OCR TF2: Stab stab stab!

FireSlash

i wouldnt want custom achievements because tf2 already has hundreds of achievements and if people focus too much on achievements it becomes much less of a team based game and much more of each player only caring about himself and attaining that personal goal (which usually isnt in line with the maps actual objective)

its hard enough getting a team to work together as it is

As someone who has ran around a map with the sole objective of blowing up myself and someone else with the equalizer taunt to get the Spray of Defeat achievement (among countless other examples), I can't help but agree with that :lol:.

But actually I think I'd have a lot of fun with custom achievements, I didn't even realize there could be such a thing but I've only been playing TF2 for a couple months-ish.

I could go for custom achievements if the presentation is flawless and it doesn't seem like a cheap addition to the server. It might actually scare people who like sparkly clean servers with little to no additions away, and with our default respawn times and minimal custom maps we're big in that department. Perhaps a test run of it is in order?

It might actually scare people who like sparkly clean servers with little to no additions away, and with our default respawn times and minimal custom maps we're big in that department.

oh wow i completely forgot this

yes this

I don't think that custom achievements are necessary for a couple of reasons. The addition of custom achievements will make the server less vanilla which creates a niche server. Some servers are popular for niche reasons which cater to certain crowds. Does the OCR server want to cater to that crowd?

Another problem that may come up is the visual clutter that appears in game and on the chat box. I don't have any experience with this mod but with recent updates many people have been experiencing lag and stuttering upon earning an achievement. Would this carry over to custom achievements? If so, then I would suggest not implementing it.

The final problem comes from redundancy. Hlstatsx already monitors a lot of useful information as well as gives awards to players without being intrusive in normal game play. The addition of custom achievements might look like we are beating a dead horse.

On another note, custom achievements are fun for the regulars. Obviously some players will be inclined towards certain achievements and this will show over time. I believe this comes down to a matter of why we would choose to implement custom achievements. Are we doing this for random people or are we doing this for OCR regulars?

i wouldnt want custom achievements because tf2 already has hundreds of achievements and if people focus too much on achievements it becomes much less of a team based game and much more of each player only caring about himself and attaining that personal goal (which usually isnt in line with the maps actual objective)

its hard enough getting a team to work together as it is

Last I checked, OCR isn't exactly a Serious Business server. Also, if we're smart about the achievement requirements, we could promote good teamwork instead of killing it. (Model Patient: Kill an enemy that attacked an allied Medic in the last 5 seconds. Just off the top of my head.)

I could go for custom achievements if the presentation is flawless and it doesn't seem like a cheap addition to the server. It might actually scare people who like sparkly clean servers with little to no additions away, and with our default respawn times and minimal custom maps we're big in that department. Perhaps a test run of it is in order?

I doubt anyone would object to a test run. I mean, that's sort of the point of a test. <.<

I don't think that custom achievements are necessary for a couple of reasons. The addition of custom achievements will make the server less vanilla which creates a niche server. Some servers are popular for niche reasons which cater to certain crowds. Does the OCR server want to cater to that crowd?

Another problem that may come up is the visual clutter that appears in game and on the chat box. I don't have any experience with this mod but with recent updates many people have been experiencing lag and stuttering upon earning an achievement. Would this carry over to custom achievements? If so, then I would suggest not implementing it.

The final problem comes from redundancy. Hlstatsx already monitors a lot of useful information as well as gives awards to players without being intrusive in normal game play. The addition of custom achievements might look like we are beating a dead horse.

On another note, custom achievements are fun for the regulars. Obviously some players will be inclined towards certain achievements and this will show over time. I believe this comes down to a matter of why we would choose to implement custom achievements. Are we doing this for random people or are we doing this for OCR regulars?

AFAIK, HLStats only says who has the most instances of a particular action or weapon kill. Achievements have the potential to record more complex actions.

As for your final point, I'd imagine this is mostly for the regulars.

OCR's servers are for OCR community members, not for attracting as-many-players-as-possible.

For OCR regulars.

Personally I don't care if Job-Pubbie gets confused because he got the "NO OVERRIDE - One-shot Kill 10 Enemies" achievement. It's fun and funny for us, and it keeps things fresh. I love getting achievements in the middle of playing, and having some new custom achievements that are OCR related would be a blast.

sorry to interrupt this discussion about this plugin but i have something to relate

16:41 | <<atmuh>> so i was driving home in traffic

16:41 | <<atmuh>> and this idiot in front of me was going so slow

16:41 | <<atmuh>> so instinctively said

16:41 | <<atmuh>> will ya just lets go

16:43 | <<atmuh>> and then i had an idea!

