OCR02377 - *YES* SaGa Frontier 2 'Shimmering'

Palpable

In the event this track passes the panel, please flag it as a Project track for the Unsung Heroes project

Remixer name - OA

game: Saga Frontier 2

composer: Masashi Hamauzu

remix name: Shimmering

song: rosenkranz

Comments:

I've always liked this source track, with it's super simple pastoral melody, and it's always evoked a sun and sky vibe to me, and I tried to expand on that, but make it a little bit more dancable.

Some kind of subtle new experiments on this one for me, one being a more prominent acoustic guitar lead that trades off with the synth, and then an OA-only choir.

I've head people say that a musician's output reflects their personality, and I think at least in this case, this song is a pretty good indicator of how I am feeling right now, mid-2009. :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This gives me warm fuzzies. The source tune is very pleasant, and OA has given us an as-pleasant synth-pop tune, with some acoustic guitar that really makes this unique. I really enjoyed the arrangement, and I think it's good enough to pass.

But I should mention there were some parts I thought could have been improved. The soundscape in the verses was a little empty - some sustained piano or guitar chords would have been great there. The snare rolls sounded limp, and I think a more precise timing of the hi-hat in the intro would have gotten it off to a stronger start. Piddly stuff for the most part, I was happy with this.

YES

• 4 weeks later...

Andrew's work by default tends to inspire warm fuzzies, I think it's just his go-to style :)

Let's see:

Obvious source usage: check

Clean production: check

Notable reinterpretation: check

BONUS:

High energy: check

Warm fuzzies: check

beautiful choir vox: check (2:30) literally gave me chills.

Is it a contradiction to experience warm fuzzies and chills at the same time? Is that like dividing by zero? Because it just happened.

Anyway, loved the mix. The only thing I might have done differently if I were Andrew would have been to change up the lead synth at least once. But on the other hand, that type of clean, creamy lead synth is one of my favorite lead timbres. So I really didn't mind.

Solid.

AYE