Games that were nostalgic but now suck

Arcana

There were a lot of games that were good "back in the day". I wasted hours and hours playing to death games like Star Ocean 2 and Final Fantasy VII.

But there's a problem. I think my memory of those games thinks of those games as much better than they really are. There are some games that actually pass the test of time and that I play over and over again, but I have a hard time thinking that, if I go pick up and play Final Fantasy VII tonight that I'll think it's just as awesome as it was back in the day.

In comparison though, I could actually play Suikoden (the first game) a few times (mostly because it's so short) and feel entertained, or Final Fantasy Tactics/Tactics Ogre to death and not ever feel bored.

It is a dumb thing to worry about, but yes, polygon characters totally date themselves... whereas 2D sprites are "just a different type of art".

Care to elaborate?

sure

I recently played through it with a friend and realized that the story is so incredibly boring, and grinding magic/levels/weapons feels like much more of a chore in it than in other old RPGs. The only thing that I enjoyed really while playing it again was the soundtrack.

Honestly, i still enjoy playing through ff7. I've played through it twice in the past 2 or so years and have thoroughly enjoyed it both times. Also, I still love the shit out of all the ps1-era (Insomniac-made) spyro games. I got sick a couple months ago and spent the entire day playing through the trilogy. They are still incredibly fun and the music is the very definition of awesome.

However, Syphon Filter, Coolboarders 2 and most other games of the time are horrendously dull. Haven't been able to get very far into Chrono Cross either... but then, im stuck on the frustrating "stealth" part of the early game. I guess when i get passed that it might still be wonderful.

According to my cousin, excite bike on the NES.

He recalls how the graphics seemed so awesome back then, and everything was so fast.

Now it's like...a load of crap lol.

I can't really say for sure cause I never played it myself.

I like to go back and make retarded tracks every once in a while lol.

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

I remember loving it the first time through. Never did get 100 percent. Now I can't stay with it more than a few levels, a couple of worlds at the very most. I replay lots of games, but that one just doesn't seem to work for me.

I still really enjoy Star Ocean 2. One of my all-time favorites. I replay it frequently.

I have to disagree with atmuh on SoM, I recently started playing it and enjoyed it a lot. Until the mana fortress rose and I got stuck needing to grind up some more levels, at least. I need to get back and finish it. It's grind, but it's a jrpg, the newer ones are no less grindy. Still haven't beaten the girly man in the mountains in FFX. :D

Anyway, the PS1/N64 era games looked terrible then, and look terrible now. For me anyway. Yeah, I played the Zeldas and Mario and GoldenEye and whatever else we had, but the graphics usually bothered me. Not so much on the PS2/GC era, but the 3d of the day... I wasn't impressed.

Pretty much every game that you were nostalgic for sucks now, because you keep focusing on those sweet, glistening memories instead of the game itself.

You pick it up again expecting to relive those memories and feelings and when it doesn't because those memories and feelings are already transferred into you, you therefore conclude the game sucks.

Pretty much every game that you were nostalgic for sucks now, because you keep focusing on those sweet, glistening memories instead of the game itself.

You pick it up again expecting to relive those memories and feelings and when it doesn't because those memories and feelings are already transferred into you, you therefore conclude the game sucks.

wrong

i play mega man x4 at least once a month and its just as great every time as it was the first time i ever played it

super mario world 2: Yoshi's island

i remember loving it the first time through. Never did get 100 percent. Now i can't stay with it more than a few levels, a couple of worlds at the very most. I replay lots of games, but that one just doesn't seem to work for me.

I still really enjoy star ocean 2. One of my all-time favorites. I replay it frequently.

Tear into pieces! Burn to death! Oh, the almighty Tria!

The original Pokemon games I realized are kind of terrible. The improvements, at least the ones made in Gold & Silver, are so essential that it makes going back silly (bag of infinite holding, XP bar, Wooper, two extra types, actually somewhat useful ghosts, eggs, etc)

I've been kinda thinking about this... I never have before. This thread has a good point.

As I have played so many RPGs while growing up and agreeing that SoM was very....annoying....(I'm trying to be nice here haha) with the weapon/magic leveling.... though I don't think I will dare to say it sucks. Some games have something I dislike about them, but SoM is too nostalgic for me to say that it sucked. :P I'm gonna have to say....

Lufia & the Fortress of Doom. Yep, good soundtrack. Yep, neat characters...but it's just so boring and repetitive. I beat it at a very young age all by myself... I was so proud I took photos of myself with the ending on the TV. lol I made a posters stating I beat it and put it all around the house. My brothers thought I was nuts. ;) I did that to quite a few games like Super Mario World, Super Mario Bros. 3 and Donkey Kong Country. Still.... Once I played Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals, I changed my whole mind about Lufia 1. Just doesn't do it for me anymore. I have tried to play it again, but I always just stop because it's not the same.

I agree with Jade somewhat, I totally went after Lufia and the Fortress of Doom thinking it would be on the caliber of Lufia 2... I was sorely disappointed.

One game that had MAD childhood memories associated with it was Super Smash Bros...

DEAR GOD it was sooo slow... hahahaha but I remember playing that game FOR 99 minutes a shot.

I dunno, but the improvements they made to Melee and even Brawl just blew SSB out of the water.

I was thinking about all the games i was nostalgic about, and I think the only ones that I would hesitate to play would be mainly RPG's, simply because of the time required for many of them. Lots of old games I was nostalgic about are still fun, though they are far inferior. I recently played some 2 player Micro Machines (NES) and it was still an absolute riot!

I was thinking about all the games i was nostalgic about, and I think the only ones that I would hesitate to play would be mainly RPG's, simply because of the time required for many of them.

Yeah.....it started at the age of 18. I just got busy and didn't have time to play RPGs anymore. I still try to fit time, but it's just difficult. You can always grab a Game Genie though and enjoy the story...not do any "work." :P

Tear into pieces! Burn to death! Oh, the almighty Tria!

Hahahahaha yeah, voice acting was terrible, writing wasn't much better. The PSP version makes some improvements to both of those areas, but not a whole lot. I still love the game for its gameplay: The battle system, the skill system, item creation, private actions. Oh, and the music. One of my all-time favorite soundtracks. Just love it. The graphics aren't bad either. At least, the backgrounds are gorgeous. Characters close up are way too pixely and spell effects are kind of meh, but those backgrounds were always awesome.

On Lufia...I have both SNES games but never really played them. Funny enough, I just decided earlier today to try them again. Barely started Fortress of Doom before I remembered I had to do some other stuff. But I hope to get back to it tonight. I think I'm glad I'm playing them in order of release and not in story order, because based on everything I've read and heard and what I remember from my little time with each game, I think that I'd be sorely disappointed with Fortress of Doom if I play it after Rise of the Sinistrals.

Yeah.....it started at the age of 18. I just got busy and didn't have time to play RPGs anymore. I still try to fit time, but it's just difficult. You can always grab a Game Genie though and enjoy the story...not do any "work." :P

Frankly, a lot of RPG stories are terribly dated. Their stories are awesome when you're ages 12-19... but then after that you realise that a lot of those stories are bad.

Another game that I love but can't go back and play is Xenogears. Lack of text scroll speedup would torture me to death.