16:44 | <<atmuh>> i had idea that people from ocr should make a complete 9 class soundpack 1 person per class

16:44 | <<atmuh>> i think that would be funny

would anyone actually do that (i fixed my mic and would be the scout)

you could have fun with it and do something crazy like

(although i could do without the swearing)

sorry to interrupt this discussion about this plugin but i have something to relate

16:41 | <<atmuh>> so i was driving home in traffic

16:41 | <<atmuh>> and this idiot in front of me was going so slow

16:41 | <<atmuh>> so instinctively said

16:41 | <<atmuh>> will ya just lets go

16:43 | <<atmuh>> and then i had an idea!

16:44 | <<atmuh>> i had idea that people from ocr should make a complete 9 class soundpack 1 person per class

16:44 | <<atmuh>> i think that would be funny

would anyone actually do that (i fixed my mic and would be the scout)

you could have fun with it and do something crazy like

(although i could do without the swearing)

a2z4 could do every class.

Kidding aside, I would think this would "scare people away" from the server more than custom achievements would (referencing the comment about minimizing server addons). I could see its uses for an OCR only day, but our regular attendance has been slowly dwindling, so even then it wouldn't be used enough to warrant the effort.

I could go for custom achievements if the presentation is flawless and it doesn't seem like a cheap addition to the server.

The only thing users would see in game are A) "Player has earned the achievement Custom Achievement." when players earn their achievements. Additionally, a subdomain would be put on www.ocrtf2.com for players to track their (and anyone else's) progress on the custom achievements.

The Custom Achievements Plugin now looks stable enough to implement on the OCR server, but a few people say they don't think the regular playerbase will respond well to it. Opinions?

I dislike the idea of custom achievements. I could list the reasons already given by others, but instead, I'll mention the ones that actually matter:

It doesn't sound like this is very flexible... it can count kills with certain weapons or classes against certain other classes (or anyone), plus a few specials, like Ubers, headshots, backstabs, and buildings built. And nothing else.

I dislike the idea of custom achievements. I could list the reasons already given by others, but instead, I'll mention the ones that actually matter:

It doesn't sound like this is very flexible... it can count kills with certain weapons or classes against certain other classes (or anyone), plus a few specials, like Ubers, headshots, backstabs, and buildings built. And nothing else.

Take a look at the screenshots in this post and you'll see there are WAY more variables than that. Each section under "kind of achievement" has a longer list of variables, and you can combine multiple conditions to create some pretty awesome achievements.

Valve is porting all their existing Source games to Mac next month.

This includes TF2.

So, tell your Mac friends!

One last thing, if you're a weirdo who has both Mac and PC... owning a copy of one version means you actually own a copy of both versions.

OCR's servers are for OCR community members, not for attracting as-many-players-as-possible.

As long as everyone is in on the joke then I have nothing against it. That being said I really don't have anything for it either. I still worry about the achievement lag bug that some people get. I don't know if this mod would have this side effect. I also worry about visual clutter. That seems to be the reason Hlstatsx was hidden from the chat box.

If achievements do get implemented I would like to see some really difficult ones. When I say difficult I mean IWBTG difficult, I mean harder than the Medic achievements difficult. I think I might have a bit of sadism in me.

Valve is porting all their existing Source games to Mac next month.

This includes TF2.

So, tell your Mac friends!

One last thing, if you're a weirdo who has both Mac and PC... owning a copy of one version means you actually own a copy of both versions.

This should be fun. I'm interested in how the Mac will run with the Source engine. The question that's on everyone's mind is "How do you play with only one mouse button?"

What would be worse: scroll-ball weapon switch.

But seriously, people who play these games use real men's mice if I'm not mistaken.

*has scroll wheel bound to nothing*

...what? I'm perfectly fine with my basic Microsoft Notebook optical mouse!

Also, chalk another vote for custom achievements.

You know, I wish I hadn't waited so long to join idle servers.

Since I started idleing two weeks ago, I've gotten two hat drops and crafted one hat.

So, I've been wearing my Trophy Belt and Backbiter's Billycock lately... but my second random drop (just a few days after crafting a Backbiter's Billycock) was a second Backbiter's Billycock.

Then again, this is why they have the "Rebuild Headgear" recipe!

You know, I wish I hadn't waited so long to join idle servers.

Since I started idleing two weeks ago, I've gotten two hat drops and crafted one hat.

So, I've been wearing my Trophy Belt and Backbiter's Billycock lately... but my second random drop (just a few days after crafting a Backbiter's Billycock) was a second Backbiter's Billycock.

Then again, this is why they have the "Rebuild Headgear" recipe!

Speaking of which, I had two hats until yesterday: The Professional's Panama and the Stainless Pot. Yesterday, I got a third: Master's Yellow Belt. So I craft it with the Panama and what do I get?

Soldier's Stash.

I swear I am doomed to have nothing but Soldier and Sniper hats. >.<