Metroid Prime ReMix- The Hope of The Galaxy

Drums under the choir sound too close/dry. Same with tambourine. Drum pattern with the snare coming in a step too early would work better if the tambourine didn't also deviate from the simple 4/4 rhythm.

Breaks at 1:45 and the one at 2:11 come too unexpectedly and are too abrupt. A crash/splash/ride/gong, a little fill, some punctuation, making the releases longer, doing it with a filter sweep... there are lots of ways to solve the problem and keep the break. Solve it any way you want, but it needs solving.

Beyond that, I'm not hearing anything that bothers me, but I'm using speakers, not headphones. I'd say this is pretty close. Great work, kid. Looking forward to hearing the stuff you'll do in a few years. Don't take that the wrong way. ;)

Drums under the choir sound too close/dry. Same with tambourine. Drum pattern with the snare coming in a step too early would work better if the tambourine didn't also deviate from the simple 4/4 rhythm.

Breaks at 1:45 and the one at 2:11 come too unexpectedly and are too abrupt. A crash/splash/ride/gong, a little fill, some punctuation, making the releases longer, doing it with a filter sweep... there are lots of ways to solve the problem and keep the break. Solve it any way you want, but it needs solving.

Beyond that, I'm not hearing anything that bothers me, but I'm using speakers, not headphones. I'd say this is pretty close. Great work, kid. Looking forward to hearing the stuff you'll do in a few years. Don't take that the wrong way. ;)

0_0'

Just think I'll be writin' stuff like Torvus Clockwork and Just a Little More in 5-6 years time. By that time I won't need the WIP board anymore, I think I'll just develop an ear for all this "jarring frequencies" stuff that you guys can magically detect. :(

As far as the rhythm for the drum, I'm not really gonna change it. HOWEVER!!!

I WILL change the snare's SOUND (EQ/Replacement sound). Also I might introduce some new stuff later with hi hats if enough people whine for it.

My rhythm has a bit of a stop start feel to it, I'll put some stuff in to keep it flowing.

As for the transitions, I'm trying figure out the gong sound Shariq used in Torvus Clockwork.

EDIT: 1:45 That break of silence after the piano climbs down is intentional and I have no intention of changing it.

Right now I'm trying to figure out which frequency to kill on my snare...

Remember that tongue in cheek detector?

It's a phonetic variant of 'special'. Try pronouncing it. Maybe picture a Troll Doctor from Warcraft saying it.

;)

???

... Again:

???

I just noticed this WIP thread has the most posts, besides James The Composer's FFVII and Essence of Lime. Maybe people aren't used to seeing Metroid Prime Remixes... (BECAUSE WE NEED MORE OF EM! GET TO WORK PEOPLE, THERE'S A WHOLE UNTOUCHED SOUNDTRACK THERE)

I just noticed this WIP thread has the most posts, besides James The Composer's FFVII and Essence of Lime.

Probably because it's always up at the top, there. Essence of Lime is a near-full blown project, so it's bound to get more attention because it's a combination of many mixes, and James' post was... special.

Don't worry, it doesn't mean your post isn't special, too :tomatoface:.

Probably because it's always up at the top, there. Essence of Lime is a near-full blown project, so it's bound to get more attention because it's a combination of many mixes, and James' post was... special.

Don't worry, it doesn't mean your post isn't special, too :tomatoface:.

Yeh I know it's always up top because you guys always bump it with your drum crits and your EQ issues...

That's what I used to say. I can't EQ either, doesn't stop me from doing it to fix my tracks. It benefits to have that mindset - just be sure to save different versions so you have something to go back too.

I don't know what to fix though.

You say "Fix the snare" I ask "how?" You say cut out something I don't know what to cut out. :/

That's the whole point - mess around with it and see what it does. Online forum help only goes so far because words and terms are vague at best. There's only so much we can do without being in your room, on your computer, to look at what you're doing.

In this case, its the SNAP that the snare makes. Seperate your snare, give it its own channel and its own instrument, put a Parametric EQ on it and start a little cascade from the lowest end of the EQ to the highest (in this case, a diagonal line going down from left to right) and see if that fixes it.

Also consider the use of a small tambourine instead of a snare. It could work.

Just messing around with it is one of the best ways you're going to learn so long as you write down and remember what you're doing.

That's the whole point - mess around with it and see what it does. Online forum help only goes so far because words and terms are vague at best. There's only so much we can do without being in your room, on your computer, to look at what you're doing.

In this case, its the SNAP that the snare makes. Seperate your snare, give it its own channel and its own instrument, put a Parametric EQ on it and start a little cascade from the lowest end of the EQ to the highest (in this case, a diagonal line going down from left to right) and see if that fixes it.

Also consider the use of a small tambourine instead of a snare. It could work.

Just messing around with it is one of the best ways you're going to learn so long as you write down and remember what you're doing.

I think I might use more Eastern drums. :/

EDIT: HOT OFF THE PRESS!!!

..er, FRESH OUT OF THE OVEN!!!

... whatever.

Added some harmony for the Prime 2 Theme (in the second half of it)

NOTE: I AM STILL WORKING ON TRANSITIONS... BEAR WITH ME.

As for my snare, I gave it some thought. As much as it pains me to say this I'm gonna keep it the way it is for the final version (You can flame all ya want on how I'm ignoring good advice but remember it's my remix not yours. :] ). When the final version is done and submitted and the judges have a problem with the snare, then I'll give it a go.

