Anime

Alright, time to bust out some random stuff for you folks. Personally, I never really watched anime or read manga until about four-six months ago, but ever since I've been devouring it for some reason.

Here are some interesting/great/little known ones that you should check out:

Black Cat

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni / When the Cicadas Cry

Monster

History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi

Air Gear (if only for the awesome soundtrack)

Only check out the anime of Katekyo Hitman Reborn! if you can handle extreme shounen manganess. The manga is a lot better than you'd think, and you get hooked pretty quick.

Berserk is a classic but should definitely be watched. It's my personal favorite. And if you don't want it to end how it does (which is incredibly brutal to the viewer), check out the manga. All the current volumes are online and it's still being written (which is amazing considering it's been around for over a decade). The only reason I may deter you from it, though, is that the author tends to take month long breaks between chapters (the next chapter is due in September, for example), and the manga is in no way close to being over.

Those are just a few I can remember off the top of my head that really grabbed me. There was one about some weird angel that bashes in some kid's head repeatedly that was hilarious, but I can't remember the title for the life of me. Anyway, enough rambling. Check'em out, but don't take my word for it.

So how about that curve ball? 8-O

Really good, as expected of Phantom. lol. It's really not the most innovative show, but it just does it so tastefully and with very good gravitas. And the music is just chilling at times. Amazing soundtrack, really.

As for Berserk and Claymore, the most people can expect is maybe an OVA of Berserk or if there's enough demand (I doubt it), it might make it into an anime overhaul like Full Metal Alchemist did. At least with Claymore, they can do something about it, though Madhouse stupidly decided to go with an anime-original ending. Maybe they can do something about it...

And speaking of Higurashi, the new show Umineko no Naku Koro Ni (When Seagulls Cry) is really good too. It's basically like Higurashi except with a mystery surrounding a witch instead of a rural god like in Higurashi.

Fist. of. the. North. Star. Watch it. Nao.

I will and I shall. It is the most manliness anime of all time.

Well, this past weekend I finished up watching the first season of Haruhi Suzumiya. It's a good series, a bit overrated and overhype but generally at the end, it was a pretty damn good show. The humor and the whole shit about Haruhi's reality wrapping powers got to me. I am hearing the second season isn't really that great at all since it is just a repeat of the same damn episode through a diffrent viewpoint of a character.

The only characters who I actually like were Kyon (because of him being a cynical bastard), Ryoko (for her being a nutcase, pyscho-bitch), and that esper dude(for the comedic relife). Haruhi was cool and all but it's really a meh for her. And I don't see why Yuki is so damn popular. I really didn't like her. At all.

SEED was indeed good, and after awhile I started getting used to the dubs(save the dub for Lacus' songs).

SEED Destiny however is a trainwreck that didn't know what it wanted to be. I think I read somewhere that it was supposed to be some kind of allegory to or at least influenced somewhat by the confusion of the current war in Iraq.

If you ask me, they succeeded in spades in that regard. I was confused and irritated as fuck.

Gundam seed was good. But their habit of recycling footage drove me crazy at times. And the main two characters, after their initial period of development, became quite dull. The secondary characters were great all the way through though.

I'm actually just starting to watch Destiny now. I'm not at a point where I can judge it. What about Gundam 00 though? How's that compared to Seed?

Gundam seed was good. But their habit of recycling footage drove me crazy at times. And the main two characters, after their initial period of development, became quite dull. The secondary characters were great all the way through though.

I'm actually just starting to watch Destiny now. I'm not at a point where I can judge it. What about Gundam 00 though? How's that compared to Seed?

Season 1 of Gundam 00 is pretty great, or at least moderately good although I don't know if I prefer it over SEED. I can't really recommend it though being that it ends on a cliffhanger and you'll have to subject yourself to the pain of watching season 2 to see the resolution(?) of it all.

