Teen Agent: The Root of All Evil - History

Brandon Strader

You kicked him off for Morse. Of course he didn't get it done.

I'M disappointed.

Yeah but when I asked Morse, I also sent this little ditty

I know you are having computer problems, and you were totally good for your word with providing the track. Some things are just inevitable and I don't hold it against you at all. I wanted you both to know that, I think, everything will be OK and the project should still be on schedule for February 2nd.

If somehow you get your computer fixed, I would LOVE to include your version of Army Blues, I really would. Please let me know if that happens. But if it doesn't, I didn't want you to be stressed out.

And also Morse isn't on the project because of personal family tragedy. So in all honesty, I'm not disappointed with anyone, some shifts were made, some inevitabilities were inevitabilized. Time to move on!! >=D

Speaking of which, I finished my revisions tonight. Just waiting on, I think, 2 or 3 people. It's convenient that I did so many tracks I guess, in this regard. Revisions from everyone (everyone being OCRE hehe) are not completely necessary but I think everyone listening would appreciate the extra work and refinement. And yes, the real magic is being done by superjoe and bjkmenu who will become posted mixers with their work. Good luck guise. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

I spoke too soon before. All of the final revisions are turned in right now. Now it is just a matter of waiting for the album to be released when they get around to it. There's a new song not on this list which I think people will really enjoy. I am very excited for the album to be released, and to hear what people think of it -- especially Radek Sjamrez, who is waiting for this album. :)

Thanks again to everyone who helped this album become a reality, especially those who stepped in at the last minute to make sure songs got covered!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I must say that I'm glad this album is coming out soon (correct me if I'm wrong, 95% percent sure it is). I'm always excited to hear new music come out from OCR, and though this may be a smaller and, personally for me, unknown game, I look forward to hearing it reinterpreted.

My last thoughts on this are that, in the end, ladies and gents, I believe it comes down to the music. We can all have our gripes and secretly or openly dislike other people, but at the end of the day, we should all be able to sit back and acknowledge that its still music, and the music doesn't necessarily reflect the attitude of the person.

I hope everyone has a good night/day/week/month, etc. Now, let's find that root of all evil, shall we? :lol:

I was 95% sure of it too, in my brain. But things didn't work out for us for the better, I'm afraid. I am really happy with everyones work and I've said this before but I love the album, I listened to it a lot. I'm probably the only person who will listen to the album that much in its current form though, as things are going to change.

My songs "With Love", "A Bad Trip", and possible others are being dropped from the album due to not having a clear enough source usage. This is mostly due to my bad understanding of 'how much' of a source needs to be used. There's source in them for sure but it's not clear enough, and it would be easier to just make new songs. Without these, we don't have a passing 1/3 (by OCR's standards).

Until I find out what other songs need to be redone, here are the two that are currently dropped. I hope you enjoy them! :-)

"With Love" here

"A Bad Trip" here

I enjoyed the tracks Brandon, sorry to hear that they're being dropped. Are you planning to re-do them yourself?

I'm glad you liked them! I've already redone one of them but haven't bounced a final version yet. I hope I just have to replace A Bad Trip and the other songs pass the panel. :-D I had hoped this would be done a month ago and all of us could move on to other musical projects by now but... things happen. :-(

We should also have an update from the mystical OCRE and the magical superjoe. The process is a little overwhelming and very disappointing but I have a feeling it'll happen for us, eventually. Mostly because I will nawt stawp until the great music of all of these artists gets the recognition that it deserves. :-P

Well, you certainly have the dedication to get this project done quickly, so I have faith you'll be done soon. Hell, if you finish this within the next month or two I think you'll still hold the record of 'FASTEST PROJECT EVER!!', so no worries - just take a deep breath and polish it up so everyone can enjoy it.

Really, how long has it been, six months? That ain't nothin' in OCR time :lol:.

• 1 month later...

I am sorry, I know I am being overly pushy concerning the delay of this project and I know that you are all working very hard on a lot of different things. I just want to move on to the next project so badly and I wouldn't go as far as to say this is holding me up because it isn't, but it's definitely an aspect of my daily thought pattern that could have a lot more closure. So I am sorry if I rubbed anyone the wrong way and thank you for being so understanding...

On a good note, both Emunator and halc have heard the 3 replacement songs and said that they should all pass. We should be closer to 1/2 than 1/3 passable when the time comes to release Teen Agent in the future.

• 1 month later...

