The OverClocked Plaid Muffins - Kirby Super Star - Ska Buffet - ACCEPTED!

Level 99

Latest WIP, with shitty vocal performance on my part, with most of the proposed brass in MIDI thanks to PR. This is sounding really sexy:

WIP4

Hopefully get the sheet music out soon, and a bassless version for DBS to do his thing. Considering changing up singers but I want to hear one more rendition from cyril and one from the alternative who's being considered.

Feedback?

It's a good thing I wasn't wearing pants when I listened to this! Man, it's badass now, but when we put some live horns up in there...goddamn.

Also, update: I've got my shiny new mike and interface...only to find out that it didn't come with a mike cable :razz: But I've got one on the way, so I'll be good to go in no time!

GOOD NEWS EVERYBODY! Parts have been distributed to folks who need them. I'm going to do some final tweeking to the drums and mix, and eagerly await the live parts to roll in. MAJOR MAJOR thanks to PR for doing the arrangement and sheet music and everything. Also, I'm currently in the process of figuring out the deal for vocals, but more on that later. Good luck to those recording their parts, and please remember to not process your recordings (all of that stuff will be done by myself/Avaris/PR).

GOOD NEWS EVERYBODY! Parts have been distributed to folks who need them. I'm going to do some final tweeking to the drums and mix, and eagerly await the live parts to roll in. MAJOR MAJOR thanks to PR for doing the arrangement and sheet music and everything. Also, I'm currently in the process of figuring out the deal for vocals, but more on that later. Good luck to those recording their parts, and please remember to not process your recordings (all of that stuff will be done by myself/Avaris/PR).

Good news indeed! I love even the WIP - can't wait for the finished product! This is a shit-ton of imagination, right here. Lyrics are priceless, too. Judges better take this - I'm stoked for this! I've always loved the Kirby soundtrack - just lettin' you know I can't wait.

I just have one question: How necessary is the cursing in the lyrics? Its the only thing that I think detracts from the mix. :sad:

I've been mulling over this myself, actually. I wrote them that way since Kirby's not pulling any punches in his expression of lust for food. The way the lyrics flow in some places actually semi-depends on the syllables of the vulgar language. Instead of going back to re-write it, there may be two versions: a "radio friendly" one with some form of sound effect censoring of the curse words, and one that's explicit. That gives the best of both worlds. If that were the case, whenever this is submitted to OCR or whatever, I'll request that the clean version be the one hosted and the explicit version be linked to in the mix info/summary. As of right now, though, there hasn't been a decision made.

All your guys' freakin' compliments are pushing this farther and farther! You all rock.

I heard the latest WIP. Interesting take on the theme. A couple of critiques:

1) Intro is a bit too long in my opinion. Vocals should come in sooner.

2) Cyril has some nice punk/ska pipes. Reminds me of Billy Talent's lead singer. Lyrics are hilarious. I noticed that you mentioned difficulty with the vocals but I'm going to critique anyway: they're a bit muffled. Some parts need multi-layered vocal harmonies as well.

3) The instrumental at minute 2 needs to include some sort of guitar solo with the trumpets and sax.

Other than those, it's sounding good so far. Looking forward to more developments with this one. You should let LuIzA give it a listen since she's the ska expert around here. Not sure if she has the time to join in the fun though.

I heard the latest WIP. Interesting take on the theme. A couple of critiques:

1) Intro is a bit too long in my opinion. Vocals should come in sooner.

2) Cyril has some nice punk/ska pipes. Reminds me of Billy Talent's lead singer. Lyrics are hilarious. I noticed that you mentioned difficulty with the vocals but I'm going to critique anyway: they're a bit muffled. Some parts need multi-layered vocal harmonies as well.

3) The instrumental at minute 2 needs to include some sort of guitar solo with the trumpets and sax.

Other than those, it's sounding good so far. Looking forward to more developments with this one. You should let LuIzA give it a listen since she's the ska expert around here. Not sure if she has the time to join in the fun though.

