OCR02000 - Donkey Kong Country 2 "Re-Skewed"

djpretzel

This track has a great groove, excellent textures, and some really nice atmosphere. I love that bass synth, it's absolutely huge, and the performances throughout are top-notch. The trumpet harmonies are subtle but solid, and i love the guitar tone. Everything sits well, and the mood is really uplifting and a great sound to end the album with.

I'm certain you won't need my recommendation to pick up this gem. :-)

This is a pretty monumental release, no question about it. I'm not quite sure what I expected from this song once I heard who was going to be involved. It's conservative, which makes sense given how much respect Dave and co. must have for the source tune he created :-P However, it fits right in line with the OCR paradigm with some clever embellishments on the groove, a much-deserved sound upgrade, and some fantastic live instrumental parts from two of my favorite Rareware composers :-) Grant in particular is a beast on guitar, that surprised me a lot!

Great work all-around, I can't think of a better way to celebrate OCR2000 than with what is definitely the most star power we've ever seen on one song. I have a feeling this record will stand for quite a while.

:-D

I was idly listening to Rainwave when I heard this track come on. It immediately caught me ear as pretty well produced, so I took a glance over at the playlist...and saw David Wise...and then Grant Kirkhope...and then Robert Beanland! (admititdly, I didn't really know who Robert was, but 2 out of three aint bad ^_^)

Having just read the writeup for OCR1999 earlier, I immediately knew this had to be the 2000th mix - there was no question. There was no way it could be anything less epic.

Amazing effort, and I look forward to the rest of the album. Congratz, OCR community and DJP, for many years well-done!

I'm beyond pumped about this. What a fitting release for #2000. I seriously have some water in my eyes. I love this game's music so much. VG music has been a part of my life... hell, since Tetris on the original Game Boy. So happy to see OCR come this far, and an AMAZING song for such an epic milestone.

Here's to 3000 - 4000 - 5000 - forever!

Dave Wise, Grant and Beanland all on one OCR track as the #2000 ReMix that started the release of the DKC2 album.......*WWWHHHHHOOOOOOTTTTTTT!!!!!!* Seriously though, this a great track. Dave took a track he did around 15 years ago and molded it into a proud 2010 beast of music! The horns were great, the track easily flowed and I actually find this better than the original because it seems.....em......I don't know if this is the right word, fresher or crisper. Either way, amazing work and congrats to these VGM masters and the OCR crew! See you all at #3000!

Wow, OC Remix # 2000 features the composer of one of my favorite video games remixing his very own stuff. I don't even know what to say in terms of that. But yes, Serious Monkey Business was a great album listen. I downloaded the whole thing and listened to it before hitting the sack, on a school night.

Anyway, this track opens with a cool synth and a chunky bass sample with some pads. The rock has a little bit of and Eye of the Tiger fill that transitions into a section with a latin trumpet lead. Yummy. You get various leads coming onto the scene from electric to saxophone. Dave and crew did some amazing work to upgrade the original track. Lots of variaty and awesome-ness in a 3:21 time package. To type anything further would result in an absolute disaster if I continued with this review as this track is very excellently executed. It's too good for words to describe.

This is a great day for OCR indeed. Download the whole DKC2 Monkey Business album. You will not be dissappointed.

Wow, wow, wow, wow!

This is freakin' amazing! AMAZING in captials!!! What an excellent remix. Expecting no less from the man himself, David Wise. Game music ain't what it used to be. Seriously. The electronica and ambiance are just as good, if not better, than the original. Then to have live trumpet and electric guitars by Robin and Grant...perfect! I love how the sax "skewers" towards the end and goes off-key, makes a very dramatic ending to such a fantastic track. Of course, I'm a sucker for electric guitars in any mix, so I'm loving the stuff here.

Thanks, David, Robin and Grant. Glad you guys contributed to this project and I'm happy that you're still in touch with each other. I've been wondering what Grant has been doing since he left Rare. It's been so quiet from his end especially.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wha, I didn't comment on any of these DKC 2 mix postings? Oh wait, I guess I kind of did with the director comments. :lol:

It was a surprise to see David Wise implicitly enthusiastic about this effort to rearrange his own music, and I'm glad he contributed here, as well as bringing in his former colleagues from Rare into this.

The song turned out better than I was expecting after the first WIP - it sounds like a complete tribute to himself ;-)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02000 - Donkey Kong Country 2 "Re-Skewed"