For the sake of keeping this thread semi-alive and the project somewhere in peoples' awareness, here is a bump. It's not a sightly bump. It's a little grotesque and malignant, but who am I to judge.

Here is a list of the songs out of the total 13 that should pass the panel based on feedback and revisions:

2. Mark Hopper (Intro-C2) [bjkmenu]

4. Trapped (Prison) [brandon Strader]

5. A Village's Welcome (Village) [Vampire Hunter Dan]

6. Lingering Lust (Lovers) [brandon Strader]

7. A Mouse in the Hole (Cave) [OCRE, Brandon Strader]

10. On A Boat (Island Reggae) [brandon Strader]

12. Of Darkness (Cave) [brandon Strader]

13. Lovers' Suite (Lovers) [Vampire Hunter Dan]

So 8 out of 13, not bad, not bad. Little more than half. Solid, respectable, appreciated.

Edit: I prepared a project Mp3 pack for project members, I hope you all enjoyed it.. !!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

just release the darn album already, jeez. if people dig it, fine. if they don't, fine. I've heard other OCR albums and I've heard this album....it's got enough variety and spunk to rank up there with the good ones. I guess if I want this to move forward I'm going to need to write up some reviews or previews. Maybe that will spark some fires.

just release the darn album already, jeez. if people dig it, fine. if they don't, fine. I've heard other OCR albums and I've heard this album....it's got enough variety and spunk to rank up there with the good ones. I guess if I want this to move forward I'm going to need to write up some reviews or previews. Maybe that will spark some fires.

I'd actually like to see your track by track review regardless... if you're up to it, feel free!

I forgot that I'd added on to this thread in an edit. So here's a more updated edit as some people may have seen my question there. I got an update straight from the boss pretzel that they are waiting until AFTER Otakon before they release any more projects. Having said that, Teen Agent is not the next one to come out, so anyone who wants to revise their track further or even make another one, now's the time. Anyway, it doesn't look like they've CANCELLED US, so that's a good thing, and I am really looking forward to the next albums!

• 3 weeks later...

Radek Szamrej is a very busy man these days. Not with music, but with inventions and things of that nature. I just received word from him that he has heard the Teen Agent project.

I got the mp3s and had a quick scan and only thing i can say it is awesome. Every song brings back the momories... Good job! I am currently at the Seattle airport heading back to Munich via SFO... Cheers!

Thank you all for helping me re-create these fond momories! I hope the album can come out SOON!

how did you get in touch with the composer originally? this is great news. i'll sit down and write some stuff about the album in a few days. maybe sooner than that.

I'll see if i can recall some of my fondest momories of listening to the uncut album, courtesy of Brandon Strader. get r done ocr. get r done.

how did you get in touch with the composer originally? this is great news.

I searched for him on Facebook, found a random guy with his name and just shot off a message. It took like months before I got a response, but it was him. Very interesting guy. Still does some music (he sent me an mp3) but his main thing is inventing now. He has a video of a home-made segway on youtube.

Radek Szamrej is a very busy man these days. Not with music, but with inventions and things of that nature. I just received word from him that he has heard the Teen Agent project.

Originally Posted by Radek Szamrej

I got the mp3s and had a quick scan and only thing i can say it is awesome. Every song brings back the momories... Good job! I am currently at the Seattle airport heading back to Munich via SFO... Cheers!

Thank you all for helping me re-create these fond momories! I hope the album can come out SOON!

holy crap that's awesome

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Teen Agent fans and remixers! I have written up reviews of my preview copy of the upcoming album: Teen Agent: The Root of All Evil. In these reviews I try to be as open and honest as possible, offering a few criticisms along the way. Of course, I cannot hide my genuine excitement for the music here, so take that into consideration when you read. Here you go:

01 - audio fidelity - i.n.t.r.o. (Intro-A)

This one has a nice steady beat with lots of chippy-synth action. Even though the backbeat only changes 3 times, the added effects and funkadelic accents give new life to what could have been just another club song. Overall it has a very punchy sound and gets the point across very well. My only problem with the song is the beginning is a touch too loud and there are other spots that could use some leveling. Also, it is a good choice for an opening song for the album because it jumps out at you.

