OCRA-0015 - Xenogears: Humans + Gears

avaris

dude i'm so sorry! i'll stop mixing now. lame originality is seriously an issue on the internet - i just want to hear the same shit that's been around for eight hundred years...none of these non-fitting chords.

now get off my porch.

I didn't mean stop making Remixes, I meant stop doing it wrong..If you're trying to make a good remix at least hear the original one first.. secondly take a specific genre you like to listen to and you know what the samples you need to use for your mix.. then listen carefully what is the right chords at the right order.. that is the least I can give you..

If you wanna hear how to make a good remix listen to this!

http://remix.kwed.org/download.php/1967/Lagerfeldt%20-%20Dutch%20Breeze%20-%20Robocop%203%20%28Progressive%20Uplift%29.mp3

I didn't mean stop making Remixes, I meant stop doing it wrong..If you're trying to make a good remix at least hear the original one first.. secondly take a specific genre you like to listen to and you know what the samples you need to use for your mix.. then listen carefully what is the right chords at the right order.. that is the least I can give you..

If you wanna hear how to make a good remix listen to this!

http://remix.kwed.org/download.php/1967/Lagerfeldt%20-%20Dutch%20Breeze%20-%20Robocop%203%20%28Progressive%20Uplift%29.mp3

The moment you tell anyone that what they're making in a creative fashion is "wrong", you've lost all credibility to your judgement. There is no right or wrong, proper or improper, or any of that. You're looking at this from a perspective that your opinion is fact, that what you're looking for in a remix is "right". Sorry, that's not how music works.

You're looking at remixes as if they were systematic upgrades to sound quality, not as interpretive arrangement. Therefore, you could basically plug the midis into a program and upgrade them without the human interaction. Not what we were going for here. No one's forcing you to listen to this, nor to like it, and it's offered for free regardless. Any objections founded on an idiotic principle such as "right remixing" are thrown out the window. The project coordinators are there to check for appropriate usage of the source, and the OCR staff does make sure albums submitted are up to at least some of the standards, so there's always a mix of the original as well as the arranger in there. Don't like it, don't listen.

*breaks out his guitar for a classic rock version of the Final Fantasy Prelude track with ALL THE WRONG CHORDS*

The moment you tell anyone that what they're making in a creative fashion is "wrong", you've lost all credibility to your judgement. There is no right or wrong, proper or improper, or any of that. You're looking at this from a perspective that your opinion is fact, that what you're looking for in a remix is "right". Sorry, that's not how music works.

You're looking at remixes as if they were systematic upgrades to sound quality, not as interpretive arrangement. Therefore, you could basically plug the midis into a program and upgrade them without the human interaction. Not what we were going for here. No one's forcing you to listen to this, nor to like it, and it's offered for free regardless. Any objections founded on an idiotic principle such as "right remixing" are thrown out the window. The project coordinators are there to check for appropriate usage of the source, and the OCR staff does make sure albums submitted are up to at least some of the standards, so there's always a mix of the original as well as the arranger in there. Don't like it, don't listen.

*breaks out his guitar for a classic rock version of the Final Fantasy Prelude track with ALL THE WRONG CHORDS*

Have you ever heard the Black Mages, Battle scene II.. It's almost unrecognizable but it sounds great.. try achieving that.. the whole point of remixes is to make it sound better.. you can't just take a complete master piece and put you unpleasant originality to it.. you can add solos or other stuff that FITS!!! you got the whole remix stuff so much wrong.. you nor I have the rights to change the melody of the original.. I you want to put your originality, make your own song, with out riding on the franchise..

if you treat review like that and making excuses and telling me not to listen to it, you just suck..

the whole point of remixes is to make it sound better.. you can't just take a complete master piece and put you unpleasant originality to it.. you can add solos or other stuff that FITS!!! you got the whole remix stuff so much wrong.. you nor I have the rights to change the melody of the original.. I you want to put your originality, make your own song, with out riding on the franchise..

if you treat review like that and making excuses and telling me not to listen to it, you just suck..

The point of ReMixing/arrangement is for artists to express themselves and their appreciation for VGM. Not to "make it sound better". We all have the "rights" to interpret things as we hear them. You seem to object to the entire concept of this website, in which case commenting on this album specifically makes little to no sense. If you didn't like it, you didn't like it, and that's fine. Just say that.

Any further posts saying we "suck" and missing the point as completely as you seem to be will be interpreted as trolling and treated accordingly.

Have you ever heard the Black Mages, Battle scene II.. It's almost unrecognizable but it sounds great.. try achieving that.. the whole point of remixes is to make it sound better.. you can't just take a complete master piece and put you unpleasant originality to it.. you can add solos or other stuff that FITS!!! you got the whole remix stuff so much wrong.. you nor I have the rights to change the melody of the original.. I you want to put your originality, make your own song, with out riding on the franchise..

I'm sorry, but you're being an idiot here. Who the hell are you to tell other creative artists what the right and wrong way to go about their art is?

Take a look at Pachelbel's Ganon. Chords are different. Hell, the melody is even different. Yet is 1) recognizable as Zelda's lullabye, and 2) Freaking awesome.

