OCR01999 - Final Fantasy IV "Rhymes with Elixir"

djpretzel

This is awful. Seriously. It was a joke track on the otherwise awesome FF4 project, and I can't believe it was even taken seriously. I mean... honestly. Even as an OCR, how can anyone take this as anything serious? Team Gato has the same problem, but at least Team Gato has good music underlying the silliness.

Everything about this is bad. The rapping is loose, and lacks intelligence. The music underneath is repetitive and boring. Just... No. Maybe this would make sense as an April Fool's day flood, but yeesh.

Alright, let me qualify this a bit. I love team Gato, but because it has actual game lyrics, and great underlying music. As far as Rap goes, I think you can't get any more controversial or awesome than Niggaz For Life, which was amazing. So the rap thing can be done and done well. As other mixes have proved (Including one very recently posted.) So it's not the style or the decision to have some fun that's the problem here. The fact that it is an obvious joke, like Music of My Groin (which is only "awesome" because it's so retarded) is what kills it.

This is the greatest song in the history of mankind, and I'm glad to know the identity of the Scuba Divers. Careful, folks: make music that's actually "music" and I'll reveal your identities!

I actually really appreciate this song a lot. Reminds me of the kind of stuff I love hearing on OLR, and back on VGMix 2.0: distinctly camp music that is listenable. Kudos, Divah's. Also the testament to how white this is is that Larry is the blackest person on the mix. We all know exactly what that means, and it's kind of horrifying.

Edit: DAMN YOU, SHAUN! Get off my brainwave.

This is awful. Seriously. It was a joke track on the otherwise awesome FF4 project, and I can't believe it was even taken seriously. I mean... honestly. Even as an OCR, how can anyone take this as anything serious? Team Gato has the same problem, but at least Team Gato has good music underlying the silliness.

Everything about this is bad. The rapping is loose, and lacks intelligence. The music underneath is repetitive and boring. Just... No. Maybe this would make sense as an April Fool's day flood, but yeesh.

Alright, let me qualify this a bit. I love team Gato, but because it has actual game lyrics, and great underlying music. As far as Rap goes, I think you can't get any more controversial or awesome than Niggaz For Life, which was amazing. So the rap thing can be done and done well. As other mixes have proved (Including one very recently posted.) So it's not the style or the decision to have some fun that's the problem here. The fact that it is an obvious joke, like Music of My Groin (which is only "awesome" because it's so retarded) is what kills it.

wet-blanket.jpg

The hook made me smile XD

Rhymes couldn've been more dope though, like djp said. What's up with all the joke rap, anyway? Granted, a gansta/club track almost HAS to be made with humor, given the audience here and the poser-tasticness of the genre in general. But we need more Bronx Rican-esque efforts in the genre, methinks. I swear imma be the first to get a real emcee up in here ;). Wait for it...

Having said all that, I enjoyed this. To the dude wondering how this was taken serious...I think you need to take things a little LESS serious. Seriously. For serious, man. This site is a bunch of video game fans making music and having fun, not a bunch of Uematsu's with orchestras behind em. It's ok man, really ;)

wet-blanket.jpg

rofl 10char

I get the feeling you'd just love OverLooked ReMiX. :lol:

DJP- "However, the Divers still managed to construct something original, catchy, and destined to invoke the wrath of those who hold even the quirky Chocobo theme sacrosanct and/or hate rapping of any kind and/or dislike the notion of an amusing track on an FF4 album, because all Final Fantasy must be serious business at all times."

Wow, is just too funny. :lmassoff: I think DJP saw this comment coming. In fact, I'm wondering if you really feel this way or just humoring DJP's comment, because it's way too close to his "too serious" remark.

That being said, I liked it. The lyrics were corny and obviously a parody (although I thought Shiva's part was pretty hot, no pun). I agree that the lyrics could have been tighter, but this is more than I'd expect. The beat was done well with the original theme and I liked the fact that it kept the same weirdness of the original (and probably made it weirder). Yeah, this is probably one of the best themes on the album.

Woot! Wet Blanket!

Should I be less serious? Kinda. OCR needs all the positive attention they can get, but when one of the most discussed and widely praised songs on the site's frontpage is this piece of crap... well.... Fine! Be that way! I still get to be an opinion. As long as my blanket isn't infused with smallpox I'll be okay with being the lone voice of dissent.

No, FF tracks don't have to be serious all the time. Tracks don't have to be serious all the time if they are good. I said, Team Gato was fantastic and I loved the hell out of a bunch of the other "Joke" tracks. ROBOVoice was another great one. Oh and I forgot about the Black Market. In order to get praise you should either be GOOD -or- SERIOUS (and good enough for the minimum submission standards.) This is neither. It's trying to be both campy and Indi. Sorry, but OCR doesn't really seem like the place to be both poorly constructed and not taking anything serious.

Honestly though, why does anyone care about some guy with a low post count who doesn't seem plugged into the community. Continue to fap eachother off and have a laugh, and I'll take my wet blanket and give an objective opinion about the track. Objective meaning "Not involved with it other than as that of the listener."

Oh and RE: OLR. Driivin in a Tooyyoooooota. I love that stuff, but... not here.

/me ducks and goes back to hiding, using his wet blanket to give a +1 deflection bonus against flame attacks.

Woot! Wet Blanket!

Should I be less serious? Kinda. OCR needs all the positive attention they can get, but when one of the most discussed and widely praised songs on the site's frontpage is this piece of crap... well.... Fine! Be that way! I still get to be an opinion. As long as my blanket isn't infused with smallpox I'll be okay with being the lone voice of dissent.

No, FF tracks don't have to be serious all the time. Tracks don't have to be serious all the time if they are good. I said, Team Gato was fantastic and I loved the hell out of a bunch of the other "Joke" tracks. ROBOVoice was another great one. Oh and I forgot about the Black Market. In order to get praise you should either be GOOD -or- SERIOUS (and good enough for the minimum submission standards.) This is neither. It's trying to be both campy and Indi. Sorry, but OCR doesn't really seem like the place to be both poorly constructed and not taking anything serious.

Honestly though, why does anyone care about some guy with a low post count who doesn't seem plugged into the community. Continue to fap eachother off and have a laugh, and I'll take my wet blanket and give an objective opinion about the track. Objective meaning "Not involved with it other than as that of the listener."

Oh and RE: OLR. Driivin in a Tooyyoooooota. I love that stuff, but... not here.

/me ducks and goes back to hiding, using his wet blanket to give a +1 deflection bonus against flame attacks.

Well, you're definitely entitled to your opinion, mr. blanket. In fact I think one of the positive points about something like this is how it can polarize people. Some see it as sheer camp, other's can abhor its existence. In either case, you gave it a listen, and in the end, I guess that's what music intended to be: listened to.

Now, if you'll excuse me...

*fap fap fap*

Just letting you know, Liontamer and crew, that this is one of my favorite tracks on the album, hands down. It's surprisingly well done, even with the appropriately dubbed "Whiter than Wonderbread" rapping (actually, it wouldn't have worked as well if it was anything else, imho)...

Yeah, if anyone gives you flack for this screw em' - we need more mixes like this one on here, lol.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01999 - Final Fantasy IV "Rhymes with Elixir"