OCR02101 - *YES* Donkey Kong Country 2 'Party's Over Here'

Palpable

Remixer name - OA

game: Donkey Kong Country 2

remix name: Party's Over Here

song: Cranky's Conga (and a little bit of cranky's cabin)

original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slcFSr4eMSo

Comments:

The last track available on the DKC2 project, it's really cheerful and peppy, so it was time to do a party song. Acoustic and electric guitars, lot of synths and keyboards, and some layered percussion. In addition to DKC2, it uses the melody from cranky's theme from DKC as well. I wanted it to sound like a pop song you'd hear on the radio, so it has a fadeout guitar solo, and is 3 minutes long.

Disa did the intro vocals because she heard me trying to record monkey noises, and thought it sounded terrible. I threatened to leave them in unless she did a cutesy vocal intro, and she caved! VICTORY!

Lyrics:

Hey! It's the party song! Party's over here! Come on! <3

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would have liked to make this my first DP candidate, but this skirts the line unless you count the chords. I caught direct melody use at 0:02-0:06, 0:18-0:50, 1:53-2:14, and 2:24-2:56 out of 174 seconds of non-silence. This puts you at a safe 50.6% in my book, though I guess sticklers (read: Larry) may not give you the gaps in your melody, putting you below the line.

Fun song. I listened to the intro several times in a row to see if it matched the source melody and that vocal started to sound hyp-mo-tizing.

YES

• 2 weeks later...
J-hosted sub

Remixer name - OA

game: Donkey Kong Country 2

remix name: Party's Over Here

song: Cranky's Conga (and a little bit of cranky's cabin)

original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slcFSr4eMSo

remix: http://oceansend.com/5502/ocr/rock/Party%27s%20over%20here-OA.mp3

Comments:

The last track available on the DKC2 project, it's really cheerful and peppy, so it was time to do a party song. Acoustic and electric guitars, lot of synths and keyboards, and some layered percussion. In addition to DKC2, it uses the melody from cranky's theme from DKC as well. I wanted it to sound like a pop song you'd hear on the radio, so it has a fadeout guitar solo, and is 3 minutes long.

Disa did the intro vocals because she heard me trying to record monkey noises, and thought it sounded terrible. I threatened to leave them in unless she did a cutesy vocal intro, and she caved! VICTORY!

Lyrics:

Hey! It's the party song! Party's over here! Come on! <3

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would have liked to make this my first DP candidate, but this skirts the line unless you count the chords. I caught direct melody use at 0:02-0:06, 0:18-0:50, 1:53-2:14, and 2:24-2:56 out of 174 seconds of non-silence. This puts you at a safe 50.6% in my book, though I guess sticklers (read: Larry) may not give you the gaps in your melody, putting you below the line.

Fun song. I listened to the intro several times in a row to see if it matched the source melody and that vocal started to sound hyp-mo-tizing.

YES

Party's over here!

Jokes aside, this is a solid remix. The production is mostly clean and crisp. It gets a bit crowded at times with many instruments fighting for the same (often higher) frequencies. The instruments all sound good most of the time. The guitar can be a bit on the noisy side imo and there was a synth early on that was a little too detuned but nothing that brings it down.

Arrangement is sweet. Like Vinnie said, would've been DP if there was a bit more melody and a little bit less reliance on the chords but I'm a believer, this is sweet. Great stuff as usual mate! I really like your MIDI-chops style sequencing :3

Anyway, overall reall solid mix. I salute you fellow shtyjdgfgt.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Haha, awesome. PBS song, lol. Definitely.

Man, sounds very happy and fun and now I want to go run around the mall hugging strangers and jumping around like a general idiot :)

A couple minor production gripes, but they've been mentioned and nothing worth repeating or dealbreaking in that area. I cringed at :43 because you've got a direct note conflict there where the melody is in a minor key but your strummed guitar plays a major key--I don't see how that could have been intentional because it's not a good sound.

Heh, don't worry, though no one else has mentioned it, 1:40-1:41 was not lost on me.

All in all, this song is a really good example of a jamout to the progression of the source, but weaves seamlessly in and out of referencing the melody and free-styling over top the chords so that the reference remains wholly intact. And it also does a great job of taking a very short melodic riff and expanding it most effectively for a really enjoyable 3 minute track.

I nominate this track for the "Happiest ReMix of 2009" award.

I do wish you could fix that part at :43, but considering it lasts like a second, I can live with it.

OA-OK