OCR01928 - Castlevania II "The Solace of the Daylight"

djpretzel

My review got killed because I waited too long :(

Let's see what I remember writing....

I'm not really too familiar with the source (gasp, I know), but here and there I can recognize a couple parts. Overall things stand out on their own, so even without a connection to the source this has some fun things going for it. Overall the unique set of sounds makes this stand out, and the vibe of the piece is really refreshing. Loving the vibraphone solo (could be just a smidge louder though).

The six note melody starting around 1:98 carries on just a bit too long. It's nearly a minute before it moves on. Things change up as this is going on, but I think it could have moved on a bit earlier.

A nice listen, and worth pickin up, along with the rest of the album.

The first time I heard this I didn't really like it, but I must have just been in a funk because now I think it is great! The source material is already one of my favorites, but as with your other tracks on this album, the take is so original and well produced that I can't help but dig it.

Congrats on another fantastic remix :) .

• 4 weeks later...

I can't believe I haven't given this a listen yet. >>;

I can definitely see why people have pointed out the chosen instruments. It's not something I would have expected, especially for a Castlevania song. But I like that it somehow *works*. I really enjoyed the beginning of this piece - the organs are fabu.

The first half of this is definitely my favorite half, while the second half, particularly the last third or so, just kinda drags on for me. I feel the whole mood of it just shifted to being a little *too* 'chill'. The beginning was interesting while the ending felt boring, and the very end of the song didn't make sense to me at all. I would have liked if some of the energy from the beginning carried on for a bit longer than it did. As is, it sort of makes this piece ho-hum for me.

While not for me, people who are into music of the chill out kind may very well dig this. And anyone who is looking for unique takes on classic Castlevania tunes should definitely give it a chance.

I really dig the organ intro, and the groove it leads into. In fact, I wish that organ would reappear...

The first piano solo is neat, but my interest wanes as I wait for it to take a specific direction again, or to return to more of the daylight town theme. DA mentioned the melody repetition but I think it wasn't that bad - variation would have been nice, but it works for me. What doesn't work for me is, again, it goes off into a solo that seems so distant from the source.

Overall, it's a bit repetitive, funky, soloy, but... the solos and original writing feel disconnected from the source, and kind of ramble. I have a hard time keeping this piece in the center of my attention as I listen to it.

This is one of my favorite vg tunes.

This obviously sounds real good and I think the instrumentation is great. I have no complaints about the style either. I think the arrangement is kind of lazy though. The first phrase of the melody is repeated way way too often, especially in the second section. It's just the same phrase over and over with some soloing interspersed. It gets really tiring and makes the mix feel kinda empty and unfinished, like Josh was on autopilot. After some cool things going on in the first couple parts of the mix, it kind of floats into directionlessness for too long without accomplishing anything. These ideas have a lot of potential and I know Josh is perfectly capable of pushing them lot farther too, which is what makes it so disappointing.

The opening notes come on a little sharp, especially when I've got the volume cranked up. Intro aside, this one develops a funky groove with some great instrument choices. The piano chords (and the piano playing in general) in the background are definitely a highlight for me, they're very commanding and help pace the song well.

All your tracks from the album have a great level of respect for the source tunes, and this one's no exception, but I love how you're able to balance being true to the original while mixing your own flair in both obvious and more subtle ways. The vibraphone (or marimba?) solo at the end is definitely my favorite moment on the whole Sonata of the Damned album, it sounds very humanized and just rocks. There's no other way to put it.

Classic Joshua Morse here, this one and the album as a whole should not be missed :-)

I like the intro; it lets you know you that its definitely Castlevania that you're listening to, and it's highly reminiscent of Schroeder from Peanuts playing his toy piano as an organ.

Also, I can here the Bossa Nova influences in here. I can't quite imagine this being played live, but it's got a wonderful groove.

SotD is a wonderful jazz album and this is probably my favorite piece from it.

I'm not sure what exactly I walked into when this song got hold of my imagination, but I can sure say it made me happy.

This sounds extremely tight. The organ threw me for a bit, admittedly (I'm used to church organs), but when the clarinet came in, I was like, "Yeah, funky jazz... wait, what the heck?" In a good way, I assure you. Anyways, this made me dance, relax, and just all-around-wonder... not sure how else I can describe it. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the issues I had with this mix (that I noted in the album review thread):

- the bleeding sounds obviously sound less piercing when this is played through speakers rather than headphones

- I still think the organ intro feels out of place, but I do think the main vibe is classy

As for the effects and percussion sprinkled throughout: yum.

• 2 years later...

Jazzy-latin with an organ intro. Pretty rad. When you need to kick back and get your tropics on, you call Morse and this ReMix is one of examples why. I never heard the original, so going off of this, I really enjoyed the instrumentation used, especially the solo at the end.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01928 - Castlevania II "The Solace of the Daylight"