OCR01113 - Final Fantasy IX "Hunter's Etude-Scherzo"

djpretzel

According to the front page, two Blak_Omen's worked on this piece. ;) Can only mean it's twice as good.

This has some great composition and playing. However I'm opposed to the whole speeding up and slowing down thing. I like a standard tempo, this throws me out.

The lower keys don't seem to fit in some sections. But the actual tune is beautiful. I love fast chords.

oh man, it's just such a pity about the lower keys. They're smashing the tune out of control around 2:30.

So overall, good composition, great playing, lower keys are over powering, some area's are out of timing.

I've been following blak_omen's work on the WIP forums for a while now. I'm glad to see his finished work on the OCR main page. I'm also a big fan of MC's work, some of my favourite OCR songs are by him. Thelonius Temple comes to mind. I'm not at all surprised to see that this collaboration has produced splendid results. Kudos to both.

DJP wasn't kidding when he said not to expect a tender and gentle piano peice this time. This is harsh and brazen, and some of the dissonances really set me off balance. At the same time, it's driving and powerful, and sweeps you along for a wild ride, whether you're ready to hit the bumps or not. This isn't the sort of piano I usually like, but this is darn good piano regardless, and there is no denying that.

Is this a live recorded piano, by the way? If sampled, these are some amazing samples.

I'd love to hear this played live some day. This feels like the sort of peice that would be even more awesome if you were sitting in a large concert hall and feeling the vibrations of those driving notes through your seat and through the floor...

Well done.

Many people only make use of the softer, gentler side of the piano. It wasn't called a pianoforte for nothing, it can get incredibly loud and powerful! I thought that OCR needed a "stronger" piano remix choice just to show you that piano isn't just sappy love songs or tearful ballads. It's also got a lot of oomph and power behind it!

I hope I conveyed that well. And also, about 70% of the credit for this piece should go to MC. He did all the piano sequencing and did a fantastic re-arrangement of my arrangement. If you're interested in hearing what MC worked from you can download the sheet music from:

http://individual.utoronto.ca/lionheart/sheets/chaseofthehunter.zip

(if it doesn't work or it's the wrong sheet music please PM/email me and I'll see what I can do)

Anyway I'm glad to see people enjoying it, it's been a long ride but a worthwhile one. If you've got any questions I'd be happy to answer them to the best of my ability. Otherwise, enjoy!

(Keep an eye out for my next remix!)

Wow. Without a doubt THE finest piano mix on OCR, period! I particularly like the homage to Rachmanioff in the intro. THIS is the kind of arrangement I'd like to hear more of (does anyone else find it sad the djpretz needed to put a disclaimer saying this wasn't a soft, sweet arrangement, even though this is an arrangement of Hunter's Chance?). This is great. It's really really great.

Did I mention it's great? 'Cuz it's great.

*listens again*

The only things I don't like about this piece are the dissonances (which are everywhere) and the seeming randomness of the notes. These are only obvious on the first listen and become unnoticeable after a few good listens, so it's OK. The song really picks up as it moves on... like past the one minute mark. Overall, it sounds fantastic.

Some random thoughts:

-I disagree with whoever's comment that the ending didn't provide enough closure; on the contrary, that sort of rushed-sounding ending perfectly fits a wild and vibrant piece like this.

-It's definitely not something I want to have on in the background while browsing message boards or doing homework or whatever. This is a great example of music you need to actively listen to. I just can't get over how incredibly rich this remix is.

-Good song choice. I've always felt that FF9 music has that sort of hokey quality to it (not in a bad way) that would make most of its songs good for piano arrangements. The rambling note structure in this remix very well fits the time the song is used. The hunting contest in FF9 always has this frantic feeling to it (gotta kill one more bear or Vivi wins!), which is nicely represented in this piece. It wouldn't make sense if you did, say, the Treno or Cleyra music in this manner, but the hunting contest works well.

wow, sounds like someone playing hunter's theme on a piano with a lot of umph. sounds like someone is almost banging the thing and the theme is somehow coincidence.

Agreed- lots of banging.

Very very clunky and bad.

Evens out around 1:45 but..

Besides a couple of cute melodic moments, it just sounds too choppy and MIDIish for what you're trying to do. I like the ending, though.

Just being honest.

• 4 months later...

I really liked this song. Nice slow intro, but then it gets a little quicker and disharmonic. I don't know what it is about disharmony that attracts me so, but in the end, I just thoroughly enjoyed this song. However, it was lacking something memorable, so by the time I had finished listening to another remix, I actually couldn't remember what this one sounded like--I had to go back and listen to it again before reviewing it. So I'm going to give it an 8.5/10, for it was quite good stand alone, very unique, but it just lacked that oomph that makes a mix memorable.

When a remix gives me a vivid image in my head while I listen to it...I'ts because its good! I swear...this is pretty damn awesome! The crazy piano sounds awesome, just like Mario RPG's Waltz of pain! This is by far one of my favorite piano remixes. 9/10 ^_^

• 7 months later...

I composed what was the final version of this remix some time ago--a time that can now meaningfully be measured in years--having never heard the original from FF9, only Blak_Omen's rendition which I worked from.

I just listened to the original, and I can definitively say that it sounds nothing like the remix I composed here. So the nay-sayer is right. :D

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have heard the word Scherzo before, Kingdom Hearts "Scherzo-di-notte", but I do not know what it means. This was quite the hectic pianopiece of what I´ve heard. It rushes through the whole mix, like a hunter on his loyal horse, running over the green fields and shady meadows in the chase of a Zaghnol. This shows the real power you can take from a piano, it depends on how much keys you press at once. Or maybe not.

Blak_Omen, MC, Nice work.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Reading over the previous comments, I see that everybody likes different stuff. You know, some people like apples and some people like oranges?

Similarly, people's musical tastes differ. Blak_Omen and MC remixed the Hunter Theme as they saw fit. People who don't have the same musical tastes as the remixers might not appreciate it as much as some people do.

Which category do I fall in? Neither, I would fit more into the "sniveling fanboy a**kisser" category. Because this remix rocks my socks.

I downloaded this on September the 14th of '06. Since that point, it has gotten 63 plays (oops, song just finished. Make that 64) since I downloaded it. It is currently in a 3 way tie with Spieluhr by Rammstein and some Matrix II Trance mix as the most played song in my library.

Really. It seems funny when I step back and think about it. Remixes, by average joes like me (except with much more musical talent) can trounce the 5 gigs of "real" songs done by "real" musicians in my library. Remixers=the sex.

Anyways, about this piece. It's badass, to be sure. I loved the original Hunter's Chance theme, and I love piano remixes. Especially piano that can portray a level of tension and driving energy that no rock band could ever hope to match. Would I change some things about it? Maybe a little. In some places the tempo could be tweaked a little (let me explain..I know, this is a solo piece. It goes by whatever tempo the solist feels like, so it can go sloooowww fast fst fst sloooww...But in some places, I would've done it SLIGHTLY differently). Of course, I'm not the one with the mad piano/mixing skills, so I really have no idea if any of what I just said makes sense.

Regardless, this remix does it for me, 10/10, I love it, it's the best (for me), I just came, etc.

Keep it up, guys.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01113 - Final Fantasy IX "Hunter's Etude-Scherzo"