Hey, well, thanks for the listen, first-off. I'll try to respond to the critiques:

1) The original version went right into the lyrics and had a much shorter brass section in the middle. The song felt too short at the time, which is where PR wanted to work out a longer intro to showcase the brass and go over some of the main Kirby bits a little more before vocals come in. While the lyrics and vocals carry the melody during a good chunk of the parts, the brass really is going to be the star here.

2) If you're listening to the latest WIP, then the vocals you heard were actually done by me. I have Cyril's latest vocal take and there were a few issues with it that prompted me to record my own take for his reference, and in turn, reference for the rest of the people who are playing/possibly singing. Vocal harmonies are planned and the muffled stuff will not be in the final. Glad you like the lyrics!

3) Again, brass is the star. I might try to wank out something but it's 99% going to sound forced and out of place so don't get your hopes up. :nicework:

4) Funny story about lulza: She was one of the first people I showed this to when I made it back in October. Unfortunately, this turned from solo effort to full ensemble so quickly after I posted it on the WIP boards that she didn't have a chance to call dibs on anything (DeathbySpoon beat her to the bass part). She's someone that is currently being considered as an alternate vocalist if Cyril's vocals end up not sitting well enough. Cyril's still gunning to do it, so I'm going to take whomever has the best vocals in the end, and he understands that if it comes to it. Cyril's doing one of the brass parts regardless, so considering the way way way small chance of "what to do if this was ever to be performed live", choosing Luiza might make more sense. Just gotta wait for the both of them to get some in.

Wow, I totally forgot about the possibility of a guitar solo. :oops:

If you were up for it, I could definitely sketch a part into the trumpet section...

Just fyi

How about the section from 2:29 to 2:40, and it'll be an acoustic guitar solo followed by acoustic rhythmic playing until the drums come back in? I'd have to play with it a bit, but I love the trumpet solo too much to take time away from it.

Instead of going back to re-write it, there may be two versions: a "radio friendly" one with some form of sound effect censoring of the curse words, and one that's explicit. That gives the best of both worlds. If that were the case, whenever this is submitted to OCR or whatever, I'll request that the clean version be the one hosted and the explicit version be linked to in the mix info/summary. As of right now, though, there hasn't been a decision made.

Oh, that would be amazing. :-)

Please, please seriously consider doing this. Thank you all, and keep on being awesome.

Alrighty, I sent my bass part off to Level99. I'm stoked to hear this come together!

Got it, didn't get to listen before I left for work this morning though. Luiza also got me her takes for vocals, which I have yet to hear as well. I'll do some test encoding for the MP3s to see if that 320 MP3 is going to hold up quality-wise through export and reencoding, otherwise I may just ask you for a WAV.

Now all we need are the brass parts and vocal harmonies (edit: and Cyril's takes for comparison!). Oh, and PR: if you read this before I get to send a message, can you send me the sound files for the Kirby SFX you had at the end? I have the timing down for the spacing but I just don't have the SFX.

Tried playing something acoustic-wise last night. If it does end up working, it's not going to be one of the easier parts I've ever had to play!

o_o

Umm.

Yeah.

Cyril, I'm sorry. But Luiza's vocals are...well, let's just say I need an entire new wardrobe now.

She did a lot of ad-libbing and crazy vocal effects, layering, and tons of other just crazy stuff. I don't even want post it.

So it's official, Luiza will be doing the vocals! And the new bass part is sexy as hell to! Changing roster in OP...

Well, what an interesting turn of events...

Halc messaged me yesterday about the recently cancelled then revived Milkyway Wishes project asking if Ska Buffet could be on it. I told him a tentative yes, pending the Muffins members don't object.

We'd still post the final up here before submitting, and we'd be submitting to OCR as a non-project mix, meaning that if/when accepted, this mix would be allowed to be posted before the project came out. Furthermore, it would be on the project album when it does come out.

Therefore, I open the floor to any objections by the Muffins, though I can't see why anyone would have any. It's like having song be extra featured, but I'm taking the safe route and clearing it before I say yes.

So, what say you, Muffins?