Ambient Internet Radio?

Sir_Snooze

Okay, so lemme give you the story before I ask the question:

It was Friday. I live in an apartment notorious for students, and the landlord was out. You can imagine what happened. I felt like I lived in residence again. It was awful.

While that tremendous amount of suck was ongoing, a friend sent me a link to a radio station called Bluemars/Cryosleep. Between it and Limbik Frequencies, my Friday was made tolerable. I sat in my apartment while the noise went all about; I made tea, listened to these stations, and was happy.

My question is: does anyone a) enjoy this sort of thing; B) understand Internet radio and how to put it onto an MP3 player (I somehow doubt this is possible...); c) Any other stations with ambient electronica playing; and d) artists in that field to recommend.

I've always been an ambient fan - Boards of Canada is a must for any MP3 player I own - but this Bluemars/Cryosleep takes that to a whole new level! I've convinced myself that I like it, and I'd like to find other stations. Most of the crap on Google is either experimental/atonal, BoC clones, or just without variety...

I've thought about using Goldwave to record an Internet radio station for later play in the car, but I've never gotten around to it....but it's fairly simple to get it to record anything that comes through your soundcard.

I've always wanted to morph into more of an actual fan of ambient music and know the names of artists and all, but I've never really gotten there, even though I love the stuff I hear. I sometimes will go to Echoes, which doesn't allow free streaming, find the name of someone that they seem to like a lot, and then either make a Pandora station based on that name or stream a few of their albums on Lala (one free listen of anything they have online).

Wow. Didn't know all this existed! I'm a fan - thanks, guys! I'll try ripping stuff when I get the chance and let you know how it worked.

As for my contribution:

http://bluemars.org/

http://www.limbikfreq.com/

Both come highly recommended by yours truly. Big fan 'o' both. Thanks again, eh?

my thoughts exactly. I was going to reccomend that if no one else had.

+1 to Station Ripper, it works.

Awesome! I'll do that tonight - there's a torrent of Bluemars/Cryosleep which is epic, but Limbik'll be a good addition.

Asaudan: No problem, man!

Well, I also think ambient music is great, I find it very useful when I need to concentrate and work on something. Though I use an app called Radiotracker if I need to record music from internet radio stations.Has a huge database of internet stations and u can always add new ones if you find something interesting, plus it saves the recordings as mp3 files.This tutorial should also be helpful:

http://audials.com/en/how_to_record_stream_capture_music_videos_movies_from/internet_radios.html

I've thought about using Goldwave to record an Internet radio station for later play in the car, but I've never gotten around to it....but it's fairly simple to get it to record anything that comes through your soundcard.

I've always wanted to morph into more of an actual fan of ambient music and know the names of artists and all, but I've never really gotten there, even though I love the stuff I hear. I sometimes will go to Echoes, which doesn't allow free streaming, find the name of someone that they seem to like a lot, and then either make a Pandora station based on that name or stream a few of their albums on Lala (one free listen of anything they have online).

Hi

pandora also doesn't work in my country:

"Dear Pandora Visitor,

We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we can no longer allow access to Pandora for listeners located outside of the U.S. We will continue to work diligently to realize the vision of a truly global Pandora, but for the time being we are required to restrict its use. We are very sad to have to do this, but there is no other alternative."

i have found tv243.com a great alternative for streaming online radio:

"Music discovery website to listen to music and watch videos in shuffle mode. Just by typing your keywords like favourite artists or bands, you will get always new videos each time you make a search. A sorted video starts automatically playing and a list of related videos and similar artists is displayed. When the videos ends, a new video is automatically randomized based on your keywords, performing a online radio channel. Finally, you get all this features for free. Enjoy!"