OCR01114 - *YES* Dance Dance Revolution 4th Mix '4F73R M3' *FT*

GrayLightning

DJP said I should remind him to post this here, but since he's resting on his way to recovery I thought it would be ok to go ahead and post this?

SGX: "This is a remix of B4U be Naoki from DDR. MC did me a favor and busted out the little (awesome) piano intro, and the rest is my doing. I modified the original lyrics a bit because the original song is at an almost twice as fast tempo, so some lines did not have enough syllables to keep the flow going. This mix started as an entry for a BEERmix competition (the thought of me rapping was an extremely hilarious/horrible idea to me) , but ended up having way too much potential for a real mix, so I decided to actually put some effort into this. I'm glad I did. It was a fun challenge, both never have had worked with vocals before and never even thought about rapping. My voice sucks too. You can find this song playable at the online DDR sim, FFR (www.flashflashrevolution.com) along with a bunch of my other originals. Enjoy!"

DJP, can you change my url to www.supergreenx.com

I've loved this song since the moment I heard it. At first, some of the changes in the lyrics bugged me a little, but I've come to appreciate them, as the original lyrics seem much more aimed at an upbeat song, while these are more laid back, suiting for the style. The synths in this are BEAUTIFUL. They take the melody of the original and change it from a hyper rave song into a floaty downtempo break tune. This is definitely the best DDR remix I've heard come from anyone in the OCR community. The piano in the beginning is also fantastically played. Mastering and mixing is borderline pro. This one's a winnar.

YES

Hmm, can someone remind me what our stance on DDR mixes is again? Well I'm gonna judge this anyway until reprimanded.

The piano intro is great, and leads into the drum beat excellently. I remember hearing the song a while back in the WIP forum and thinking, I'm gonna give this a yes.

The rapping voice is a bit dodgy, but the overdrive/distortion effect was very well applied to roughen up the vocal. Not much more I can say, other than that this is very good indeed.

YES

Hmm, can someone remind me what our stance on DDR mixes is again? Well I'm gonna judge this anyway until reprimanded.

This song was originally made by Naoki Maeda, one of Konami's in-house producers, so it's fair game. Fear not, for if a song from DDR comes up on the panel that has copyright issues, I will be sure to point it out.

gotta love that piano intro and that percussion. tight! lyrics are a bit different, that's good.

my problem with this is it doesn't take many liberties from the original, it follows the same chord progression, same structure, same melodies (but on different instruments), and it even has the same minor 2nd modulation on the last part.

the terrible emceeing doesn't help and that vocal effect gets rather tiring by the end. i think this merits a resubmit.

no

The shameless shoutouts and stupid lyrics are silly and fun; this started off as a BEERmix, afterall. I agree that the problem with the vocals is that the effects applied are stagnant throughout the mix and become tiresome. This is also pretty short for following a similar structure to the original. Neither melody or progression have been altered much.

Tough call.

The beats are good, the piano and ornamentation work, and it's no mean feat to rearrange a song professionally produced without limitations. But I'm voting NO because I don't want to see a trend towards earcandy remakes (industry grade remixes) begin on OCR.

I don't think this is SGX's most technically savy mix by any means. The rap work as others have noted is well, he sounds like a white boy. :lol: But this is really the case of the sum being greater than the individual parts. Despite some of the issues cited, it's one of the most enjoyable ones I've heard.

MC's considerable piano skills blend very nicely with the mix, even without the "buzz piano." Fun mix and possibly my personal favorite of SGX's. Hard to deny this, so I give it a yes.

YES