of them to collect said rewards.

Storyline was a big focus in FFXI, although it was a pain to get through due to all the grinding of levels required to be able to survive. Being they're coming up with new ways to develop your character, it's possible that they'll put a greater emphasis on story, while having your characters level upon completion of important storyline quests.

In terms of actual character development, it's possible that there could be some kind of point allocation system akin to FFXII in which you could basically custom tailor your class to be whatever the hell you'd want it to be or something.

This is all just speculation, but hey it's always fun to dream. :-P

I wonder what will happen to these online FF entries once they finally decide to take down the servers. It would be rather odd to have one of the numbered Final Fantasy entries just vanish completely.

Deep inside, I nurse the hope that they will release a single-player modification of it at the end of the game's life. Or a kit for creating private servers. Or something.

Pie in the sky. I know. :|

If you're talking about FFXI, they've said that they're going to keep the servers going for as long as there are players. If the population starts to dwindle they'll probably merge servers so that each one still feels populated. Even if it goes as far as getting compressed down to just 1 remaining server I bet they'll keep it going for a looong time. I mean, just look at Everquest :o

I know this isn't exactly a sequel to FFXI but I hope to god there is something similar to a Samurai class in the game. I hope they keep a lot of the job classes actually. Now that I'm really thinking about it, there's not too many viable known job classes left to do unless they are abandoning past FF cliche jobs.

Hmm... can't wait for this to come out, been waiting for a sequel to FFXI for a long, long time.

Why let them release it? Private FFXI servers have been around for forever... haven't they? I kind of assumed every MMO out there has private server versions of it running.

I think PlayOnline makes FFXI private servers a little trickier to do. Maybe there are some out there, but I haven't seen any. I'd be all over it if there are.

I know this isn't exactly a sequel to FFXI but I hope to god there is something similar to a Samurai class in the game. I hope they keep a lot of the job classes actually. Now that I'm really thinking about it, there's not too many viable known job classes left to do unless they are abandoning past FF cliche jobs.

I have to say that I'd be surprised if they didn't include every random FF job ever, or at least most of them. With the exception of a handful (FFVII, FFVIII, and FFXII are the only ones I can think of off hand), every Final Fantasy has had a job system of some stripe or another. It's a pretty iconic Final Fantasy thing. I can't imagine them doing a FF MMO without using an extensive job system.

What platforms is Final Fantasy XIV coming to?

Currently the game is confirmed for PlayStation 3 and Windows PC. An Xbox 360 version isn't official, but Square Enix is considering the possibility that it could.

What do we know about the setting and the story?

It takes place on an all-new Final Fantasy world known as "Eorzea." Though it does share some monsters and races from Final Fantasy XI, they're not direct representations and have been altered in multiple ways that make them unique to Eorzea. The similarities in races will allow experienced Final Fantasy XI players to create a new Final Fantasy XIV character that looks somewhat comparable.

Does it have a direct connection to Final Fantasy XI?

In some ways, yes it does. Not only does it share the same development team as the FF11, but the game will also allow players to create a character that is similar to their current Final Fantasy XI. Square Enix has also revealed to IGN that it is currently finding a solution that will let you transfer your character's names from Final Fantasy XI to Final Fantasy XIV.

What is the combat system like?

The development team won't say, but it did confirm to us that... Additionally, the heavy team-play aspect of FF11 has been deemphasized, and now exploration and battle is said to be more balanced between solo and team play.

How does the leveling system work?

Square Enix is cagey about how characters advance, but it has confirmed with IGN that growth is not based on experience and that it will work on a different system entirely.

What about jobs?

Jobs will return in Final Fantasy XIV, but they will be much different than the job system present in Final Fantasy XI.

How important are the weapons?

Weapons are very important and have a heavy influence on your character and how they succeed in the game world. Square Enix says to look closely at the official Final Fantasy XIV logo for hints and hidden meanings about how the game will work.

What hidden meanings?

Square Enix told us that when it approached Amano to do the logo art for Final Fantasy XIV, that weapons were very important and to think of the concept of a "wheel." Specifically, a wheel of adventurers that has their weapon in front of them and an exposed backside -- which leaves each adventurer to rely heavily on their comrades and their friends. Let the speculation begin.

Anything else about the weapons?

The team let slip to us that choosing weapons for specific tasks one day versus another could affect how your character develops.

When is it coming out and when is the beta?

