OCR01898 - Pokémon Crystal Version "14.5 West Coast Radio (EXPN Card Required)"

djpretzel

This is awesome. Azalea Town's theme was awesome, and all the little parts of other themes put in there are very nostalgic. The ending was pretty disappointing. I was expecting a pretty big finish when you changed keys instead of a random fade out. Still, this mix is pretty awesome.

hahaha man this is such a funky remix! I loved this one all the way, I've been needing a good remix for a while, since I only listen to ones from games I've played, and haven't heard a new one for a while. This is such a funky remix, and I will continue listening to it a lot. Thank you :)

Haha, this is sick. I'm so glad there is another Pokemon song, there are WAY too few, so you get kudos right there.

Well executed, fun as all hell, nice breaks and drumwork, great instrument choices, and I just really like the atmosphere. Everything meshes very well. I also love that bass.

Those orchestral hits are so fun too!

Keep it up and give more... I'm a real pushover for chiptunish stuff.

That fadeout was kinda cheesy though lol... ANYWAY GREAT JOB!

p.s. I wish this was longer, however I can understand you not wanting to overdo it or tire the source. THE END!

Fun!! i've never even played pokemon.

Btw, I'm always happy when I see a remixer using a palette of rather quirky, somewhat nostalgic timbres instead of EWQLKontaktmassivewhathaveyou. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I just especially enjoy it when a remix pays tribute to the sonic qualities of VGM as much as to the arrangement.

Nice wurk!

The phrase "retro chip trip" comes to mind. This is a great little mix, really nostalgic. The bleepy-bloopy feel keeps it nicely energetic without being OOT, and it was fun to pick out the individual tracks mixed into it, which all worked really well together. Addition of the PC and item noises is a cute bonus.

But I have to agree with everyone else: the fade is pretty bad. It may have been better even just to have made it more gradual, because it's simply too quick. Still, it's far from bad enough to ruin the mix, so no major worries.

I love this mix (Aside from the ending, which I disliked very much).

It's so fun, contains so many memories, and expertly remixed.

Really, Pokemon music seems to be among the toughest tracks to remix. No one can seem to get the tracks right. Once in a blue moon, people get them right. In my opinion, this is the only Pokemon song on OC that gets it perfect, with the others getting 'em okay. Most Pokemon remixes crash and burn, though, so to be able to remix 'em is a great feat. (I'm not counting arrangements, which for some reason, also tend to crash and burn just as often as remixes.)

I also love how you added the PC noises and made them fit perfectly. <3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Inexplicably, while listening to this song for the first time, I got that tingly feeling in my nose that I get when I'm just about to cry. If you were trying to trigger my nostalgia, consider yourself successful. I've always loved Pokemon music and it never seems to get the remixes it deserves. Hearing the GSC generation represented here made me so happy. This is a wonderful medley; all of the tunes blend together excellently, never overpowering one another. It's full of energy and rhythm, while still keeping true to the original. It reminds me a bit of the Japanese remixer hapi⇒'s remixes, if you're familiar with him at all. (His Kirby and Pokemon ones tend to provoke the same 'about to cry from rush of happy memories' feeling from me.)

My only wish is that there was more of it! I'd love to hear you take on some of the other tunes from the game.

• 2 months later...

Proto, you are a BAMF! The synth mangling, the retro-sounding orchestra hits (and the rest of the sounds used, too) and the way all the pieces of music were linked together with sound effects and clever transitions make this one of the most FUN remixes I've heard in a long time.

You seem like a genuinely talented dude with a lot of passion for music, so please keep bringing it to the table like this Proto :-D I'm so stoked for all of your Pokémon mixes!

By the way, I liked the fadeout actually, though I think it could have lasted a little bit longer. No complaints from me on that count ;-)

• 2 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01898 - Pokémon Crystal Version "14.5 West Coast Radio (EXPN Card Required)"