Nujabes (Seba Jun) Passes Away

Robotaki

I've just caught word of some tragic news. One of my greatest inspirations, Seba Jun, passed away last month in a car crash on February 26, 2010, the same day a magnitude 7.3 earthquake struck off the coast of Japan. He's most well known for contributing a large body of tracks to the anime, Samurai Champloo, and for founding the company, Hydeout Productions. But even so, he kept a really private life staying away from the public spotlight; I think that says a lot about his character. It goes without saying that I'll miss his music. Please check out his tracks if you haven't yet.

You can read more about it here:

http://www.nowpublic.com/culture/nujabes-confirmed-dead-hydeout-productions-2592696.html

---------------------------------------------------

His close friend, Shing02 (who Seba also collaborated with for the Luv(sic) trilogy) says:

Today, I have very somber news for the international hip hop community, especially fans of the independent hip hop scene, and those who have followed my career.

It has been announced that Jun Seba, aka Nujabes, Japanese hip hop producer extraordinaire, passed away late February. Official statement from the label (in Japanese) here:

http://hydeout.net/hydeout/2010/03/_hydeoutproductions.html

We deeply regret the loss of a unique talent and a close friend. Through his soulful music, Nujabes has touched so many people around the world, even beyond his dreams. He was a mysterious character to most as he avoided the public limelight, rarely conducted interviews, so only a few got to know the man behind the signature production. Yet it continued to amaze me how young listeners of all backgrounds learned of his enigmatic name, and expressed support for his music.

As I write now from Japan, I had been leaving him messages the past couple of weeks, trying to get in the studio together, so the news could not have come any more unexpected. Even last week, I passed by his house and called him thinking he was still home.

I met Nujabes around 2000 and as an upcoming MC, I was fortunate to work on tracks such as Battlecry, F.I.L.O, Luv(sic) parts 1, 2 and 3. We had been working on the next trilogy of Luv(sic) over the past year (which we’re determined to see through). The last time we talked in January, Nujabes emailed me to wish Jeff Resurreccion, a 19-year old beatboxer who had just passed way from cancer, his heartfelt condolences.

While we continue to respect the privacy of his family, we will work to preserve his legacy, and pay tribute to the body of work, some unreleased, that he has left for us to enjoy. Jun Seba will be dearly missed by his family, friends, colleagues, and fans worldwide.

in peace,

Shing02p

---------------------------------------------------

I'm currently remixing a track from Poem of Sky and Sea - 5 Centimeters Per Second in a "Nujabes" sort of way, and will be uploading the track to YouTube as a small tribute to this amazing artist and person. I'll post the link here whenever it gets finished.

EDIT: Finished tribute -

REST IN PEACE.

I stared at the thread title for a solid minute, utterly dumbstruck. I didn't know until now. It's a shame his music isn't as widely known here in America. A lot of people have seen Samurai Champloo, but his entire body of work is utterly amazing and really should be checked out. It has the kind of poignant emotional content which is so rare and special. He will be missed.

RIP

Going to do a tribute to Nujabes at the end of next week's Radio Free Gamer. Any requests?

Also, @Robotaki, would you mind if I played your remix as part of it?

I'd be honoured man, if I didn't reply too late.

With regards to requests, I absolutely love Nujabes' extended version of Hanabi feat. Uyama Hiroto. It's quite a rarity (as I couldn't find where to DL the track) but here is what it sounds like:

Cheers