Have you ever cried at a video game?

Jaybell

I recently beat Mother 3, and it was the first time a video game actually made me cry. The final battle is one of the most emotionally draining sequences in any video game I've ever played. I came incredibly close to crying during this fight, and again during the post-endgame sequence where you walk around and everyone talks to you. There was an image in the "cast of characters" sequence that sent me over the edge.

How about you? Has a video game ever made you shed a tear? Or are you too manly for that?

A few moments in video games when i was younger and one recent that really just turned on the waterworks

Chrono Trigger: Losing Chrono, This should have been a precursor in my mind when i was playing FF7. They had killed off main characters before. While you could get Chrono back that entire incident was just epic. A real Tearjerker.

Seph killing Aeris... I was just turning 13 at the time i believe i just lost it. My parents werent home at the time thank god but wow...just WOW. Crying. Then a stone cold rage like i'd never experienced before in my life...one i havent experienced since. I had the water ring which basically negated the attacks of the boss that spawns immediately there after..i just went to town.

FF8 Once you go orbital that one really pulls at the heart strings up until the moment she's freed from the chamber.

The most recent one that nearly made me go over was in Mass Effect believe it or not. Having to make that choice was horrible (players will know what i mean).

Those who say they are too manly for such a thing don't leave themselves open for much. These stories are infinitely better than movies on par with the best of novels and withstand the test of time. To not admit to it in some form is lunacy.

I almost never cry over stuff, but Zelda OoT, man... the end of OoT made me shed a few tears. After all of the harsh battling and the strong demands to use your brain, everything was so carefree and blissful. It was as if everything was peaceful and settled. One moment you're fighting the ultimate beast, the next moment you're overcome by the happiest joy of all.

Mother - the final battle. Giegue is possibly the only final boss I've ever felt a little bad for.

Earthbound - "Pokey Means Business" is some serious music. You go in, thinking it's going to be all awesome and fucking metal, and then he turns off the Devil's Machine. When you see SPOILER "the darkness absorbed Paula's call", it makes you wonder if you're doing it right.

Mother 3 - Events in the prologue and the final battle. I read somewhere that Itoi worked really hard to get the pacing of the lines in the final battle just right. I'd say it definitely worked.

The 7th Guest - You go through ALL THAT for an ending like THIS?

I don't think I've ever seriously cried per se, but I did get very teary eyed during the ending of Metal Gear Solid 4.

I don't think it was necessarily the game's ending itself, though. I think it was the emotional experience of witnessing all the drama from the characters, all of which were staples in my life as I grew up over the last 10+ years, hell even further than that if you want to count earlier iterations of Metal Gear. The characters grew up too; they grew old, they changed too, a few died. It was almost like sharing an experience with a close friend. It was particularly moving because of the heavy investment I had in the characters.

I don't think I've ever cried at music, movies, television, or games before, but the closest I've ever come was the staff roll of MGS4. I dunno, going through that whole series in such a short period of time, and then having it all end with such a beautiful song was really powerful for me.

In terms of moments that made me sad, but not cry, I think anything to do with Saria in Ocarina of Time really hits home for me. Between Link and Saria's final goodbye as he's leaving the Kokiri Forest, and the dialogue after you receive the Forest Medallion (especially "Saria will always be your friend...") is just painfully tragic.

I have. I don't recall every instance, but.. more than I'd care to admit to, I'm sure. XD

It's funny people mention Mother 3's ending, because that was a tearjerker for me. I hadn't played the game, but simply read about it, and decided to watch the ending on YouTube (I knew I'd not be playing the actual game). Even without having played the game, that ending made me all kinds of sad.

Lufia 2. Kinda surprised nobody's mentioned this yet. Of course, I was... What. 11 or 12 at the time.

MGS3. The revelations about The Boss at the end, and then Way to Fall... I played that game for 17 hours solid, front to back, and the whole event hit me like a fucking hammer.

Didn't make me cry, but sheer emotional impact was the fight with Ocelot at the end of MGS4. I never thought I'd actually LIKE the song 'Snake Eater', but when it came on during that sequence, I was deeply affected.

We have had threads like this before, but I don't mind mentioning it again.

Majora's Mask, when you play the Song of Healing at the Goron warrior Darmani's grave. You see the townsfolk cheering for him, and he starts crying because he has to leave all these other Gorons who love him and depended on him. I think it's one of the few games that portrayed death and loss in a competent way (others being mentioned in this thread).

Like some others, I wasn't crying out loud but there were some tears.

SPOILERS are plentiful in this post.

The ending of Star Ocean 3. Despite having the best that cheese has to offer, the music really gets me at the end. Particularly at the moment where he Fate says, "I'm still alive!" I freaking love that part.

I also cried at the end of Kingdom Hearts II, and it was basically all thanks to Kingdom Hearts I. Stories where people who were best friends become enemies at the end REALLY bother me. The whole time I played the first KH game, I just kept tellling myself that I'm gonna get Riku back, patch everything up, and go back to the island. I was so happy when he appeared at the end of KH2. The end of the final battle where you and Riku are working together throughout the fight is the greatest. At the very end, you are both surrounded by mist of lasers that shoot at you one-by-one very rapidly, and you and Riku are deflecting them all together. It's like a thousand lasers, so you have plenty of time to watch it and take it in. That scene combined with the dramatic music probably affected me more than any other in a game.

In short, yes I have and the music was an important part of it.