Palpable

Nutritious

Justin Medford

NutritiousMultimedia@gmail.com

http://NutritiousMultimedia.googlepages.com

Donkey Kong Country 2

School House Harmony

This is a project song.

I'm not sure how to classify this one. It was an experiment to try and make a sort of down-tempo electronic sound from one of the two remaining unclaimed tracks on the project. I'm still not convinced it's that great, but Bahamut told me to sub it :P.

-Justin

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=dkq - "School House Harmony" (dkq-35.spc)

Not what I would expect from the source or from Nutritious. This is a slightly hard electronic take on the song with some of the orchestral elements that Justin tends to favor. There was one big issue with it: the snare! It's too loud, sounds low-quality, tone really sticks out. I imagine if I have a problem with it, Larry will really have a problem with it, but we'll see. The mixing also sounded low-focused and a little crowded, and I'm not sure whether together this is a big enough deal for me to ask you to resub. I'll sleep on it.

• 3 weeks later...

m-m-m-MONSTER (triple) POST!

Interesting idea to reduce the speed on this one, but I think it paid off, I am a strong proponent of manic arrangements, and the original can definitely qualify as manic, but it goes by so fast, you can't appreciate as well that there is a cool melody in there. You definitely get a lot of milage off of the A section, which is fine by me, since it's so varied.

Even after the revision, the snare seems a little loud, but definitely not lethal. The sound is unorthodox, but i can dig it. It reminds me of some Thriller-era MJ. Pretty cool. :)

There's plenty o' source, the arrangement is good (and a cool new style for you), and the production works now as well.

yes

Man, I don't know what it is about Justin's production but the snare (and to a lesser extent, the lead) sound boosted in a frequency range that I find really irritating! It's frustrating because I really like the arrangement and the rest of the song, but I just find the song difficult to listen to. I feel like this might be some sort of personal thing that others aren't hearing or just not to the same extent - am I crazy?

Man, I like what I'm hearing! Very goovy arrangement, in a style that I wouldn't expect right off from Justin. I really like the synths. There does seem to be a lot of high-end on this one, but it's nothing terminal, and it's certainly not the first mix to bear a lot of strong upper frequencies.

This one went in a totally different direction than the source for sure, which is quite a bit more percussive, light, and uh, bouncy? Instead this one sound more resolute. Sounds kind of Commander Keen-ish, as well.

Well, I dig the arrangement, and the production is cool. I didn't hear the original version, but I thought the snare sounded fine in the newer one. I'm also a fan of the lush string breakdown at 2:02, I thought it added some nice contrast to the piece.

Always glad to hear subs from Justin, and always glad to hear subs that show that an artist can be successfully diverse.

YES

Creative take on the original, I like the things you've done with it. I didn't really like the sound of that lead synth, but that doesn't affect the decision at all. It's really in my face, though, and it starts eating up the rest of the track at the end. That and the snare make this feel unbalanced, though production is otherwise pretty solid.

I'm kind of on the fence about sending this back for some balancing tweaks, but the arrangement is pretty cool, and the issues aren't distractingly problematic, so I'll go with a pass.

YES

Wow, the intro really grabbed me. This is definitely my kinda ReMix! I have to say that Justin is sounding more and more pro with every mix he submits. I'm waiting for him to show up with some kind of random genre like Klezmer or didgeridoo ensemble and blow us away with that too. Anyway, more on topic, this is simply a great mix overall. Slick production and creative arrangement. It reminds me of the electronic artist Hybrid in terms of harmonies and texture (nu-skool breaks/synths + orchestra) which is a very good thing. I only wish there were more.

YES