OCR02016 - *YES* Rygar 'Rygar's Anthem'

Liontamer

Remixer: Vurez

Game: Rygar

Tracks arranged: Sueru Mountain & Gran Mountain

Remix Title: Rygar's Anthem

This is part of a NES remix album that I'm releasing. It's a series of tracks that I had worked on from 2005-2008 that I never finished. I request that if this gets accepted, can you guys hold it until the release of the album?

This particular song is done in the style I'm probably most known for. The small vocal section and whistling were recorded by me. The rest is samples.

link:

---------------------------------------------------------------

A bit too dry for my tastes, and I would have loved to have heard the background fleshed out more. The drumwork was well written, but sounded lonely. Though it lacks polish and sounds like it's not finished as implied in the sub letter, the arrangement is fun, creative and interpretive. Squeaking by, but the overall execution coupled with the strong arrangement is good enough to git-r-done.

Go forward. [/Cenk Uygur]

YES

Gotta love this arrangement, full of fun surprises. That vocal section was so jaunty! Really excellent work tackling my favorite song from the game (track 2).

I've got two criticisms. The brass in the intro sounds totally unrealistic, which didn't get things off to a good start. The attacks are weak, and the legato sequencing just sounds weird, it sounds almost like strings. When the drums kick in, it gets a whole lot better. The second issue, a lesser concern, is that the background is empty some of the time. I think there should have been some tweaking to the reverb levels, or maybe the EQ of the bass and drums to fill that void, but I can't say it affected my appreciation of the song much.

On the back of a strong arrangement, I guess I am willing to overlook the intro. Here's hoping Vurez does some cleanup in the final version, I would love to see the intro match the strength of the rest.

YES

The into brass was way too upfront, and seemed pasted on to the beginning of the track; i'm not sure if the track really even needs it at all. I started the track a few times right after the fanfare, and I felt that it made a better song.

Once everything gets going, it's pretty cool, though occasionally, some instruments get overexposed, and the sample quality isn't especially rockin. Specifically the bass, but for the most part it gels well. Arrangement was fun and varied, and the guitar in some sections was exceptionally well sequenced. Flute sounded good too, nice work there.

Vocal section was fun and somehow fit. I can dig it.

Production was a style that we don't hear often, but was effective. Some sections did seem a bit empty, but it just gave things room to build on.

So overall a strong arrangement and overall sequencing job with a few minor production nitpicks, but a super weak intro? I'm cool with this passing.

yes

I have to agree with OA that the track would've sounded a bit stronger overall without the intro but I'm willing to overlook that. Why? Well because the rest is pretty damn cool. The arrangement is great and there's definitely many cool ideas floating around. Most of the sounds sound good even though it all sounds very, VERY sequenced. I, like Larry, wish there was a little more meat in the mix as it gets a bit empty at times.

This was really shining when it came to arrangement, less so when it came to production. However I think the arrangement just about weighs that up so I'm going with my gut here.

YES(borderline)

• 4 months later...