OCR02060 - *YES* Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (SNES) 'It's Morphin Time!'

Palpable

Remixer: Willrock

Game Remixed: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (SNES)

Source Remixed: Factory Theme http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDiKzH0SpE0

Remix Name: Its Morphin Time!

Comments: Ah yes power rangers. I don't know about other people but power rangers has always had a strong nostalgic affect on me much like video games did that I played in that same point in time. However, unlike video games, this ended up somewhat lodged in the back of my mind for so many years. Anyway, one day I was looking through video game soundtracks on youtube for inspiration, and I found the music from the SNES game that I didn't know existed :P.

I was shocked at how good it was - think double dragon meets megaman meets street fighter and you might be close. So I decided to try out the classic rock/aor style that i've been working towards for a while now. If you like journey, bon jovi or van halen there will be something for you to like here (the intro was inspired by the 1984 instrumental on the van halen album of the same name :D)

Anyway, Hope you guys enjoy this one, its a little rough around the edges due to me being unable to properly polish it (I lost the file due to a pro tools error) but I hope its good enough to pass. Btw, see if you can spot my little reference to the power rangers main theme ;)

You guys have been wanting breakdowns so here goes:

0:00-0:29 - intro

0:29-0:39 - Source Main riff

0:39-1:00 - Source Verse

1:00-1:23 - Source Link Section

1:23-1:53 - Source Chorus Section

1:53-1:59 - Original Link Section

1:59-2:15 - Source Verse Slowed down/breakdown

2:15-3:10 - Guitar Solo

3:10-3:30 - Source Verse Slowed Down/Second Breakdown

3:30-3:52 - Source Chorus Section

3:52-4:03 - Synth Solo over Chorus Section Chords

4:02-4:25 - Source Main Riff

4:25-4:43 - End

2 Mins 35 Secs Source

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDiKzH0SpE0

Even for Will, this is overly reverbed, though you can make out what counts. I thought the arrangement was excellent and a lot more energetic than Will's previous remixes. Love the dirty tone on that guitar solo halfway through, that was when the deal was sealed. The outro was well-executed as well, perfect comedown. Some production cleanup would have been nice, but arrangement makes up for it IMO.

You get this :350: because it looks cool, but I'm not sure what it is.

YES

It sounds great (but the bass should be louder), and it's a cool tune. This arrangement is fairly conservative though. I'm going to pass it though because of the supplementary parts in the verse and the very cool original section.

You really should consider mixing a little less bright though.

YES

The trade off between the source/solos is solid, and there's a nice amount of variation to the source. Solos are pretty sweet, as usual. This is a pretty cool source, nice find.

I agree with Vinnie about the reverb, it's a little overdone. I feel like things get a little crowded around 3:30, especially since the guitar is almost drowned out a couple times, but that was really the only area I really felt iffy about. While this could stand to be cleaned up a bit, I think it's still good as is.

Good to see that you're still expanding your playing and improving.

YES

I agree with everyone on the excessive reverb - i think you could have pulled off the reverb sound, but you are letting too much of the low frequency reverb bleed through, and it should have been filtered to only let the highs though. I think if the low-end reverb was toned down, you'd have had more room to give your low end some more beef.

The snare is a little static too, I'd suggesting talking with Scaredsim about the snare, because he has a very similar sound to his snares, but has really mastered getting it to sound it's best.

The arrangement is very cool, and the synths are pretty well chosen, but I think think the lead synth is a little buried, and isn't quite as expressive as some of your previous efforts. Guitar playing was pretty good, some nice runs, and though the tapping wasn't completely solid, it was certainly close enough. The intro and outros were very well handled, and that is the arrangement attention to detail that really improves a song.

So, typical vote for me- great arrangement, but the production just barely scrapes by. I really like that you are adding some guitars into your tracks, it's a genre that I am partial to myself. ;-)

yes (borderline)

• 2 months later...