OCR01169 - *YES* Sonic the Hedgehog 'Collision'

Malcos

Great composition, and even better arrangement. Love the instrumentation and synths. You made good use of Reason's marcato strings.

I have two complaints here. There's almost no dynamics, everything is very strong. Second, the snare is a bit thin. It has a lot of high end, I think it would have sounded better with some middle frequencies. Hihats or whatever they cut through the mix a little too much. These are minor and personal preference issues though.

Strong work! YES

This is a good arrangement of a repetitious song. Violins are an appropriate mainstay, and the play between the pizzicato, synth, and bold drumline is enjoyable. Some of the percussion gets hard on the ears as it drones on throughout the mix; more activity or scaling back on the volume might've helped. Aside from that, there's plenty of variety and balance here.

YES

I'm pretty sure these are Reason strings, so I'll judge them as so. They're damn good samples because they can work in orchestral settings and electronic ones, this tune taking advantage of the latter. They don't sound real to me by any means, but they have that perfect blending of synthesis and reality to complement the synthetic nature of the song. Likewise, Instrumentation across the board is mostly well done, especially the percussion samples that really elicit that "neo-retro" groove.

The overall mix, however, feels flat. There's little differential in dynamics, nor is there a clear presence between the frequency ranges. Much more EQ could be done here. And more DSP on certain instruments, especially verbing the strings a bit more, would help fill up the sound field a bit more. It kind of sounds like I'm listening to a sick techno track through the back door of a nightclub. It's subdued when it should be intense. It's anticlimatic when it should be over-the-top. The arrangement of the builds & drops are fine, but the dynamics and instruments to establish that climax don't seem to hit.

Overall though, i'd have to say it's an enjoyable tune that does well to expand upon the original sufficiently while also giving it a new spin. A bit more busy melodic or rhythmic motifs might spice things up a bit though.

YES

-D