OCR01136 - Star Control II "Property of the Crimson Corporation"

djpretzel

I'm really liking it, but I think those screams got really annoying.

If the screams weren't there though, it'd be much better. But it is good enough already. :D (Especially considering it's virtually impossible to get a remix posted on the site anymore. :lol:)

The Druuge deal in people, both as slaves and as fuel. When they need a boost, they just toss an expendable into the ship's reactor. This serves two purposes: it gives the ship a boost and the screams of the slave being taken apart on the molecular level tend to raise the efficiency level of the other slaves...

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Holy drums, I have to agree the samples on this are excellent. I'm digging the machine gun bass near the middle. Very unique for an otherwise ambient mix and I think it works pretty well.

The screaming and guitar really have to go, IMO. I can see how the screams would enhande the mix for some, but they just grate on me.

PS. love the drums

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Strange ambient source, but given Mark Vera's approach to Metroid in the past (being one of the first works I heard from him), I can understand the motives to adapt Star Control.

It does indeed manage to capture more of an original melody on top of the rather disjointed sounding source material; not saying that's a bad thing but it takes guts to show some expansion on it for something short of 5 minutes here.

The synth guitar, while not the best sound I've heard, could've easily benefitted with some modulation and envelope filtering to better realise itself; it's not too bad on its own though with the sustain and pitch bending in, so it's not too bad looking at it at a larger level./

I also have to mention that with the amount of intense double-bass kicks in there, some better kick drum realisation could've helped, most notably in the field of velocities, given the acoustic nature that the kit carries. That was easily transferred to the cymbals though, so it would've been good to hear it being carried over somewhere else.

If I had more of an attachment for the game, or if the source was a more memorable one to me, I might've been more at home with something like this, but as it is it's definitely one of Mark Vera's more different works witnessed. Sadly I'm not going to keep this due to its age really sticking out with the production concerns and lack of attachment to the arrangement, but I do indeed see some good potential for the sheer amount of Star Control love given towards the site. It can be seen as inspirational if one is seen as a one-man army for covering a game like this :)

• 3 weeks later...

Strangely, I actually liked this ReMix quite a lot. The dark, creepy atmosphere was pretty evident in this and I can see what he was aiming for at least. I have to agree that the synth guitar should have either been tweeked a bit or taken out completely, but I thought the screams worked here. In a dark torturous ReMix like this, screams just sounded right to me here, though I could easily understand why it's not for everyone. The percussion work is obviously the best part of the ReMix, and while it overall does show it's age, I enjoyed it. Without the guitar, or with a better sounding guitar, I think this would have been amazing.

On a side note, the video preview glitches up a little after the 3:40 mark. Just sayin'.

• 5 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01136 - Star Control II "Property of the Crimson Corporation"