Another anime that just finished recently was K-on!, which is pretty much Beck meets Azumanga Daioh with more of a focus. If you haven't seen Beck, I'd recommend that as well.

Did I mention Gungrave? If anyone has missed out on this, go see it post haste. If I had a top 5 anime list, it'd definitely be there.

IMO, Gundam Wing will always reign supreme as the best Gundam show ever. However, I would put the first season of Gundam 00 right behind it (and SEED close behind that).

The second season, though...? I mean, I've only watched up to episode 13 so far...but it just all seems pointless so far. I think they honestly should've just ended Gundam 00 at 25 episodes. =\ I mean, episode 25 was the big epic OH SHI- battle they always have anyway, so it seemed a fitting spot for it to end.

As for Destiny...I'd be understating my dissatisfaction with that series if I said I wanted to drive a large wooden stake through both of my eyes rather than watch it again.

Dennou Coil

amazingly unique anime. great concept! The animation is just too good.

Good God YES - watch this series!!! I generally can't stand this type of anime, but I found myself utterly astonished by how awesome it really was. The soundtrack isn't bad, either - especially the full version of the opening. =D

The only thing I liked about Shinn is the fact that he is the ONLY main character in a Gundam series(aside from my No.1 fav Shiro Amada) that actually had military training going into it, and his background was interesting as a "casualty" of war. Too bad they botched him as an interesting character.

My reasoning for my two favorite characters from the series aren't very complex, I just like Stellar and Luna's character designs.

IMO' date=' Gundam Wing will always reign supreme as the best Gundam show ever. However, I would put the first season of Gundam 00 right behind it (and SEED close behind that).

The second season, though...? I mean, I've only watched up to episode 13 so far...but it just all seems pointless so far. I think they honestly should've just ended Gundam 00 at 25 episodes. =\ I mean, episode 25 was the big epic OH SHI- battle they always have anyway, so it seemed a fitting spot for it to end.

As for Destiny...I'd be understating my dissatisfaction with that series if I said I wanted to drive a large wooden stake through both of my eyes rather than watch it again.

[/quote']

They had to continue. Every gundam series has always had 50 episodes.

Or so I think. I have yet to see one that didn't.

If OVAs count, then 08th MS Team qualifies with only 12 episodes.

Also, when I first saw mention here that the new Haruhi season sucked because the past 5 episodes have been the same thing over and over again with minor variations, I thought you were joking. I was wrong. Oh so wrong. It was somewhat interesting to try to note every little change in each episode, but otherwise... DEAR LORD WHY!?!?! Two episodes would've been enough!

If they want to pull this season off with even a mediocre rating, the rest of the season needs to be freaking awesome.

i dunno where all the hate for 00 Season 2 is coming from, I've been enjoying the character development immensely. Then again, i'm only just under halfway through, so maybe I just haven't seen enough.

Yeah, it jumped the shark at a specific moment for me. Like, that moment was dumb when I saw it, and looking back, after that moment, the entire show went downhill. I think it is exactly the halfway point too.

My thoughts on Destiny are complicated. It is very obvious that the writers didn't know where they were going most of the show and just sort of cobbled the plot together. And yet, it has awesome moments (the final confrontation between Kira and Dullindal (Durandal?), the episodes where Kira and Athrun are fighting yet again, Kira vs. Shinn). Those moments get my pulse racing, so I can forgive the show for that. People tend to hate Kira and Lacus in Destiny a bit and are unhappy with what happened to Cagalli. As far as Cagalli goes, I can see how two years of dealing with a bunch of political d-bags (I imagine all of Orb's cool politicians died with her father in SEED) would grind a person down, especially someone like Cagalli who is much more of a warrior than a politician. Kira and Lacus are accused of being too perfect, but since Lacus is my anime dream woman my response is "She's perfect and that's a problem?" Someone who is feminine, talented, intelligent, a great leader, and who hands out Gundams to stop wars sounds like an awesome package to me.