OCR01936 - Aquaria "Minibadass"

djpretzel

Definitely agreeing that this track could easily stand on it's own, not being familiar with the source. I like the chip-electronica feel overall, it works very well with the melody lines throughout. Another good thing is that the track really is just the right length. Lately it feels like so many people are working to push tracks to their limit, when it would be better to let the track take it's own space and leave it at that. Last agreeance with above posts, but the fade-out really works here.

Overall I feel like the volume levels are a little off. I wish the main lines had been brought up a little more, right now they're competing a little too much with the bass for the spotlight, when the bass should be in a more supportive role here. I would be rocking that much more if so.

Overall, great track, certainly worth a listen even if you don't know the game exists (like me).

Completely intense arpeggios here, I tried to keep up, but just couldn't maintain the endurance for the entire thing. Awesome syncopation in some sections where the bass is completely rocking out. I guess that could be said for the entire track the entire time, where there are brief moments to take a rest during transitions, before jumping back into the fray.

Awesome stuff here, definitely recommended.

When I saw that there was an Aquaria ReMix, I thought, "About bloody time!" And you picked one of my favourite tracks from the game. Makes me want to kill some giant sea creature (maybe a giant enemy crab?)

Ubik did a track based on Aquaria, too, but it was more an original track inspired by the music in the game. I think it's called "Emerge", if you can find it. It's also really neat.

Not familiar with the source, but this sounds pretty cool - the style has a nice flair to it, with the electronic craziness with smooth melodic synths driving it. In fact, this reminds me of the song in the new TMNT: Reshelled for the train level with the instrumentation, although this takes a more frentic approach.

Definitely a nice change of pace, as we don't see many mixes like this these days.

Yes! Awesome! The original track was my favorite pump-up track from Aquaria, and this remix gets the blood going even faster without overdoing it. I also love the play on the original track name as displayed by the in-game jukebox: "Miniboss" =D

Would love to see yet more Aquaria remixes!

My brother repeatedly tells me all about how this "rips off" Muse whenever he hears me playing it (which is often.) I don't know how full-of-crap he is, but I figured I'd throw that out there :-P

Really killer bass, drums are well-done, and the arpeggiated synths are great... all of these elements are very commanding and really work together to completely blow the listener's face off, so to speak :-P I had no idea Danny B did this kind of music but after hearing this, I'm glad he did!

Mmmm.... Techno.... Feels good and echo-y like the boss battle is happening in a cave with really good accoustics.

I can't help shake the feeling that there's some Castlevania organ influence in here. Belmont techno maybe? LoL

Other than my usual issues (the sound is too "narrow" & the soundscape isn't varied enough to hold my attention, so this mix doesn't do a whole lot for me), this is by no means a bad mix.

I can't really pick out anything else that could be a potential issue, so I'd give it at least some recommendation to listen to. Check it out for yourself.

Nice crunchy leads. Nice crunchy bass. To be honest, it took some time for the track to grow on me but I definitely feel nice fast-paced synth-rock going on here.

I very much liked the bass, as well as the background layering - the mids play very nicely with the higher frequency lead. The synth sounds are very good and I really love the melodies.

I love the breakdown at about 1:20, highlighting the pads and the atmosphere.

My only criticism is the relative lack of dynamic range of the leads and the song in general - it basically starts up and plays at mostly one volume, with the exception of the breakdown and the fade-out ending.

Good work.

• 2 years later...

The track took a listen or two to really grow on me, but once I'd really listened to it I fell in love with it - and with the source, once I'd taken a listen to it. In fact, I loved this track so much - and the original music of Aquaria, once I listened to it - that I went and got the free demo and played it, and then got the game. So that's something.

But yeah. It's a badass piece of music, and definitely worth a few listens to - I really can't find anything wrong with it. :-)

• 4 months later...

Man, lots of great energy, which is really fitting for what the ReMix is of. The beat is hot and I love the mix of semi-chip-fi and electronica. I don't think I've heard another ReMix exactly like this in sound, and unique is almost always good, so A+ here. Minibadass indeed.

• 2 years later...

Minbadass? Megabadass! Super funky, with a lot of tension and energy, this is easily one of my favorite ReMixes. It definetily has recognizable style of Mr. Baranowsky, it has a lot of similiarities with some of Super Meat Boy tunes, which was released a year later. I especially love the section at 1:43. Mean, funky, but very good!

• 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01936 - Aquaria "Minibadass"