OCR01215 - Lost Patrol "In the Air Mix"

djpretzel

Impressive ! Too bad, i'm sure most people are not familiar with the original game, but im sure even those will be able to apreciate this wonderfull piece.

Makke, I salute you. Now, i'm sure theres a sniper on that village over there... let's send Weaver 1st.

8)

More great '80s-inspired (actually, I think In the Air Tonight was '78 or '79) stuff from Makke. If you liked this one, definately check out the Krazy Komets remix; like Protricity said it's more of the same great stuff. The vocals are really solid, and I think the repetitive bassline works just fine -- it acts as a fulcrum for everything else. Processing is very clean and professional.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's my best guess to lyrics. I love this song, and would really like to know if I'm anywhere close.

I can feel them coming in the dead of night

For a lost patrol too weakened to last through the fight

Armies blazing, lighting up the sky

I can hear them closing in the deadly hour

On a lost patrol so weak that they can't do a scour {I'm very confused about this line}

Sniper gazing, deciding who's to die

As the end is gone and (here)

With the light of dawn

I shed a tear for those who've gone.

I can see them firing at us from afar

A lost patrol who don't quite know where they are

As the end is gone and (here)

With the light of dawn

I shed a tear for those who've gone.

I'm not exactly sure about the "here" I put in parenthesis. It's something that rhymes with tear. Everything else I'm reasonably sure is correct. The bold is the deep voice, if you're wondering.

• 1 month later...

Just saw this. I'll try to remember exactly how the lyrics goes...hmm...I think you were pretty close with your lyrics. :)

I can feel them coming in the dead of night

For a lost patrol too weakened to last through the fight

Bombs blazing, lighting up the sky

I can hear them closing in with every hour

On a lost patrol so weak all they can do is cower

Sniper gazing, deciding who's to die

As the end is drawing near

With the light of dawn

I shed a tear for those who've gone

I can see them firing at us from afar

A lost patrol who don't quite know where they are

As the end is drawing near

With the light of dawn

I shed a tear for those who've gone

• 2 years later...

This mix got posted shortly before I joined the panel, and thus survived Lockdown for OCR01250. IMO, the arrangement wasn't significantly interpretive compared to the original Amiga MOD. But since it was already posted and had some substantive interpretation due to the original vocals and some structural changes, it wasn't enough of a violation to be considered.

Stepping away from all that, however, this one is still one of my favorite arrangements. The vocal homage to Phil Collins fused seamlessly with the Lost Patrol source tune, and is yet another example that shows off the depth of Marcus's skills when compared with the other songs in his career.

It's no shot against Mazedude (and honestly, it's apples and oranges), but especially for those familiar with Makke's works at Remix.Kwed.Org, AMIGAremix and C64Audio.com, Makke may arguably be the most heterogenously genre-talented musician in the scene.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...

Funny, some time ago I watched some Amiga longplay videos and was thinking the original tune was pretty good, it'd be fun to try to do something with it. I guess I didn't even think there was already a piece on OCR! This is indeed a pretty fun track. The bass comes off as a cheap old school MOD bass, not in an entirely positive way. That's about the only negative thing I'd say about the piece. Great idea to make it into a song.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01215 - Lost Patrol "In the Air Mix"