Petara

I don't think I chimed in on my thoughts yet:

Despite the anti-american, and the extremely overused anti-corporation insertions, I thoroughly enjoyed the film. The 3D gave me a super bad headache for about half the movie, but i then realized that it was because i forgot my glasses and me trying to strain to see better negated the 3D effect... So, even blurry, the effects were amazing. A lot of the story was cliched and heavy-handed, but still enjoyable.

Anyone else feel like the first 3 notes of the main theme sound EXACTLY like Titanic's theme? I kept expecting the Na'vi equivalent of Celine Dion to pop out and start singing. Really bothered me...

Anyone else feel like the first 3 notes of the main theme sound EXACTLY like Titanic's theme? I kept expecting the Na'vi equivalent of Celine Dion to pop out and start singing. Really bothered me...

Yes, it didn't bother me though. I wonder if Leona Lewis will sing another big theme song.

Some Dutch online "newspaper" "reported" that many people had depressions or suicidal thoughts after seeing the movie, and realizing that planet it plays on does not exist and our world is crap :P

It's probably taken horribly out of context though, seeing how it used "various forums on the internet" as its source...

So...you guys experienced anything like that after seeing the movie? :P

My two cents on this may have this thing moved to PPR, but I'll toss the coins in anyway. I haven't seen the movie yet, so I'll just quote the source this came from.

I was listening to a sermon (read more before flamage) that made reference to some of these forums. The pastor claims that although Avatar never actually meant to cause suicidal thoughts or depression, it does cause people to become spiritually hungry and look for a "Pandora" to escape from this life. Yet he says that heaven will be better than Pandora.

Since I chew the meat and spit out the bones while studying most sermons, I tend to consider this concept "bones material," due to the unreliable sources of these Dutch newspapers. But hey, now that it's been mentioned what kind of movie Avatar really is, I'm definately up for watching it, since I have no respect for the spirit behind current American mainstream pop-culture.

I loved it.

Didn't catch that at all. Though I think the credits were filled with a Celine Dion song. ;-)

My two cents on this may have this thing moved to PPR, but I'll toss the coins in anyway. I haven't seen the movie yet, so I'll just quote the source this came from.

I was listening to a sermon (read more before flamage) that made reference to some of these forums. The pastor claims that although Avatar never actually meant to cause suicidal thoughts or depression, it does cause people to become spiritually hungry and look for a "Pandora" to escape from this life. Yet he says that heaven will be better than Pandora.

Since I chew the meat and spit out the bones while studying most sermons, I tend to consider this concept "bones material," due to the unreliable sources of these Dutch newspapers. But hey, now that it's been mentioned what kind of movie Avatar really is, I'm definately up for watching it, since I have no respect for the spirit behind current American mainstream pop-culture.

I think that's a good way of thinking about it. After all, Heaven will be better than anyone could possibly imagine.

I really liked the movie, though in terms of its plot, Dances With Wolves was THE Indian-integration movie by comparison. And some parts of the action scenes simply did not make any sense (mainly the animal taming parts... so a ponytail connection = all problems going away?).

The 3D effects were great even though I probably watched it in the least quality 3D format.

Oh, and the entire battle scenes just reminds me what would happen when Terrans in Starcraft meets with the Night Elves in Warcraft.. And just like Nightelves, they take their entire livelihood from the World Tree (or their version of it) and they are stark blue.. Also, EPIC FLYING MOUNTS.

Oh, and can't wait for How to Train Your Dragon. Loved the people who worked on Kung Fu Panda and the 3D looked amazing for the CG cartoons.

Well, according to wikipedia, Avatar needs only $2 million more to become the highest grossing film of all time. Go Cameron.
The film is deserving of that honor imo, but I'd be more impressed with the box office dollar totals if people weren't paying 50% more than standard films to see it in 3D.

What I'm trying to say is: $16 for a movie!? Painful.

Yeah, I payed something like £9 to go and see it in 3d - usually it's more like 6 or 7. Not that it wasn't worth it, but still...

I think I remember reading that, inflation-adjusted, it still has a long way to go to beat Gone With the Wind.

If that’s the case, all we would be looking at is the ticket sales.

So with the overwhelming amount made on this movie, where does the money go? I assume it first goes to cover the cost of the movie, but then what? To Cameron? The studio for upcoming productions? To the staff distributed accordingly?

If that’s the case, all we would be looking at is the ticket sales.
Even if looking at only ticket sales, for a fair comparison we'd have to adjust for population, since the US has about half as many people as it did 70 years ago ;)
So with the overwhelming amount made on this movie, where does the money go? I assume it first goes to cover the cost of the movie, but then what? To Cameron? The studio for upcoming productions? To the staff distributed accordingly?

But seriously, I had the same question. If I were the studio/staff/actors, knowing what huge names were behind this film, I'd expect it to do well and therefore would have asked for a percentage of profits, rather than a fixed upfront fee. Not sure at all if this is how it's done...but it should be.

The film is deserving of that honor imo, but I'd be more impressed with the box office dollar totals if people weren't paying 50% more than standard films to see it in 3D.

What I'm trying to say is: $16 for a movie!? Painful.

That extra cash you're paying to see the movie with doesn't go to the total sales of the movie. It's extra expenses (i.e. 3d glasses, use of the special screen, etc.) that aren't included in the total.

Even if looking at only ticket sales, for a fair comparison we'd have to adjust for population, since the US has about half as many people as it did 70 years ago ;)

But seriously, I had the same question. If I were the studio/staff/actors, knowing what huge names were behind this film, I'd expect it to do well and therefore would have asked for a percentage of profits, rather than a fixed upfront fee. Not sure at all if this is how it's done...but it should be.

Major film contracts for actors will usually include royalties or a percentage of overall gross. The majority of the film's budget went toward developing the camera technology necessary to film the movie. The rest would have gone to developing the computer generated visual effects.

Major film contracts for actors will usually include royalties or a percentage of overall gross. The majority of the film's budget went toward developing the camera technology necessary to film the movie. The rest would have gone to developing the computer generated visual effects.

So you are saying that it cost nearly $2 billion to do that? Budget maybe, but profits?

Well, according to wikipedia, Avatar needs only $2 million more to become the highest grossing film of all time. Go Cameron.

I still have trouble believing this--if it wasn't for the extra cost associated with 3D/IMAX tickets.

It's definitely a big movie, but I remember how "Titanic" ruled the theaters and public consciousness in first few months of 1998, clear into the Spring. A parade of films ("The Wedding Singer," "Spice World"...) rose and fell from the weekly #2 slot, but never broke #1 because of it.

I dunno, I hear a greater percentage of "Avatar"'s sales come from international than "Titanic" did.