OCR01938 - EarthBound "Psi Piano Omega"

djpretzel

Haha, wasn't expecting this to be posted here. Anyway, yeah this was one of my favorites forever. I don't care if it is not up to his current standards, I just really like it still, it grew on me.

For some reason I always associated Earhbound characters with Charlie Brown (the roundness of his head I guess ALSO LOOK AT POO!) and anyway this really kinda made me feel like Paula was walking around Twoson to go to Linus and Lucy's house.

For some reason I always associated Earhbound characters with Charlie Brown (the roundness of his head I guess ALSO LOOK AT POO!) and anyway this really kinda made me feel like Paula was walking around Twoson to go to Linus and Lucy's house.

That's when I thought when I first heard this. I doubt it's intentional (I don't think Sam is really a fan of Vince Guaraldi), but it's still cool.

This may not have the depth of some of Sam's other stuff, but it's a very satisfying and nostalgic mix and I still like it a lot 4 years after the first time I heard it.

He also recorded some other little Earthbound snippets on piano the day he recorded this mix that I don't think are available anywhere. I'm gonna ask him if it's ok if I upload them so people can hear them.

EDIT: here's the link:

http://www.divshare.com/download/9461711-78c

Ah. I think I actually heard this on youtube as part of this rock candy...'project'.

Really like this, has sort of a ponderous quality to it. Great balance between Shnabubulean virtuosity (while not getting too heavy) and thoughtful restraint.

More mixes d00d! Actually, I challenge you to make an impro remix employing that lh>drums/rh>bass concept you had started on a while ago. That'd be tits

I'd like to comment on DJP's assessment of Sam, he INDEED can play improv as well as most people play arranged. I met him in person once (Great guy!), and he banged out an amazing rendition of Magus' theme on the fly that I will remember for a long time hence.

Sam! If you're reading this, Leon/Aaron says Sup :D.

Same to DrumUltima and Jose the Bronx Rican who were also there :D. And Bahamut for that matter o.0

Hey, a Shnab song!

I feel like this is one of his more cohesive arrangements - good piano playing naturally, but a sense of cohesive flow that sometimes is missing I feel in his work more importantly. I don't remember the source being particularly long, so this makes this all the more noteworthy.

I'd like to comment on DJP's assessment of Sam, he INDEED can play improv as well as most people play arranged. I met him in person once (Great guy!), and he banged out an amazing rendition of Magus' theme on the fly that I will remember for a long time hence.

Sam! If you're reading this, Leon/Aaron says Sup :D.

Same to DrumUltima and Jose the Bronx Rican who were also there :D. And Bahamut for that matter o.0

Wait what? The most I do is sing haha.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To be honest, this was kind of hit or miss for me. Certain parts felt like they flowed VERY well and gave the piece direction and emotion, but the intro didn't do it for me and there were several other sections that similarly clashed with my tastes. I'm in no position to give technical criticism on Shnab's work because his piano-playing prowess is so far above my own, but honestly this didn't do it for me as much as his other mixes.

Fantastic playing, though - that's pretty much a given but even though the arrangement didn't click with me I still found a lot of enjoyment in admiring the fact that it was improvised completely on the spot! You're a talented mofo, don't ever stop doing this kind of stuff Sam!

Admittedly I'm not too familiar with the source, but I still like this. It has a very warm, homestyle feel to it. Not a overly sugary, cinnamon & spice "Welcome Home" feel, but more of a "Mac and Cheese" comfort food feel to it. It has all the things I like about a piano piece: it showcases the theme nicely and has a wonderfully playful sound scape. Definitely a fun track.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Just what I needed today. Nowhere near the dense, dark entangled epics that Shnabubula is famous for, this is actually pretty light, fluffy and chipper. It is of course imbued with the improvised jazz sensibilities that I love, but I really appreciate the change in tone and mood. I find its a lot harder to convey upbeat or light material and also make it complex, so I see this as a rare and remarkable achievement.

My favourite thing about Shnab mixes is that he always makes it sound so easy and this one, while not technically or conceptually his strongest effort, is definitely his easiest to listen to. Brilliant.

• 6 months later...

Oh yes! I love solo piano pieces so much. Not familiar with the source, but from what I hear, the playing was done well here. Great arrangement, better production than some piano pieces I've heard before and a nice touch of happy, quirky jabs. I agree with the Peanuts vibe in some areas. Sweet stuff.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01938 - EarthBound "Psi Piano Omega"