OCR01997 - Ecco: The Tides of Time (GG) "Waves of Stone"

djpretzel

I love you guys.

I looped this remix several times one time. becuase its just that awesome. Of course I was at Magfest when it was announced.

We also got yelled at for running in the halls. :)

I normally would comment on the mix... but things don't win the DOD out of chance. And the write-up pretty much sums up the awesomeness of this.

This is one of the songs that I'm not only extremely proud of, but was a pleasure to work on through the entire creation process. Just some small stories about the song if anyone's interested.

This was not the song we first decided to work on for DoD. There was another one that we worked on for about a week and then decided to ditch for the time-being. We really had to haul our asses to get this done in time for the deadline. Andrew isn't kidding when he says there were multiple nights that he worked on this until 3 AM. Definitely a near-constant back and forth with updates, feedback, and revisions. Andrew was the one who worked with Moonlapse, and he did a perfect job with the vocals. Hopefully, he does a whole lot more in the future (he's got this and numerous FF4 choir stuff already under his belt).

Andrew and I, along with our cohorts at MAGFest, were quite trashed through the DoD listening party. I didn't think we stood a chance against that 10 minute long video entry. So much competition, so many good entries. On the night of the DoD results announcement, Andrew and I were watching the costume contest. We were waiting for our friend, dressed like Mia Fey, to go up when Brad storms through the room and yell/whispers "DUDE, YOU FUCKING WON!" We missed our own win. The crowd was chanting "Holy shit!" and we were nowhere to be found. I ninja'd my way into a few shizzies photos, though. That was worth it.

TL;DR: We're still n00bs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

This song is the definition of polish. It's a very DoD-friendly style (with a bit of extra quantize, so you know OA had his hands in it ;-) ) and perhaps not the most ambitious synth-rock song ever, but it's damn well-executed and absolutely a joy to listen to. Soloing is solid on both parts, the melodies are catchy and fun to play along to... really, what's not to love here? Congrats on the DoD victory you two :-)

• 1 year later...

Wow! This one came as a bit of a surprise to me, actually. I haven't really tried to look into the Ecco OSTs, but looks like I'll need to after hearing this!

This is certainly DoD material, and the playing is solid on all sides: crisp drums and well-articulated guitar make this a pleasure to listen to. The fast-paced, anthemic nature of the song certainly makes me wonder what kind of heat that dolphin's packing...

That "Reaper" sounding intro leading into a full blown fast-paced hard rock anthem is excellent! The solos were absolutely fantastic and I enjoyed the vocals in this. The entire arrangement rocked and the production sounded top-notch. The breakdown around 2:25 was one of the highlights of this ReMix to me. Insanely good ending as well. Amazing work, fellas.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01997 - Ecco: The Tides of Time (GG) "Waves of Stone"