Use of source? Check. The artist's own added flair and creativity? Check. Awesome to listen to? Check.

This, my friend, is what we call a "ReMix."

Do you really think you are smarter than the original composer? only the original composer can add/remove the melody!

do you really think Mitsuda listened to it? you guys just pathetic.. As if, then where is Nobuo's response? ohhh the're none!

you can express you're "art" by making original songs but no one would even listen to it if there no great title behind it, right.. that's why I claim you suck!! you just using the name for spreading your "art". If you'd take money for this, that would be just ridiculous..

here is a great example how to make a proper remix:

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01242/

you can learn something from him..

i think you're just jelous of are remixing abilitys, man.

Do you really think you are smarter than the original composer? only the original composer can add/remove the melody!

seriously now, this is possibly the stupidest comment i've ever heard in regards to the art of composition. do you KNOW what an arrangement is?

someone ban this damn troll. honestly, no one's this stupid - this has to be an alt.

ps: what does money have to do with anything? do you see prices per download here? that's so totally off the wall, i don't even know what to say.

pps: you edited your post to include one of my favorite remixes - i agree! that's a fantastic example of a remix. that is not the ONLY way to remix, though. that's like saying that photorealistic paintings on canvas with oil paints are the only real forms of artwork. where does impressionism go then? what about stuff like the sistine chapel? that's not photorealistic, but it's possibly one of the greatest forms of artwork in western culture. by your definition, that's actually a TRAVESTY because the guy who created the images portrayed in that work (aka jesus) didn't make it. ridiculous!

Nice ban.

Anyway, on topic, nobody has the right to judge what is the right or wrong way to remix music. It's up to the individual artist to decide how they're going to interpret what they're remixing. If someone like this comes along and doesn't like it, obviously they've got a serious problem with creativity, or they just like to troll.

Either way, nice ban.

If you claim that the original composer had it right and it shouldn't be altered in any way, but then said composer says he likes how someone remixed it... does that make gohito's head explode, or cave-in?

Oh wait, he's banned. I guess he can't tell us.

So, not having any real experience with Xenogears, I must admit I'm coming into this album with no idea what to expect.

I like the strumming guitar in Avaris and Level 99's "Quickening". It's relaxing and peaceful, kind of like something from a well produced anime soundtrack. I can see a quite village, sunny days with perfect clouds, and someone sleeping on the side of a hill overlooking the houses below.

Vampire Hunter Dan's "Ship of Emotion" reminds me of some of the Yoko Kanno stuff from Brain Powerd and Escaflowne. I love Escaflowne's music.

CHIPP Damage's "Shit on Citan" scares the hell out of me.

Woot! Now we just to hear from Uematsu on the FFIV and FFVII albums...

No clue about FFIV, but supposedly he saw a VotL shirt at a signing thing, pointed at it and said "That's awesome!"

I'll just say this - if there wasn't originality, then there would be no video game music by people like Uematsu or Mitsuda. Originality drives the creation of music like this, not conservatism.

do you really think Mitsuda listened to it? you guys just pathetic.. As if, then where is Nobuo's response? ohhh the're none!

you can express you're "art" by making original songs but no one would even listen to it if there no great title behind it, right.. that's why I claim you suck!! you just using the name for spreading your "art". If you'd take money for this, that would be just ridiculous..

here is a great example how to make a proper remix:

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01242/

you can learn something from him..

I'm not mad as much as amused, because this guy doesn't know anything about our history. :lol:

1. Yes, I believe Mitsuda has listened to the album. We have a mutual friend. Even if not this particular work, he's heard our community's music. We've been around for quite a while.

2. We don't need any original composer's approval to justify interpretation.

3. We have musicians in this community who make their living writing original music.

4. We've had a AAA game publisher contract our musicians for music to a huge franchise, and obtained excellent reviews.

5. Thanks for linking to a Donkey Kong Country ReMix by one of the staffers involved in the music selection process here.

6. Thanks again for linking to a Donkey Kong Country ReMix. The original composer is a fan of OC ReMix and participating in our next album with fellow game composers who are also appreciative of what OC ReMix is doing.

Didn't I tell you we win? We really win. :lol:

*waits anticipatorily for this in the wip forum*

Woot! Now we just to hear from Uematsu on the FFIV and FFVII albums...

...and eventually to-be FFIX, FFX, and FFVI* albums...

SLAM SHUFFLE?! Frickin SLAM SHUFFLE!

Okay I never posted in here so I'm going to start now.

I will confess that this is my FAVORITE OCR project album. Sorry FFIV and FFVII. =P And btw, I never did play Xenogears so I don't know the soundtrack as well as I do with FF. I do plan on playing Xenogears in the near future and hopefully I get to express my experience afterwards. This project was clearly about the music and not about fame. Amazing job everybody.

Oh and whoever talks bad about Avaris and his remixing, I'm gonna punch them in the face. :lmassoff:

No. Seriously. I will.

:nicework:

This album was amazing. I suppose I shouldn't expect less when the source tunes are by Yasunori Mitsuda. But there are probably more tracks on this project that I think are really great than on almost any other OCR album yet. However, I expect Serious Monkey Business to beat it *crosses fingers*

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...