OCR01994 - Final Fantasy IV "Lacrima"

djpretzel

I've already expressed my thoughts on this mix in the FFIV project discussion thread. The rhythms, the syncopation, the emotions, the title - they all click for me. It's a bit of a deviation from what I'd expect in a FF game but I think in a good way, and regardless that's not an issue for me anyway.

Oh.... lots to like here... very polished stuff from rozo, and imo one of his more rewarding tracks, thanks to all the awesome textures, and touches... it goes seemlessly from one thing to the next, and the percussion really adds an element to his ambient music that I think has been lacking in his earlier ambient tracks (beyond velocity) :P

Nice work man, one of your best, not sure why I didn't pay more attention to this one before actually :D

This is a great track. I really like the feel to it especially early on. I must agree with some of the other posts, I particularly enjoyed it because it was minimal. One thing that I felt hurt it though was that in my opinion it goes a little too far at times with the drums and some sounds.

That said, it's very enjoyable and I think that for most people this is well worth the listen!

Man... now I really want to hear how this sounds without the drums.

You can hear some previous versions here (along with lots of other unfinished stuff and old versions of some mixes). I keep a lot of my older versions online. They might help someone learning to write or mix, they're a nice reminder of how badly I used to fail (so I can forget how much I fail nowadays), and it's fun to hear how far a track has come since the first version. Dunno when I added the drums, but my favorite comparison is between the first and second versions.

tbh, I'm not sure I like the drums here. The idea to use drums is sound, but imo I should have used different drums or different synths to keep their respective sounds a little more together. But hey, it got posted, director OA likes it, and as the album came out this was said to be one of those gems ppl might discover. So I don't mind. :D

My only desire and wish is that it could've been 10 minutes long; it feels like it ends too soon.

Thanks, but dude... I already stretched a repetitive circa 30 second source to 5 minutes. :P And went further with my posted Zelda mix. Patience, it'll be a while until I have the time to make a 10 minute behemoth. ;)

• 3 months later...

The cool thing about this ReMix is if you just listen to it and try not to think about it, it seems like it's over just when it's starting, which is funny to me considering it's about five minutes long. I could chill out to this for a long time. I love pieces like this, and repeat listens are recommended.

• 3 months later...

Well, shucks - I thought I reviewed this one. Ah well, better late than never, eh?

Well, you have a great grasp of the main theme in this one, which make me happy :-D. I always was amazed how FFIV integrated the main theme into nearly every track so seemlessly, and it really shows in this track... perhaps a little too much so to call it a 'Cry in Sorrow' remix, but hey, it's still sweet. Not much you can do there, though - you unintentionally turned it into a FFIV main melody remix by changing the harmonies around a little bit, lol.

It has your signature clean electronica sound to it, which the world needs more of, so I'm happy this is here. If people need something to chill to, this track will certainly do the trick.

• 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01994 - Final Fantasy IV "Lacrima"