OCR01967 - *YES* Romancing SaGa 3 'Romancing the Bossa'

Palpable

Gents,

So, meeting up with djp and Larry has reignited my desire to be a part of this site. So I'm going to put myself through the humiliation of the judges panel again, in hopes of some good feedback and maybe a NO RESUBMIT.

I wrote this piece for a Bad Dudes album based on boss battles. I found it via aimlessly searching the vgmusic.com page. The melody worked really nicely for me .. it was something that wasn't just shredder type boss music -- something I could enjoy humming. For the actual album, Mustin redid a lot of the samples as well as drums and some flute notes. Although I enjoyed what he did, I still like what I had originally a whole lot more.

Now for the boring stuff:

Remixer name: bladiator

email address: bladiator@juno.com

UserID: 6648 (not impressive)

Game arranged: Romancing SaGa 3 (Japan)

Name of song: Boss (? That's all it says)

System: SNES

Song link: http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/snes/rsg3boss.mid

My remix: http://bladiator.vgpiano.com/music/bladiator_romancing_the_bossa.mp3

Comments: I really like the energy I created with this one. I usually "like" my remixes, but this one just really gets me toe-tapping. Like many of my remixes, I start with a melancholy piano rendition of the theme and then lead into the rest, so I hope you're not tired of that stuff. Also, Golden Ivories of Gaia is actually over 8 meg so I'll have to come up with a different way of submitting it.

~Karl

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=rs3 - Battle 2 (rs3-116.spc)

Toe-tapping, indeed. Sounded like a direct post up until other instruments were added in. A few of the lesser-used drum samples stuck out, sometimes the strings as well, but nothing major, IMO. The soundscape also could have been more filled out in the 1:19 section, but on the back of an excellent, fun arrangement and a great piano performance, sounded like a pass to me. Great seeing new stuff from Karl!

YES

I love this track - I often try to play it by ear since it's just such an awesome take on the source! GREAT performance, great piano recording, great rhythms, excellent interpretation. My only complaint is that the flute sample doesn't sound so hot, and the transition to the fast section is definitely abrupt. However these issues aren't nearly enough to bring this below our bar. Awesome stuff, Blad!

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty awesome work. I agree that the mixing is off at 1:45; that percussion should be more supportive and less dominant. I really do think it brings down the mix's quality notably. Probably could have used a bit nicer string ensemble patch there at the end as well.

Otherwise, piano is awesome, and the arrangement in general sounded hawt. I just wish the perc had been quieter. I agree that were it not for the mix, this would have/should have just been a direct post.

YES