OCR01888 - Sonic the Hedgehog 3 "Snowboardin' Sonic"

djpretzel

The ONLY things I'm not completely feelin' about this piece are the kick and snare. They just don't work for me (neither the samples nor the patterns).

That being said, EVERYTHING ELSE ABOUT THIS IS SIICKKKK!!!!!!! I wonder what this would sound like with some drum n' bass/Pendulum-esque drums...oh mannn.

But seriously, phenomenal synth work Willrock. I love your interpretation of the Ice Cap Zone theme!

but am so glad I gave it a chance! Just like what the review said - so what for a new Ice Cap song (or a new Schala song, or a new Tetris song...)?

Well I'm now on my 4th loop and it's still awesome. I totally dig the 80's theme in this, just like in your first Remix on this site for Zelda. Keep up the great work and I can't wait to hear more!

About time. :D

Not too familiar with Sonic or even Ice Cap Zone a year back when I heard this the first time I didn't know what was source and what wasn't, and that's a good sign. The source is used well and the original content is seamlessly blended in with differently variations of source.

I do agree with Larry and others who have complained about the simple synths. The lead, when it first comes in, bothers me a bit, it's a little too simple compared to what I'm used to. Then again, the overall sound is full of simpler synth sounds, so it's not hard to look past it and just enjoy this 80's revival track. :D

It's a fun track. I envy you a bit. :P

Hrmm. First thing I see when I log on today is a new STH:3 remix. As a rule, I tend to only get stuff from games I've played, apart from projects. So it was a "Yes to download."

First thing I saw in the IRC chat was not to download. My response was "too late," as I already had downloaded it, and was on the play of it before being archieved for when I get me a sick ass vehicle to play the best OC tunes in... learning to drive provided.

It's not the BEST Ice Cap Zone remix of the lot out there. But, It's good enough to pass on my playlist. Lol.

Always like to hear new stuff anyway, traditional music and what's on the radio sucks compared to OCR and Prog.

Great remix. One of the more interesting interpretations of this piece I've heard in a while.

Firstly, the instrumentation is a bit of a mixed bag. The drums are adequate, nothing too special. Some of the synths are pretty bland, while others work pretty well. Even though I've heard a lot of these synth presets over and over again, the arrangement more than makes up for it.

The arrangement is really really nice, and a lot of the harmonies add a nice touch to it. It has SO much that the original piece didn't have, and yet retains the same feel of the original.

Overall, good job. If I was on the judges panel, I would consider this barely passable, mainly because of the production quality. But hey, arrangement is where this piece really succeeds!

Not to be a broken record, but I catch what people are saying about some of the synths sounding a little limp. And honestly, I agree that the drums sound fake and weak. The drums are probably the weakest part. I like DJP's suggestion about switching over to Toms, that would probably fit the retro feel better.

All that said, your interpretation of the song was fantastic, and kept the (admittedly common) source tune interesting. It has a good sense of workmanship, even if the instrumentation could've been improved some. But you know what? This was a fun song, and I like it quite a bit. Congrats on a successful, unique submission on a well-worn source tune. :D

hey, willrock's ice cap remix finally got posted!

I have it in my library from when he first posted it in the wip forum

<3

Halc, you've obviously not heard BGC's "eastern ice field" or DigiE's "breaking the ice".

Eastern Ice Field may be a more complex production, and the the style is certainly unique, but all the great synth soloing/interpretation in this mix (i have to mention that 1:44-2:33 is absolutely fantastic) warrants more listens on my playlist.

I'm not gonna try to argue with Breaking the Ice (true, I hadn't heard this one) - either way, leave me alone. I can praise this as much as I want, and I think it's a great ice cap mix that holds its ground among any other great ice cap mix.

Didn't someone say something once somewhere that there can never be too many IceCap remixes?

I could tell what type of remix this was going to be as soon as I saw the title.

Still have yet to download it so maybe I shouldn't have even posted this.

Nice additional harmonies and solos. That's what really brings this one to life.

I agree that the drums are the weak point here, there's no velocity shifts at all.

The good news is that the synths sound pretty good. There's a few clarity issues, but things are clear enough to hear what's going on.

Good stuff, I enjoyed it. :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01888 - Sonic the Hedgehog 3 "Snowboardin' Sonic"