F-Zero

Pilotwings

Kirby Superstar

EarthBound

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Gradius III

Super R-Type

Super Mario World

Super Mario All-Stars (esp. if you don't own a NES)

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

Zombies ate my Neighbours

Megaman X - X3

Illusion of Gaia

Goof Troop (not kidding - fun as hell game)

Lemmings

Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past

Super Metroid

Donkey Kong Country 1-3

Super Star Wars (and kin)

Super Indiana Jones

The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse

Aladdin

These are the games I have experience with - what others say are totally probably maybe cool, too - just adding/reaffirming some old standbys.

While many people suggested lots of good games I'd keep in mind which games are good on SNES, and which ones are better on rereleases (usually to Game Boy) or even emulators.

For example, Link's Awakening DX is better in its color incarnation than on Super Game Boy. Breath of Fire and Breath of Fire II are released almost exactly (translation errors included) on Game Boy Advance as they were released on SNES.

Tactics Ogre (Super Famicom classic) was never released in North America on SNES, get it for the PSX instead.

Do get Final Fantasy II and III (the translation errors in the original are quite nostalgic and many became inside jokes), as well as most of the action games that show off the system (Uniracers as mentioned comes to mind and it's an excellent game, other games that come to mind are Stunt Race FX and StarFox).

My Must-Own List for SNES:

Starfox

F-Zero

Pilotwings

Kirby Superstar

EarthBound

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Gradius III

Super R-Type

Super Mario World

Super Mario All-Stars (esp. if you don't own a NES)

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

Zombies ate my Neighbours

Megaman X - X3

Illusion of Gaia

Goof Troop (not kidding - fun as hell game)

Lemmings

Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past

Super Metroid

Donkey Kong Country 1-3

Super Star Wars (and kin)

Super Indiana Jones

The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse

Aladdin

These are the games I have experience with - what others say are totally probably maybe cool, too - just adding/reaffirming some old standbys.

Good list. I'd include Mega Man 7 in that stack, as well.

I'll put in another vote for Super Castlevania IV, as it usually goes for cheap (I'm remember there being a copy at a local retro games store that $5)

Super Metroid is amazing (~$20, I love this game more sooo much). Because the physics of the game are just spot-on, the exploration element is fantastic, and the re-playability is through the roof.

Also 7th Saga is really fun (if mind-numbingly difficult), but I don't think I'll be able to play it for another few years because the SRAM battery died on me after I had gotten ~75-80% through the game, and something inside me just died. Also, fun fact, the Japanese version was considerably easier than its north American counterpart (when you fight any of the other 6 characters, they have the same stat-curve as if you had chosen to play them instead always being considerably more powerful than you)

Kirby Super Star is amazing, (my favorite Kirby game of all time really)

Legend of Zelda: a Link to the Past is a no brainer (... get it)

I also heartily recommend Lufia II, because its difficulty curve is med-hard (just the way I like it), and the Puzzles are some of the best that I have ever come across in an RPG. (unfortunately, this one still runs for a collector's price, but i think it would be worth whatever you payed for it, provided it's less than retail).

Also The Lion King cart is totally worth keeping (fun, but I still havent beaten it yet), and I recommend that you also pick up Aladdin, and Disney's Magical Quest: Starring Mickey, the latter two were made by Capcom, and are surprisingly solid plat-formers. (Not sure about the price on any of these ones though)

Another lesser-known gem would be Soul Blazer (RPG-ish, somewhat like Zelda) made by Enix (ActRaiser fans may find some of the SoundFX to be quite familiar).

Also, to answer some lingering questions regarding the super-Gameboy and Link's Awakening DX, it will work on the SGB, but it will play in mono-mode (you do get a really neat SGB border though). As for SGB compatability in general, if it works on Gameboy mono, then it will work on the SGB (it's merely the hardware of a Gameboy stuffed into an snes cart).

Super Mario All-stars is a great compilation.

The Donkey Kong Country Trilogy is excellent, and can be obtained for ~$20 a piece if you keep your eyes open.

All the megaman games (X, X2, X3, 7) are all worth getting too (though if i recall correctly, only X can be found for a decent price)

Super Mario RPG is great, Earthbound is great, FFIII is great, Chrono Trigger is great, Secret of Mana is great, but all of them usually go for a collector's price, so good luck finding any of them.

Another viable (though questionably legal) solution would be to go for a flash cart such as this (I've got one of these) or this (I want one of these), which will allow you to play any game which does not use special enhancement chips.

Oh yeah, Super Mario Kart is fun too, but I suppose Mario Kart 64 was better in just about every way (lots of fond memories though).

I love my SNES, and I hope you love yours too.