Next DS Confirmed (duh), Will Have Motion Controls

The Damned

http://kotaku.com/5441242/report-new-zelda-out-by-end-of-2010-first-ds-successor-details?skyline=true&s=x

Motion controls on a portable... like, it will track tilting, or it will track you waving your hand in front of the camera? Or both? Or something else?

I'm actually slightly.... not worried, not disturbed, more like a hint of "uhhh, you sure you want to do that?" than anything else.

I guess we'll see when it's announced at E3 (next year?) or the next TSG. It's looking like it won't be for a while though, as DS sales are still strong and steady.

The chip they're putting in there is pretty powerful. It's actually the same one powering the Zune HD, theTegra. The Zune HD also supports motion control gaming, like tilt-based stuff, so it doesn't surprise me that the new DS will have the same. The big problem I would have with motion-control gaming is that playing on a bus or train can get very challenging.

Obviously they're going to release another Mario Kart game with tilt-steering on this. Beyond that, I'm sure they'll find some way to milk their main franchises with motion controls as well.

still not a terribly big fan of motion based stuff

I mean it's neat but in the "oh hey this is kind of neat okay five minutes is enough give me a controller with buttons" kind of way

While I understand that, I would still say WarioWare: Twisted was the best in the series.

Anyway, motion controls are better than the 'camera controls' on DSi (at least as implemented in that DSi WarioWare game).

still not a terribly big fan of motion based stuff

I mean it's neat but in the "oh hey this is kind of neat okay five minutes is enough give me a controller with buttons" kind of way

For a huge number of games, yeah, definitely. But there are a few where motion controls help out a lot, like Metroid Prime. But with the gyrometer I'd expect to see in the DS2, that wouldn't be an option.

I'm glad that the next DS is going to have some more visual house power, not because I want more "AWSUM GRAFX!" but because it may finally force some of Nintendo's first-party developers to finally just say "fuck it" and go for the portable 3D game we've been wanting since the DS came out.

I'm looking at you, Game Freak. You've constantly underused the hardware on every system you've ever published on, and that bullshit is going to stop soon. Next Pokémon game, you're doing fucking 3D models and battles, or I'm going to murder your families, even the house plants. Yes, even the house plants.They will be the first to die, so that you will know that your seeds are forever wiped from the face of the earth. Then your pets, then your children, then obscure relatives whom you may not actually be on talking terms with. But you, you shall live, and know that your failure to optimize and utilize hardware for your games has done this to you.

Any way...

Maybe they can put some better form of media playback on the DS-whatever. The DSi has limited music playback (did you know it takes a 32gb SDHC card? I thought it was only good for 2gb card), but no support for anything else without using homebrew. If they ever get around to the larger sizes (and if the memory card companies ever release those sexy 64 to 128 gb cards they talked about last year), then the next DS could be a very nice little portable system.

maybe *you* want everything in 3d, but what's with this *us* BS? I love 2d.

Notice how it was aimed at one specific company, know for not pushing the limits of hardware... or even looking in the general direction thereof.

Both Zelda games, as well as Metroid and Mario, and some 2nd and 3rd party titles, have shown that the DS can pull of rather impressive 3D, and some wonderful looking artwork. I'm just asking that Game Freak try harder for once.

2D is fine, but it's not an excuse for constantly under-performing, either from lack of skill or laziness.

Notice how it was aimed at one specific company, know for not pushing the limits of hardware... or even looking in the general direction thereof.

Both Zelda games, as well as Metroid and Mario, and some 2nd and 3rd party titles, have shown that the DS can pull of rather impressive 3D, and some wonderful looking artwork. I'm just asking that Game Freak try harder for once.

2D is fine, but it's not an excuse for constantly under-performing, either from lack of skill or laziness.

It costs them less money and people will buy Pokémon games for gameplay anyway.

I know, and I thin that's a the problem. They're resting on their laurels and not really trying to advance their own series any. All the spin-off titles were made by other companies (Genius Sonarity, for example), and while some weren't exactly very good, other were.

I guess they're just like a lot of other companies. Why improve when keeping the same thing is just as profitable?