OCR02039 - *YES* Sunset Riders 'Mr. Pink Poncho's Western Rock Band'

Palpable

Remixer: Dr. Manhattan

Submission information:

Game: Sunset Riders

Song: Gunfight at the Sunset Corral (Town Stage 1) and Face With Courage (Town Stage 2)

I used the same brass samples as in Hidrocitiy's Nightclub... but dont be mad at me guys! Hahaha!

Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ssrd 04 "Stage 1", 08 "Stage 3"

Love the name of this song, and I think we have some rule on the books that any song with a reference to the Mexican Hat Dance is an auto-pass.

The brass samples... well, he knows. :lol: They aren't used that much on their own, it was fine with me. The song also runs fairly conservative but you've got an original intro, a solo section, and the second half throws in some new guitar parts. And the drums are a mix of new and old. Adds up to a pass in my book. Sounds like you just had a lot of fun making this. I had fun listening to it.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Damn, if the good doctor had access to a great trumpet player, he'd be an unstoppable force of brassy rock goodness. The brass itself was totally fine when it was part of a unison line, or was backed up by guitars. The only part that they sounded weak was when they had the high solo lines, but it was not enough to drag down the song. The hat dance section sounded good, might have been a soundclip, overall fun stuff.

Production is solid, and the playing is great, with good tones and a lot of variety. Though the arrangement plays it safe in a lot of ways, there are as many if not more daring choices that make this a really compelling track.

I love it, nice work!

yes

Mexican Hat Dance for the win.

Seriously, this track is a lot of fun to listen to. The actual melody lines aren't changed around too much, but there is arrangement in the backing stuff as well as a lot of original solos/sections thrown in.

I can agree about the trumpet being the only drawback, but even withstanding this is a cool track to listen to.

YES

The brass still has issues, but they're positioned well as supporting instruments and aren't badly exposed like in the Hydrocity mix, thank the Lord Jesus with cherries on top.

Agreed with Palp on the arrangement being conservative to start, but getting more interpretive; I'm cool with it. When it's a live performance where the parts need to be learned, I'm more OK with relatively conservative melodic arrangements as long as expressive performance and new supporting writing help make the track interpretive. The percussion work during the verses sounded pretty solid and really gave a lot of energy. The Mexican hat dance cameo should have been more smoothly integrated in the track, but it's not a big deal. Solid stuff from the Doc.

YEEHAW!