OCR02233 - *YES* Streets of Rage 'Four Years Since...' *RESUB*

OceansAndrew

original resub:

http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25793

Original Decision:

http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18725

ReMixer Name: Fallen Seraph

Userid: 21396

"The Streets of Rage" originally composed by Yuzo Koshiro; ReMixed by Fallen Seraph (Wina A. Kamlongera).

Third time's the charm? (Though I do think it would be fitting,ironically, if I had to go through this process a fourth time =P). Just wanted to add in my thanks to the judges for the previous critiques - when does one get lucky enough to have seven judges weigh in their opinion on a track? Much appreciated! Hopefully this version stands better than the last.

I believe the Streets of Rage intro has held itself in my mind since I first heard it. If anybody mentions SoR to me, that's the track my mind immediately brings up. Therefore, I wanted the first mix I submitted to OCR to have a special significance to me...and I think this does beat having another 'Sonic the Hedgehog'/'Final Fantasy'/'Chrono Trigger' first-timer track submitted.

As I started the mix, I knew I wanted to do something a little 'gentle' and almost reminiscent in feel. So as the track fleshed itself out, the whole idea of getting an overview of the city four years after the first game came about (hence, 'Four Years Since...'). I started by expanding the two chords from the source into eight and ran with it from there. I really don't believe I have done much different to it than add a little more meat to the source material - the original track always felt it would be an actual RnB sort of track if mega drive music had that fancy glossy finish that games nowadays enjoy (some may disagree with me there...but I guess that's why we enjoy the benefit of hearing so many varied remixes).

The police sirens at the beginning are of course meant to represent the coprruption of the city, the trio (though they were ex-cops...hm...) or even cops patrolling the city if you like; and the waves at the end represent the final scene of the good ending, which I believe involves a shot of the beach, if memory serves. The helicopter effect was added for multiple reasons but mainly to add to the sense of the track being an overview/scan of the city...or now I think about it, it was to create the feeling of a helicopter flying overhead as the listener/player walked through the city after so long...cliché, I know.

Anyway, enough ranting, I hope y'all enjoy.

-----------------

source

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=53 - "The Street of Rage"

• 1 month later...

Well, I'll definitely say that your percussion is varied and interesting enough, but I still think the song relies on the drums too much. Imagine this song with no percussion. it would be incredibly sparse and weak. The string and EP texture is static and while not bad, pretty bland. There isn't even a bass. There's rarely more than 2 pitched instruments playing at the same time.

Nice groove, but really guys, imagine this song without drums.

NO

• 4 weeks later...

My vote is the same as last time. As a background/mood piece it works great, and I definitely like the varied percussion added this go-round. I'm not sure I understand Jesse's "imagine this song without drums" criticism. It's a simple song and without the drums it wouldn't be much, but you can level that criticism at any number of songs. The melodies are simple but the song holds my interest, and that's good enough for me.

YES

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Mixing-wise, this was muddied up by the booming percussion hits brought in at :39. They were so over the top, it almost went into parody mode. I'd definitely pull that back, or anyone listening to this with a sub on will explode their equipment. That could be pulled back some without adversely affecting the overall sound you're going for.

I didn't like any of the exposed clap usage at 1:42; but at least they were pushed into the background at 1:52.

The mellower instrumentation at 2:32 was a VERY welcome changeup. The sequencing and textures weren't the best, but they ultimately got the job done, even though it's really on the low end of what I'd accept.

I'd like to see some tweaks on the issues I mentioned, but even if that doesn't happen, I think what's there was serviceable. The arrangement definitely succeed in personalizing & expanding the source tune, adding varied, well-written percussion, and creatively weaving the source with occassional original melodies and countermelodies throughout. I didn't agree with Jesse's crits on relying on the drumwork too strongly, I just thought some levels should be tweaked so that this clicks more strongly. But what's here ultimately gets it done. Way to stay persistent with these resubs, Wina. Welcome aboard!

YES (conditional)