02 - bjkmenu - Mark Hopper (Intro-C2)

Don't let the title fool you, Mr. Strader did quite a bit on this song. He handled many of the synth lines, the end solo, and final mastering. The drums are a little crazy, but I don't think I will ever be able to change that because I enjoy quirky drums too much. The song was very experimental, I must admit. Mixing electronic sounds with latin beats and blending styles can be pretty tricky. Yes, there are parts where I took some musical liberties, but I don't think it would have been possible to NOT take chances on top of those wacky drums. Finally, I'll admit there are a few pitchy spots, but I think it adds flavor to the stew. Love it or hate it, it's there.

03 - superjoe - Celtic Wedding March (March)

There is a very interesting arrangement here. I could be wrong abou this, but it sounds like the heavily accentuated synth chords are played live, and it gives the song a very emotional essence even though obviously most of this is programmed. Maybe superjoe himself could give us the details on this. That would be nice. I enjoyed the drums especially here, although I probably would have chosen a beefier set. Since this is definitely an electronic mix, the tone choices make sense. From the opening whistle you are treated to an expressive video game remix, and a few unexpected twists. superjoe, onward!

04 - Brandon Strader - Trapped (Prison)

The lead guitar really stands out early on in this song. Very emotional, expressive and cleverly executed. Rhythm tones are good. I would probably bring down the drums a bit and raise up those excellent rhythm guitars. This is just a personal taste issue, though. This song is probably the only metal song on the album and it delivers some punch. It also gives the album some variety.

05 - Vampire Hunter Dan - A Village's Welcome (Village)

This is an excellent use of orchestal elements. Crescendo, decrescendo, and the like are all here. It is very realistic. The drums, the arrangement, and the melodies with changing instruments are very well done. It will have you humming during and after the listening experience--just an excellent remix and a real gem for this album. It has a very uplifting quality. I feel much better now.

06 - Brandon Strader - Lingering Lust (Lovers)

Strings with acoustic guitar always make a winning combination. Add to that some live bongo and you've got a very calming remix. The acoustic rhythms later on in the song are very well put together, giving the full ranges of each chord. Brandon gives us some very expressive soloing on acoustic guitar as well. Live playing gives a great flavor for this one.

07 - OCRE, Brandon Strader - A Mouse in the Hole (Radio Edit) (Cave)

I'm not sure who did what for this one, but it meshes considerably well. At 1:42, it changes a bit. I believe that the high pitched bells on the counter-lead are a bit over-used. Other than that, the song seems as though it is leading up to something big. So, in that case the song serves it's purpose. There are enough slight variations to carry this song on its own. Something big is about to happen. The emotional beginning is my favorite part and then on to the meat.

08 - Brandon Strader, the prophet, Usa - Sax of Gold (Army Blues)

Sounds like there are many live elements here. Live keydrumming, live saxophone, and of course live electric guitar are present. I guess I'm not a fan of the rhythm choir pads or the counter-lead synth. There is some serious jamming and improvisation going on here, and I always appreciate that. You may want to tighten up those drums though, it's a bit distracting.

09 - superjoe - 100% Juice (Multi-Fruit Juice)

The skillful use of synth is very present. There are many fun little changes here are there that give this one character. The chippy stuff is excellent. Overall this gets to the point in a very entertaining way. superjoe's contributions to the album are now complete.

10 - Brandon Strader - On A Boat (Island Reggae)

Listen! Can you hear the live marimba/xylophone improvisation? How about the funky rhythm guitars? The bass is very strong here as well. A good 'get to the point' remix with some tonal flavor. The arrangement sneaks in on you.

11 - Flik - Memories Within The Walls (Castle)

This one is quite fonky, indeed. I enjoyed the changing synth tones very much. The quality of sound and effects are good as well. Don't forget about the bass. I enjoy Flik's unconventional style, especially the breaks and transitions.

12 - Brandon Strader - Of Darkness (Cave)

The choir works, but it may need to come down a bit in the beginning. Maybe cutting out the choir in certain sections would help. I am guessing the choir is a necessary element here. Of course, this is only my personal preference. I appreciate the good acoustic guitar and live drumming. I just wish the choir would go away for a little while so I could concentrate on it and the flute and such.

13 - OCRE - Army Base Infiltration (Army Blues)

This is one of my favorite tracks on the album. I guess I'm partial to the sounds being used here. Some of the background sounds are very reminiscent of the Sega Genesis. That is always a plus. I just wish this were a bit longer with possibly a break down.

14 - Vampire Hunter Dan - Lovers' Suite (Lovers)

Another fine orchestral entry. More realistic remixing, more dynamics, and more goodness. A great way to round the album out. This is the song of victory and love. This song contains musical magic. Listen to that beautiful ending!