OC ReMix Design Revision Notes & Feedback

djpretzel

I don't know if this was brought up yet or not, but besides all the changes that have been made, I noticed something that might be something to consider down-the-road. (This was also something that could have applied before the redesign, but since you're taking feedback, here is as good a place as any to pitch it)

For people involved in projects or administration, the tags for their involvement are particularly long. If someone directs/co-directs/co-assistant directs/etc. more than two or three projects, that line is going to go past the row end and wrap around (?). Maybe something like a badge system can be implemented: a badge with an image associated with the project or role, rollover text indicating the association, and it is also a link to the project thread/site. It could possibly save a good chunk of real-estate, and would be less text to crowd the eyes. Just a suggestion!

Edit: Also, really liking the redesign. Probably should have mentioned that, heh.

to be honest, I do miss the alphabetical navigation. Sure, search is far more efficient, but I'd still think it's cool to have the alpha as an option. I usually used it to go directly to remixer or game pages, it was fairly quick. the one thing that was also cool is that I always ended up stumbling across something cool I didn't notice before, be it a 'new' game or artist I should or have been meaning to check out.

I like the badge idea. They could be roughly 20x20 pixels and be lined up on the same row as the username rather than below it.

Speaking of which, the little blob indicating whether you're online or not is horribly out of line with the username. It would be much nicer looking if it was aligned (moved up 10 pixels or so). Another idea would be to have the username color indicate online status instead, but most users would probably find that rather confusing.

And, since there's been no change since last time I brought it up, I might as well remind you that the username is 1 pixel too far to the right compared to the rows below it.

After using it a while and after the addition of the search bar, I like it. It looks more intuitive (not that I would ever know, already being so used to the site) and balanced.

I'm always a fan of simpler color schemes, but since the main fields of the home page are always going to have lots of color, maybe injecting some color in the headphone/controller logo area would balance things out a bit more.

Thanks for all your work, djp.

search bar >> alpha navigation. Plus the mascots hovering over the right side of it looks pretty slick.

Still wondering about that odd link on the Workshop page though. Is it supposed to be like that?

Fixed. Just for you :nicework:

I agree that the search bar looks pretty good as is. I think the alpha nav should be in the music pop-up screen instead of "List all songs alphabetically".

I'll give that some thought, could work nicely. Had already considered it but needed to do revised quicksearch first.

New search bar looks great, but can it be done so there's two more options: all (default) and forums? The former just so you can just click and type what you're looking for.

...and/or...

Have each of the sections show up in search. If you couldn't find a game by the name "Samus", you see artists, mixes, albums, and forum posts where the search word appears.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm too lazy to check if this was mentioned already, but in all of the dropdown menus that have a search field, those search fields already contain text like "search games..." and it's hugely annoying how that text stays unless you manually remove it, i.e. it doesn't delete itself when you click on the field to type something. The "search games..." field next to/behind the mascot on the top right corner of the screen, however, works like it should.

Also, it would be nice if, once you've started typing something into any of these dropdown menu fields, you need to *click* to get to another menu, rather than just by mouse-overing. As it is now, you can be typing something in the "people" search field and simultaneously move the mouse (accidentally or not) over the word "music", thereby loading the "music" menu instead, which you don't likely want to do since you're typing something in the "people" search field.

The menu is getting to be more and more agreeable. Keep up the good work.

Thank you.