Do you listen to soundtracks from games you've never played?

RETROMAN

And Dracula X. It would be mightily expensive to play the original, as PC Engines are not cheap, nor is the game itself. I did play the SNES remake, but that doesn't count.

Bullarkey. Dracula X was still fun and its soundtrack was one of the best on the SNES. It sounded even better than the PC Engine one to me it really did.

And Dracula X. It would be mightily expensive to play the original, as PC Engines are not cheap, nor is the game itself. I did play the SNES remake, but that doesn't count
Dracula X Chronicles for PSP, my man. It's not expensive to play anymore, thanks to that.

Count me in the Chrono Cross camp. I heard the entire OST at least half a year before I touched the game, and I still haven't made it past the first two hours of gameplay since.

Wow, the answer to this topic is hell yes!. LOL. In fact, i've even remixed tracks from games I had never played, such as Xenogears( actually, I started playing it right after remixing it). I also listen to everything Yasunori Mitsuda does, (even if i don't even know which game is from), that guy is a genius. You all should check his discography. Same goes for Nobuo Uematsu.

This is happening more and more with me, as I have less time for games than ever. Much of my ipod always consists of either OST's or Remixes, and I don't think that will change any time soon.

I suppose a lot of the music I listen to is from games I have played, though it has been 18 years since I played them and I only played them once. Lots of that sort of thing.

EDIT

JODO KAST Thank you for that link and for mentioning Crows Claw. I just youtubed "Immortal Madness". If this is an average venture into their music, I will be spending some time getting more acquainted with them.

is all of their stuff like "Blacker than the Blackest Black" or do they have less... metal stuff?

cause that album was way too metal for me but I'm not above trying their other stuff

If you want Crossfire Barrage or Frozen Frog from CROWSCLAW's discography, I'll have them up later this afternoon or evening.

is a sample from Crossfire Barrage I believe. It's been a while since I've listen to the album. It's lighter than Blacker than Blackest Black, but my god even I couldn't handle that album. Far too metal for even myself, and I love metal :lol:

In fact I have some recommendations by ~Xion~. I'll post them in the next post

Edit*

The "Brutal Games for Reminding of Death" album was not too bad, I'd even say their best track from it would be Mimetic Flower though it's perhaps heavier compared to the other tracsk in Crossfire Barrage and Frozen Frog.

Crowsclaw is not the only one doing music for the touhou series. Theres dBu, ~xion~, demitori, and a few more; not to mention that's just covering the usual rockers/metal ones.

Heck click on Yukari (my current sig) for a rather awesome track.

Of course! Actually playing a game takes time and money I don't always have, but listening to its soundtrack is something I can do while at work, commuting, or w/e. I may not appreciate the music quite as much since I can't relate it to the experience of playing the game, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth listening to on its own. Besides, it certainly beats listening to the local rock stations play the same 100 or so songs to death.

EDIT

JODO KAST Thank you for that link and for mentioning Crows Claw. I just youtubed "Immortal Madness". If this is an average venture into their music, I will be spending some time getting more acquainted with them.

You're welcome. You can occasionally find some of their cds on ebay, through the seller champ_des_pins. That's where I got most of my Crow's Claw music. For the remainder I had to scour the internet. One thing to keep in mind is they always use PAEG in their catalog numbers, which stands for "PARENTAL ADVISORY EXPLICIT GUITAR". They also make original music (not from video games) and what I've heard is insanely cool.

Add me to the "never played Xenogears but like the music" list. I actually want to play it but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'd listened to bits of it's soundtrack even before Humans + Gears came out, but once that album came out, I knew I had to fully understand it to appreciate the album. I may not appreciate the emotion or story impact of the music yet, but it's better than nothing.

I did the same thing with Summoning of Spirits although I haven't yet listened to all of the sources from that.

For the most part, a lot of the games whose music I have listened to but not played is actually brought about by OCR. I'll see a mix get posted, get curious, check out the source, then check out the mix. For me, one of my favorite things to do with any mix is of course compare it to the source, which is usually easy but when I haven't played the game, requires a little research.

It's been a good habit, cause without it I never would have discovered a number of gems that are now some of my favorite OCR tracks.

Another thing I did was listen to about half of the FFX soundtrack before I got a PS2 (which was years after it came out) cause I just couldn't help myself and wanted to get psyched for it even though it would be a while before I played it. I suppose the same can be said for some of FFXIII's tracks now.

It happens, but I usually don't listen a soundtrack for a game that I plan to play before beating it at least once.

Anyway, I like to watch/listen the "The Music of Video Games" playlists on YouTube, there are many game that I will never play that have a good soundtrack.

To tell you the truth, it's easier for me to listen a remix from a game that I have never heard about than its original soundtrack...

Another thing: I think that if a game has a lot of remixes (or an entire project) dedicated to it, is surely a game that deserves attention, at least for its soundtrack :) .

I often hear at least parts of the soundtracks before I play the game... if I ever play them.

To me, it's a way to expand outside of the 'sitting down and playing the game' context.

Music has always been one of the main element that defines the experience as a whole for me.

I've never played Breath of Fire V, Racing Lagoon, Front Mission 5 or Bullet Witch, but their soundtracks are among my favorites.

Also, the Ace Combat soundtracks actually got me into Ace Combat games.

I love it because its Yasunori Mitsuda. Can't get enough of his stuff man!

Try the

OST if you haven't already.

You'll probably never play the game (japan only), but there are some Mitsuda gems in there that I'm sure you'll enjoy. :wink:

i haven't even had an interest for final fantasy soundtracks i've never played the games for. if there isn't an "emotional" or nostalgic connection, it's very uninteresting to me. same goes for games that i haven't played period. secret of mana, super metroid, earthbound...never fully played, can't appreciate what most people see in them. o whale

i haven't even had an interest for final fantasy soundtracks i've never played the games for. if there isn't an "emotional" or nostalgic connection, it's very uninteresting to me. same goes for games that i haven't played period. secret of mana, super metroid, earthbound...never fully played, can't appreciate what most people see in them. o whale

I often try to establish a connection.

Example:

I hear a track from a Game > I listen to more to see if the OST is good overall > I get game and OST.

every once in awhile I'll listen to some music from a game i've never played. I've gotten into the habit of checking the OCR front page for new music, and when I find something totally awesome, I'll check out the source tune and (in some rare cases), I'll end up playing a game based off a few songs/remixes I really liked.

I also have that nostalgia connection thing where I don't want to listen to the music if I haven't played the game, but I'm trying to break that. I've been paying attention to artists/composers that have a reputation for making good music and I'll go seek their discography to see if whatever else they've made is good and that will always give me music from games i've never played...it's really hit or miss, but i've heard some really awesome stuff getting music this way :)

Not that often, but it does happen.

I remember hearing the music from Ace Combat Zero's final mission once, without knowing which game it was from. I thought it was one of the best boss themes I'd ever heard. I assumed it was from some JRPG I hadn't played. Imagine my surprise when, years later, I learned it was from a flight sim.