The game will come out in 2010, and after Final Fantasy XIII which is scheduled for spring of the same year. The Final Fantasy XIV beta plans are still being finalized, but that the plan is to have a longer beta period than that of Final Fantasy XI (which had a beta of about 3-4 months).

How much of the first trailer is in-game versus pre-rendered?

The debut trailer is actually a mixture of real-time in-game footage and pre-rendered wizardry. The combat scene in particular was created using the in-game engine.

What languages will the game available in?

The same as Final Fantasy XI: Japanese, English, French and German. Final Fantasy XIV will also be released simultaneously in all regions that use those languages.

Will the PlayOnline service be used for Final Fantasy XIV?

No. Square Enix told us that the reason it is ditching the PlayOnline system is because it was originally meant as an all-in-one solution to house multiple content types. But as PlayOnline has offered less content over the years, the need for the next online Final Fantasy to us PO is moot. Whatever new service (if any) is used, PC and PlayStation 3 users will still be able to play with each other on the same servers, and Square Enix also confirmed with IGN that you can sign in with a universal ID on either system to pick up where you left off if you own both.

Who's Working on the Game?

It is produced by Hiromichi Tanaka (Final Fantasy I, II, III, and IX) and directed by Nobuaki Komoto (Final Fantasy IX, XI), with art direction by Akihiko Yoshida (Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy XII) and a musical score from Nobuo Uematsu (Most Final Fantasies ever). Yoshitaka Amano has designed the logo and is pulling additional art duties as well.

Uematsu only did a few tracks in Final Fantasy XI, how much is he doing for XIV?

Square Enix revealed to IGN that Uematsu will be doing all the music for Final Fantasy XIV and that it will be composed in a range of different styles and genres.

What modern day MMOs have influenced the design and direction of Final Fantasy XIV?

In addition to the team's original work on Final Fantasy XI, World of Warcraft, Age of Conan and Warhammer Online have been three recent games that have had some pull, but the Final Fantasy XI community's feedback has been the most important factor in its design.

Are Chocobos back?

Yes, they will return. But Square Enix has told IGN that it is looking at using them in a completely different way than they were used in Final Fantasy XI (where they were used as riding steeds).

Edited by ffussr

i really hope they roll with an ffxii-style battle system, which was so clearly influenced by other mmos.

the 'whos working on the games' is interesting. you've got a producer who worked on the original games (not a fan, personally) and 9, which i really disliked, the director from ix, the art head from the least attractive/innovative of modern ff games, and then music jesus man himself. it could turn out awesome, or cookie-cutter. we'll see.

It's interesting, they seem to have all the same character races except the Taru. Hume, Galka, Elvaan and even the Mithra make an appearance in the teaser trailer, but not the Taru. If they are keeping the character design this close to 11, I really hope they have those blasted awesome Taru's!

Actually, if you look at the logo:

http://ff14.awardspace.com/images/articles/8/FINAL%20FANTASY%20XIV_Logo.jpg

you can tell that right above the Hume with the big sword, looking straight at the viewer, there appear to be a couple of Tarus. Amano wouldn't trick us, would he?

the 'whos working on the games' is interesting. you've got a producer who worked on the original games (not a fan, personally) and 9, which i really disliked, the director from ix, the art head from the least attractive/innovative of modern ff games, and then music jesus man himself.

While I think Akihiko Yoshida did a good job with those two games, he did use a lot of brown.

Thank god they are getting rid of playonline. I spent 7 days this month trying to get my wifes account back up, cause their fuckign registration servers were a mess. I finally sent them an angry email on the 5th day saying that if they didn't fix it I'd just cancel both, and magically on the 7th day it worked. But seriously, this seems to happen ever other month to me.

Actually, if you look at the logo:

http://ff14.awardspace.com/images/articles/8/FINAL%20FANTASY%20XIV_Logo.jpg

you can tell that right above the Hume with the big sword, looking straight at the viewer, there appear to be a couple of Tarus. Amano wouldn't trick us, would he?

Ah, very good spot my friend! With any luck, there will be Tweek the Taru running around Eorzea representin' the Vana'diel posse.

If anyone finds any information on how to get into this beta, let me know. GOD, I want to beta test this so bad.

Same here. I've registered on their website, for what might be a newsletter (I think it was a newsletter, but not 100% certain), and created a Square-Enix online account as well. I hope one of the two will grant me a beta invite when the time comes.

Also, I've begun following this site closely. I'm way too excited about this.