The Galaxy is Saved by The Hope, The Hunter is The Hope

Too long? How about:

The Hope of The Galaxy

I think that's a suitable name.

Skip 2:10 for a gong strike, kinda eliminates some of the transition into Prime1 problem (if not the whole problem)

img.php?fid=262

I already said previously: I can't EQ. I can't hear this magical stuff you find a problem with.

Then don't ask for our help if you're going to be that way. Sheesh...no wonder people got frustrated with me when I started :< (some of whom still are haha)

And of course you can hear the issues. What you need to do is take a few days off from the track, listen to a few other mixes, such as your bro's, then compare the EQ with your own. You'll definitely find those said errors; at least a few of them. So freshen those ears and listen.

Man I wish I went by this advice like 2 years ago. FML.

BTW, listening to your remix now...let's see what we have here =D

I personally have no issues with the drum samples, but they do get somewhat blocked out by the other instruments. It may be the reverb causing some of the other issues; try making it less wet and reduce the % and room size a tad. hmm and 2:25 the drums are a bit awkward there; ...sorry I didn't notice this stuff earlier and made an ass of myself haha...*DS rolls his eyes*.

Anyhow =P I actually don't mind the EQ levels as a whole, but I think they could use some tightening up. A less stressful fix could be reducing all the volumes, then boost the master track via Multiband Compressor.

Then don't ask for our help if you're going to be that way. Sheesh...no wonder people got frustrated with me when I started :< (some of whom still are haha)

And of course you can hear the issues. What you need to do is take a few days off from the track, listen to a few other mixes, such as your bro's, then compare the EQ with your own. You'll definitely find those said errors; at least a few of them. So freshen those ears and listen.

Man I wish I went by this advice like 2 years ago. FML.

BTW, listening to your remix now...let's see what we have here =D

I personally have no issues with the drum samples, but they do get somewhat blocked out by the other instruments. It may be the reverb causing some of the other issues; try making it less wet and reduce the % and room size a tad. hmm and 2:25 the drums are a bit awkward there; ...sorry I didn't notice this stuff earlier and made an ass of myself haha...*DS rolls his eyes*.

Anyhow =P I actually don't mind the EQ levels as a whole, but I think they could use some tightening up. A less stressful fix could be reducing all the volumes, then boost the master track via Multiband Compressor.

Alright, enough of your reminiscing. :<

First of all, don't curse on my WIP thread. I don't appreciate cursing. AT ALL.

Alrighty then:

"Then don't ask for our help if you're going to be that way."

Eeeeexcuse me? Since when did I say "Well I can't EQ so this remix is good to go!"

Never. Never ever. Never ever forever never for never ever.

I do agree my mix velocities tend to become a bit... overpowering. If not a lot. I need to lower some stuff. Or just heighten the drums. :P

Anyways, I may be having a sort of problem.

Is my melody mixed up? Are the first and second halves switched? Because in Shariq's Torvus Clockwork remix, he did it completely reverse of what my Prime 2 melody is. (I'm talking about the C E F as oppose to High-C D A)

sigh...I think I'll just not post on your threads anymore. Prob do all of us a favor :nicework:

Anyways, good luck there Neblix.

I don't understand why you're kicking yourself out.

You get no sympathy from me. I'm mean to myself enough. :tomatoface:

Anyways, my next version if up with some minor velocity tweaks, I also increased how long the synth stuff holds out on the end for an interesting ending.

img.php?fid=264

Nice name. I think this mix is cleaner than it was before. I still thing the drums are not too fitting, but let me be more specific - the snare is just too overpowering. The sample just stands too far out. Experiment with some rim shots or something instead - something that is lighter and not as dominating.

The mix is pretty balanced, but it could use some fattening up, as it sounds a bit thin the way it's mastered. Generally, that means you could use a little boost in the mids - give it a shot.

Try some of that out - and may the Neblixsa genre continue to grow...

Nice name. I think this mix is cleaner than it was before. I still thing the drums are not too fitting, but let me be more specific - the snare is just too overpowering. The sample just stands too far out. Experiment with some rim shots or something instead - something that is lighter and not as dominating.

The mix is pretty balanced, but it could use some fattening up, as it sounds a bit thin the way it's mastered. Generally, that means you could use a little boost in the mids - give it a shot.

Try some of that out - and may the Neblixsa genre continue to grow...

Yeah I was going for the big drum/rim shot stuff Shariq uses but I don't wanna sound like I'm copying him. He's already done Prime remixes and some of my ideas borrow heavily from his already.

I don't wanna become the 2nd Darkesword, if ya don't mind. (If Shariq took any offense to that then let me restate that: I don't wanna become a 2nd ANYONE.)

I don't wanna become the 2nd Darkesword, if ya don't mind. (If Shariq took any offense to that then let me restate that: I don't wanna become a 2nd ANYONE.)
Hey, that's the attitude you need to hold - you must not hold anyone in higher regards than yourself if you want to get ahead.

No one should take offense in that.

Don't write just to sound different, though - write to make good music, and if someone says your music sounds like someone else's, forget about it if it works well.

Hey, that's the attitude you need to hold - you must not hold anyone in higher regards than yourself if you want to get ahead.

No one should take offense in that.

Don't write just to sound different, though - write to make good music, and if someone says your music sounds like someone else's, forget about it if it works well.

Yup... :/ Any other problems with the remix besides the drum soundfont I used?