OCR01934 - *YES* Street Fighter 2 'The Masked Man'

Liontamer

Need to nail down exactly what version of SSF2T this source is from, if the PC has its own remixed soundtrack, but good stuff - LT

Nutritious

Justin Medford

NutritiousMultimedia@gmail.com

http://NutritiousMultimedia.googlepages.com

Super Street Fighter II

Vega's Stage Theme

This remix was created for the Street Fighter II remix competition at trackitdown.net. It was one of those mixes for me that just clicked very quickly - I think I ended up finishing it in 3-4 days. My intention was to keep a lot of the Spanish flavor from the original in the use of solo trumpet, acoustic guitar, and some auxiliary percussion; but also bring it to a more cinematic breakbeat-type style with orchestra and... er.... beats.

I tried to get enough realism from the guitar and trumpet (both sample based) to be passable for a Spanish feel, since those tend to be prominent instruments in the genre. The guitar especially took some work to get both sustained strums and quick solo playing to the point I felt comfortable keeping them.

The competition did require original samples to be included in the remix, which I know is frowned upon here, but I tried to keep them to a minimum. Most of the usage is at the very beginning and end of the mix from the OST vega stage theme (SSF2 Dos version I believe), but if this is too much original sampling, I can cut back pretty easily.

Enjoy,

Nutritious

EDIT (5/15): It's actually a good thing cause I'd made some changes (after some input from Avaris) and kept forgetting to send you updated version. By the way, I'm not entirely sure which version of street fighter this version of vega's theme comes from. I found a version of it on youtube (

) which has it under Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo PC Version. I think this is the correct OST.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I thought the drums didn't quite work the whole way, but what was there was solid enough. Mixing also could have been a bit cleaner, but totally not a big deal.

A minute's worth (:00-:31 & 3:51-4:21) of sampling for a 4:21-long track though is above what I'd call acceptable direct audio sampling, even if it's bookending the track. Since this isn't trackitdown, trimitdown to something much much smaller so it's more in line with limited direct sampling.

YES (conditional)

I think Justin's done adequate work otherwise that the sampling doesn't really concern me that much, although it probably wouldn't hurt if they wereshortened a bit.

Mix is decent. The kick is either a little too low to begin with, or else just not EQ'd that well, as it's pretty muffled throughout. Ha, 1:24 sounds like you're trying to throw a Star Trek cameo in there. Dunno if that was intentional or not, but :nicework: either way.

Not much else to add, really. Drums are well programmed, as is the orchestration, and the synth elements are blended with these very effectively. The samples may not be top-notch, but Justin knows how to get the most out of them!

Solid work.

YES

That guitar sample is a little distracting but there is enough of a performance with it and variation that it definitely works and there is a lot of care put into it. I'll echo the sentiment that some of the direct sampling can be trimmed, I'd focus on the stuff at the end i think, but a little can go from both sides.

Great breakdowns and pretty effective tempo changes, and though I am aching for some live guitar up in this, I certainly won't turn my nose up.

Cool synths and orchestra, and decent beats, but I think one thing you should focus on upcoming tracks is making some natural fills and really making the drums come alive. You have a good ear for writing cool patterns, but having some one-off tom hits here and there, or a slightly altered rhythm for a split second before returning to your regularly scheduled groove would take it to the next level.

Cut that direct sampling down and this is a go!

yes

I'd say make a version of this for us without the sampling, or at least maybe just cut the sampling at the end. It didn't add a whole lot to your piece, which was a very slick version of this weirdo Vega song I've never heard before. Brass and strings sound nice and tempo changes worked well. The guitar would have been nicer live, but it still gave this the Spanish atmosphere you were going for. My only criticism is the production seemed a little cramped and it was hard to hear some of the synth work. It might have been improved by using less elements at a time or spending more time on the EQ, but as is, this is fine work, Justin.

Let's close this but make sure the final version has less sampling involved.

YES (conditional)