lol Doom foley sounds

Nah, not impatient, though I am pissed at the cliffhanger at the end. Just how does the bear tear him apart? I really want to know.

Cyber bear? Steve Colbert is going to launch a full-scale war at that.

Humility forces me to admit my shame in not recognizing the Doom sound clips on first blush. That is absolutely hilarious though that a reputable wildlife station/magazine would stoop so low. Unless there's a sound engineer somewhere laughing his ass off at management.

Having not played a lot of Doom, I listened to the bear and then watched a Doom Cyberdemon video and a Doom 2 Cyberdemon video, and then the bear again, and I could not hear the same sound =( I'm sure they're the same though, if you guys say so =p

But it's not unlikely that Doom and National Geographic or whatever just used the same stock bear sound - somehow I don't think they stole it directly from Doom ^_^

wow doom sfx being used? :lol:

Been playing alot of doom and doom megawads like Congestion1024 and Alien Vendetta and in fact the sound effects used were not the Cyberdemon but the basic zombie soldiers with pistols and shotguns when you alert them...

here is the proof -->

Cyberdemon included and it sound a lot more louder and deeper than used in the natl geo flick.

More -->

That first sound effect is a zombie noise, not a cyberdemon. When the zombie first sees you he makes a suprised growl like that. The same growl's heard at 2:17 along with another zombie-surprised sound.

Gecko's right though, all the zombie and demon sounds were made from animal noises. I know that the sound an Imp makes when it dies is a llama. And one of the pained cries the zombies make is also a llama, but edited to sound human. The rest of the sound effects were taken from a generic sound pack that was widely used in the 90s. So it's not surprising to hear it elsewhere. You'll come across a lot of the soundeffects in movies, tvshows and even music. I know Rammstein used some of them on their earlier albums.

So to summarise, it's not actually taken from doom, it's from a sample soundpack, not unlike the ones we use to make music.

They sound like they've been put through some processors though... not just regular old bear sounds, but cyber bear sounds, if you will. The question, as Schwaltvald already asked, is why use the doom ones and not the originals. You'd think a company like National Geographic would have at least a handful of quality black bear sounds in their SFX library... these ones don't sound quite right.

That first sound effect is a zombie noise, not a cyberdemon. When the zombie first sees you he makes a suprised growl like that. The same growl's heard at 2:17 along with another zombie-surprised sound.

Gecko's right though, all the zombie and demon sounds were made from animal noises. I know that the sound an Imp makes when it dies is a llama. And one of the pained cries the zombies make is also a llama, but edited to sound human. The rest of the sound effects were taken from a generic sound pack that was widely used in the 90s. So it's not surprising to hear it elsewhere. You'll come across a lot of the soundeffects in movies, tvshows and even music. I know Rammstein used some of them on their earlier albums.

So to summarise, it's not actually taken from doom, it's from a sample soundpack, not unlike the ones we use to make music.

stop raining on my parade :<

actually I knew the first one was a zombie, but I was too lazy to mention it. And I realize the way the soundpack thing works, but I'd dare say that those particular sounds (the zombie and cyberdemon) were most famously recognized from doom.

The other sound you hear a ton from that same soundpack is that swishing sound when the megademon thing shoots the cubes out his head that turn into monsters. You hear that one in movies all the time. Too lazy to find a soundclip atm.

I worked as a sound producer in a radio station years ago and went through loads of sound effect libraries. I actually stumbled on a CD that had loads of sounds used in Doom, already processed and everything. Doors, elevators and yep, monsters. All just random noises with weird effects but when put into a context they work very well.

It's weird what you can find while browsing through SFX libraries. Lots of familiar stuff in there.