OCRA-0014 - Final Fantasy IV: Echoes of Betrayal, Light of Redemption

This has been a real pleasure to work on. I think in a sense, we've all become a bit like family... *cricket, cricket*... uh, good friends... *cricket, cricket*... solid acquantences because of this experience. :P Seriously though, I've had a lot of fun and I've really appreciated the comradarie that I experienced in the process. Good job everyone! This thing seriously rocks!

Thought you guys might like to see this if you haven't already: http://kotaku.com/5318013/final-fantasy-iv-gets-overclocked

The Kotaku community once again proves itself one notch above the GameFAQs community but one notch below the NeoGAF community in stupidity and utter ignorance.

Honestly, I am usually pretty blasé about these re-interpretations (they're not remixes, I wish people would use that term properly) of game music. It is very, very hit or miss.

Oftentimes they're put out by folks who - like in this case - are very technically capable, but don't seem to know crap about music, thematically or even just what sounds good. The ritualistic butchering of the last battle theme in this particular package, I think, illustrates this pretty well.

When they're good, they're very good, but that by and large comes from having good source material in the first place, and none of that can be attributed to these "remix" authors.

I do always enjoy checking them out though.

I've found that the quality of OC ReMixes has declined in the last several years. It's become like VGMix, where nearly anybody who can put chords together could submit.

Do you remember the high quality of mixes released in the first few years, when djpretzel still made emulation comics? That isn't to say that the new mixes all suck, but rather that there's so much coming out of the site that you have to stay dedicated to listening to posted songs to weed out the bad ones.

And when I say "high quality", I mean Alexander Prievert, McVaffe, Mutagene, Scott Peeples, ailsean, AmIEvil, etc.

Hell, McVaffe, AmIEvil, and ailsean have what are probably the most well-known remixes on the site, with AmIEvil's and ailsean's Terra remixes being the pinnacle of Final Fantasy mixes, and McVaffe is just generally awesome.

Incidentally, the OC albums that have come out in recent years haven't been that good, with the best one being the Super Turbo HD Remix soundtrack, which was good, but not great.

I would love to get this, but you seem to have broken the interwebs. Every torrent I try to get fails to load, and a lot of the trackers don't have this listed yet.

Why did you make an album that would break its delivery system once people heard how good it was?

EDIT: Oh, good. It finally managed to connect and start downloading.

I would love to get this, but you seem to have broken the interwebs. Every torrent I try to get fails to load, and a lot of the trackers don't have this listed yet.

Why did you make an album that would break its delivery system once people heard how good it was?

EDIT: Oh, good. It finally managed to connect and start downloading.

We broke the interwebs with our release? Sounds like a win to me. Completely blown away by how many people are trying to connect to torrent right now.

Nice work!

I demand a photoshopped Cecil nwg. Now.

I finally, just re-beat the game and am now fully awash in nostalgia. So I shall give a critical listen to this over the next couple/few days. But from the second half that I was able to tune in for at the irc kickoff, I was made very happy. Thanks guys. Remixing my favorite game of all time and doing an awesome job at it makes you all officially kickass in my book.

Also, I am so, so incredibly giddy that I have THREE FULL ALBUMS (and then some) to listen to. You guys covered... well... everything, didn't you? I couldn't ask for more.

Question: as tracks get posted on ocr, will there be any that are submitted/posted differently than they appear in the album? I ask because this might save bandwidth (at least from my downloading)... if I know a track is the same as on the album then I won't dl it, but if I think it could possibly be different then I'll dl it anyway. If that sounds AR, well, maybe it is, but I've found (subjectively, at least) better ocr versions before.

After having this for a couple days (well, not quite yet I guess) I just have to say I'm so glad this project has come to fruition. Not that I had any doubts, but with this being the first FF game I had ever played, and having come to know what to expect from OCR, the bar was set high, and this album definitely lived up to the hype.

I'd definitely like to do a more in depth breakdown of my opinion of the tracks once I've come to know them all a little better, but right now I'm just glad it's here, and having now experienced the entire album, it's safe to say the album is pretty friggen sweet.

Thanks to everyone involved for a serious dose of awesomeness!!!

PS: I think the Scuba Divers are my new heroes!! I knew as soon as I heard the Team Gato reference that I would love it, but having read that one dude's interview beforehand (the guy who hated it, if you read it you'll know what I'm talking about) I can't help but just laugh more.