OCR02097 - *YES* Donkey Kong Country 2 'How K. Rool Went Insane'

Palpable

Remixer Name: Ross Kmet

Email: rosskmet@gmail.com

Game Remixed: Donkey Kong Country 2 (SNES)

Song Remixed: Welcome to Crocodile Isle

Composer: Dave Wise

"How KRool Went Insane"

I jumped onto the DKC2 project kinda late, and this was the last sorta-good source tune left to remix. When I started working on it, I tried making it sound sort-of like a film score, but decided that it's Donkey Kong, and not a film score, so I just deviated into a childishly evil sort of tune. I honestly really don't know what to classify this as, or really what I was thinking when I made it, but I think it turned out pretty awesome.

Regards,

Ross Kmet

Oh, and This is for the Donkey Kong Country 2 project. If this is accepted, it would be really cool of you not to put it on the front page until that comes out. Thanx.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=dkq - "Welcome to Crocodile Isle" (dkq-04.spc)

I wasn't crazy about the modifications to the main melody - they felt a little contrived - but I was totally behind the instrumentation and the way the rest of the piece was adapted. It's a fun production, lots of details to sink your uh ears into. Something sounded off about the fullness at times, hard to put my finger on. Someone else might be able to describe this better, but I think this is reasonably over the bar on both ends anyway.

YES

Not to totally diss Vinnie, since music is subjective, but I thought the melodic adjustments were pretty awesome. Good balance and panning, and a lot of creative additions to the source. Percussion was chilled but had a good amount of tonal variation and some cool rhythmic phrases.

The sounds chosen fit very well together, and I was a big fan of the snare rolls and some of the incidental parts. Great textures throughout. I'm a fan.

yes

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man, this is slick hot and smooth. I am in love with the panning. I'm a sucker for good use of the stereo field, and this mix has it in spades.

Fantastic modifications all around. Almost sound to me like something Mustin would do. (That's a good thing).

Nothing much else to say. Listen to it and enjoy it, folks.

YES

Time to close this one out. I agree with the previous posters. Production is all kinds of top-notch, good use of stereo field and interesting instrumentation. The mixing sometimes felt a bit unbalanced (mainly the bass being strong and lead being weak) but that's minor. The arrangement is cool with great backing. Overall a groovin' track full of good writing. Solid.

YES